Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99273

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2872
Following on from the successful SDFC Greatest Indigenous Team during NAIDOC week last week I have also attempted to come up with our Greatest Multicultural Side with it being the multicultural round in the AFL (not sure if for the WAFL as well).
Interested in the thoughts of Swans fans and those from other clubs with a genuine interest and I apologise to anyone I may have missed and to those who played before 1980 as I did not get too see you in action personally.
For those who were around in the 40s, 50s, 60s & early 70s where or would the likes of Rakich, Radaich, Sangalli, Sarich, Milanko, Botica, Trifunovich et al fit into the side?
All those with English, Scottish, Welsh & Irish backgrounds have not been included for obvious reasons nor Andrew Krakouer & Clancee Pearce who were both chosen in my SDFC Greatest Indigenous Team.

BA) Bill Skwirowski, Alan Cransberg, John Laurito
HB) Mick Grasso, Tony Notte, Stan Nowotny (C)
CE) Geoff Passeri, Matt Riggio, Steve Bazzo
HF) Mark Piani, Peter Sartori, Brendan Retzlaff
FO) Craig De Corsey, Llayne Spaanderman, Daniel Wulf
RU) Nic Naitanui, Stephen Coniglio, Shane Beros (VC)
IN) Jeff Sartori, Aaron Elari, Matthew Jukes, Len Gandini, Chris Vlahov, Shaun Hildebrandt, Ron Skender, Blaine Boekhorst, Craig Hoyer, Mark Olsen
EMG) Steve Potente, Eddie Bauskis, Bob De Graaf, Rex Carlshausen, Andrew Tigchelaar, Dean Ipaviz, Paul Werner, James Grabski

Hopefully in the years to come I am able to add the likes of Nuich, Yukich, Erceg, Coniglio, Grescos, Wityk, Cipro et al to this side after having fine careers at the Mighty Black & Whites but at this stage it is too early in their footy careers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mayor of Midland, Dirty Weekender, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99274

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543
BH..love your work and your attempt to generate some discussion but most of these guys are probably 4th or 5th generation Aussies. Just because they have a vowel or unusual name doesn't necessarily mean they're from a different culture, they're probably as Aussie as you and I....Christ...in Australia we're all from a different culture.

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99275

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Nicw work BH.The only players i can add to the squad is Steve Galespie.,Peter Nuich Shane Bugunovitch .Peter Nuich in the news a few years back.Struck by lightning playing golf at the Vines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by gtrxuone. Reason: missed a line

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99276

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 373
Blast from the past with some names there BH...Tigchelaar, Rex Carlhausen and Bob de Graaf in particular....amazing how easy memory fades
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99278

• Beasley Hutton
Thanks boys it took a bit of research but as we all know the SDFC is one if not my favourite subject! :P
BC take a chill pill it is just a bit of fun mate, I am sure the SF & WP Garlic Muncher sides contained 4th & 5th generation born Aussies as well, it is just good to see those from other cultures adopting the greatest game on earth rather than the futbawl they would be more accustomed too or god forbid as LH has pointed out in his research we went down the bum sniffers game route before gold was discovered in the West (see Unk I can praise the Vics occasionally). :dry:
GTR yes I had Peter Nuich & Shane Bogunovich down as emergencies at one point before I discovered a few boys from more recent days were eligible. Steve Gillespie could be one I missed mate?
DW yeah mate nearly 30 years since those fellas you named played at Swans scary to think really where has the time gone? :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99282

• Beasley Hutton
I remember Steve Gillespie well mate both at the Black Ducks and then as Captain/Coach at Kalamunda who I followed in the old Sunday Football League in the mid 80s including leading the Cougars to back to back Premierships in 84/85. I just didn't realise he was from an ethnic background?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99283

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543
yes mate...anglo saxon...maybe a team of white non-ethnic players would be the go as they seem to be in the minority up at bogandean. ;-)

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99284

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
You are 100% on the money BH.The origins of the name Gillespie are Scottish/Gaelic.So Steve does not qualify for our multicultural side.

Last edit: by gtrxuone. Reason: typo

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99289

• Beasley Hutton

BC wrote: yes mate...anglo saxon...maybe a team of white non-ethnic players would be the go as they seem to be in the minority up at bogandean. ;-)

That is because the SDFC have always welcomed everyone to our great club regardless of your gender, colour, race, religion, origins, wealth etc unlike certain other clubs in the past BC!

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

SDFC Greatest Multicultural Team 7 years 8 months ago #99293

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH: good one -- I would also add Craig Hoyer to that good team.

Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 393 guests and one member online

• Success Hill

Newest Footy Recruits

• BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL