Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103520

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2017
Ok just before Swans fans hang up their collective boots for the season and as a much better alternative to the garbage that has been posted on this site over the last few days, I present to you……. A season review for the Black and Whites.

I thought rather than go back over the deficiencies of the team which have been well documented by all of us throughout the season, it would be good to look at each and every player who has pulled on the jumper this year and comment on our impressions of their season and where in the scheme of things you might see that player in 2017.

Rather than hit you with the 47 names at once I thought I might try putting up 5 players each day with my comments and see if you agree or disagree with my assessment. What do you reckon? Must be better than smelling those revolting mothballs and it may stir up some discussion (with a wooden spoon of course). ;)

The first five in alphabetical order are:

The one and only Tallen Ames ( 16 games, average 10 possessions) – still good enough to go around again I reckon, the only question mark being his body as he missed some footy late in the year. He deserves to make the call as I reckon he would be brilliant as a mentor to the young players.

Nelson Ansey – (11 games average 8 possessions) – used in a variety of roles during the season including back up ruckman. I think he has some potential as a forward.

Todd Banfield (15 games, ave 14 possessions , 7 goals) – had a better back half of the season. His skills can be a little off at times. Should play closer to goal ideally.

Nathan Blakely (1 game, 1 ruck tap) – Nathans injury at the first bounce of the season was the first indication of how 2016 was going to be for Swans. I believe there is some doubt that he will play footy because of his work commitments. Would be a pity because he is a talented big man.

Jarrad Blight (5 games ave 10 possessions) – Pardon the pun but Jarrad is blighted with injuries and has been for a number of years. When he gets on the park he is a critical component of our midfield. Lets hope he can get his body right next year.

There you have it. Any comments on these guys welcome from Swans or opposition supporters who have seen these players as well. I will put up numbers 6-10 tomorrow night
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog, Beasley Hutton, ShinyDuck, ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103523

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks mikeh.

I would have no problems if Tallen was to go around again in 2017 if his body is able to stand up to the rigours of a full season of training and playing. All Swans' supporters will be fully aware of his commitment to Swans over a long career. However, I would be disappointed if he was to come back to play the handful of games to get to his 250th Swans' game.

Nelson's season probably mirrors Swan's season. He certainly did show some potential up forward; I hope that he like the club has a better season.

I thought Banfield' form in the last few games augurs well for an improved 2017 season for Swans.

Disappointingly it seems that we still won't have a duel ruck in 2017.

Blighty and Swans hopefully will have an injury free 2017 season.

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103526

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874
Fair assessment Mike interestingly all of the first 5 players named were troubled with injury during this season I have a feeling that may be a regular occurrence over the next week or 2 as we work through the list!

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103581

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here we go for the next 5 players

Jacob Burnham (15 games, 17 disposal average) – Jacob works hard in the midfield and gets the ball a fair bit but his problem can be poor disposal by hand and foot. He is not on his own with this fault of course but he does seem to turn the ball over a lot under pressure. To become a regular league player, he will have to do a lot of work on this over summer. He is still only 22 I think so there is still time.

Ricky Cary (13 games, Ave 10 disposals, 21 goals) – A mediocre season from Ricky which ended with him playing reserves for the last few games. Since his 50 goal breakout season in 2014, he has stagnated really. Harding was forced to throw him around a bit in 2016 to plug holes in the team due to the loss of other big men and this seemed to affect his confidence and motivation. Injuries didn’t help him either. As a key forward in a Swans team that seemed hell bent on minimising damage rather than scoring goals, Ricky was on a hiding to nothing really. I like him as a player but at this stage of his career he may benefit from a fresh start somewhere else or if he stays having a specific role in a more attacking team.

Josh Cipro ( 1 game, 16 possessions) – didn’t see the game he played last Saturday but 16 touches in his first game is pretty good by anyones standards. Josh started 2016 in the colts and has obviously made rapid progress this year. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has seen a bit more of him.

Aiden Clarke – ( 3 games, Ave 17 possessions)- another player who started the year in colts and he impressed me the only time I saw him. Certainly didn’t look overawed by his league debut. Will get more opportunities next year.

Freddie Clutterbuck – ( 18 games, ave 21 possessions, 96 marks) – one of Swans most consistent performers all season. The only player who took more marks than him was Tony Notte. Freddie played reserves in the last two rounds which completely baffled me. The only reasons I could think of would be if Harding was wanting to expose more younger players or perhaps it was a disciplinary issue. I hope its not because Freddie has told the club he is moving next year as his determination would be missed.

Thoughts on any of these guys?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103583

• Peter North
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
What is the go with Ricky Cary I heard whispers at the beginning of the year a player swap between Cary and Stack was on the cards, I would of done that in a heart beat he's a very good forward when he's in form

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103585

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Peter North wrote: What is the go with Ricky Cary I heard whispers at the beginning of the year a player swap between Cary and Stack was on the cards, I would of done that in a heart beat he's a very good forward when he's in form

Not sure, to me he has looked disinterested this year at times but that may be a confidence thing. He has also picked up niggling injuries when he appeared to be coming into form. 2014 was a good year for Swans and he played very well in a team that was performing. Maybe a swap for Stack would revitalise both players.

Last edit: by mikeh.

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103587

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874
I actually thought Clutterbuck was a bit disappointing Mike. I know he had virtually no pre season which made it even more strange that he was picked for Round 1. Burnham can find the footy ok but would like to see it in more dangerous positions on the ground and as has been discussed needs to continue to work on his disposal and decision making at times. With Ricky I wish they would just leave him forward not that we could get it up there much although he didnt finish many games this season with niggling injuries and knocks.
Clarke a nippy left footer with a decent kick on him and Cipro a strongly built inside mid are 2 of our most promising Colts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeh

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103591

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
With Clutterbuck I had forgotten that he had no pre season so maybe he simply ran out of gas at the end of 2016? Hopefully with a full preseason he will be much better again next year.

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103592

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
I wonder if your fitness guru's will be scrutinized over the break.......many a mention of poor fitness levels by you boys over the season and a few injuries to boot for a few of those SD losses this year....may see a few changes perhaps.....isnt Ames a personal trainer?.....or perhaps I am thinking of ex Shark Robbie Young?

2016 player assessment 7 years 7 months ago #103594

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Freezin wrote: I wonder if your fitness guru's will be scrutinized over the break.......many a mention of poor fitness levels by you boys over the season and a few injuries to boot for a few of those SD losses this year....may see a few changes perhaps.....isnt Ames a personal trainer?.....or perhaps I am thinking of ex Shark Robbie Young?

When a football team has had the sort of season that Swans have had, I would hope that everything in the football operations area would be reviewed. Not sure about Ames but if he decides to retire, I think he would be snapped up for an Assistant Coaching role.

Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 2013 guests and one member online

• one time only

Newest Footy Recruits

• AbrahamErype
  • whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric