Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98698

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1194
Some excellent players named for Swans - Keith Narkle was one of the most composed & calm users of the Footy I ever saw anywhere

Cates was unbelievable at times too , Phil Narkle , well he was Phil Narkle , such a shame those horrible Vicco grounds ruined his ankles in the end

Peter Ware was a very very good player

I also remember another Thorne from Bunbury who never quite got there , a full-forward named Kernut Thorne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98708

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Southerner..Kieth Narkle was also a small man in height and body weight.Back in that era being a very physical game you had to be good.With Keith body size to play.
Remember thoes bad couple of years for Swans 1976-78.Every week the best Swans players where Narkle,Nawotney, listed in the paper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98711

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 154

gtrxuone wrote: When you go back to the 1960`s there wasn't a lot of Aboriginal players in the Wafl.The ones that where playing where out and out champions.Whinnen.Dempsy.Farmer,Cable,Jackson.They where the players that got it all going.It all started in Wa in that era.
Swans in there 1st hatrick didn't have an indigeriois player.Kieth Narkle late 60`s Swans first aboriginal champion!!!
Was there a swans player before Kieth Narkle!!

Good question. Might be one to ask Sean Cowan in the footy budget. Despite the many quality Indigenous footballers at Swans since the mid-1970s, I always think of EP leading the way in that field - Farmer, Hunt, Roe, Kilmurray and Jackson all in the 1950s and 1960s. Two of the five won Sandovers, while one finished with the most votes in 1963 but was ineligible due to a striking charge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98717

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1358
Phil Narkle was a brilliant footballer but I remember Oral McGuire used to get the better of him in their head to head duels. I could never quite work that out. Maybe Oral cast a tribal spell on him. :lol:
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98718

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
DD that same business use to go on between the krakours and Narkle brothers also.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98719

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1194

gtrxuone wrote: Southerner..Kieth Narkle was also a small man in height and body weight.Back in that era being a very physical game you had to be good.With Keith body size to play.
Remember thoes bad couple of years for Swans 1976-78.Every week the best Swans players where Narkle,Nawotney, listed in the paper.

Toddy's onfield general - an extremely fair ambassador of the game , I cannot recall him ever fronting the tribunal

Size means nothing if the heart & skill is big mate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, gtrxuone

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98730

• waflfootyfacts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 257
Great topic BH!

Here's the full list of every Swans since inception in 1934. There was a Joseph Kneebone that played 3 games in 1934, not sure how many others before Keith Narkle.

Maybe some names here can jog your memories of indigenous players that have worn the black and white. Hint: you can sort by career span by clicking the table header if it's easier.

Also, Clancee Pearce is of Indian decent I believe.

waflfootyfacts.net/teamallplayers.php?Team=Swan%20Districts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, gtrxuone

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98733

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2874

Southerner wrote: Some excellent players named for Swans - Keith Narkle was one of the most composed & calm users of the Footy I ever saw anywhere

Cates was unbelievable at times too , Phil Narkle , well he was Phil Narkle , such a shame those horrible Vicco grounds ruined his ankles in the end

Peter Ware was a very very good player

I also remember another Thorne from Bunbury who never quite got there , a full-forward named Kernut Thorne

Hey mate I believe Kernut was Tom Thorne's younger brother. Kernut kicked a lot of goals in the SWFL and he kicked 10 goals in a pre season game for Swans in 1988 but went back home after only 1 game unfortunately.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98734

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2874

waflfootyfacts wrote: Great topic BH!

Here's the full list of every Swans since inception in 1934. There was a Joseph Kneebone that played 3 games in 1934, not sure how many others before Keith Narkle.

Maybe some names here can jog your memories of indigenous players that have worn the black and white. Hint: you can sort by career span by clicking the table header if it's easier.

Also, Clancee Pearce is of Indian decent I believe.

waflfootyfacts.net/teamallplayers.php?Team=Swan%20Districts

Hi Ric, I thought the same in regards to Clanc & his Indian heritage but I remember a few years back there was a photo in the paper of all the Freo aboriginal boys together for the AFL Indigenous Round and Clanc appeared in that hence why I included him in our SD Greatest Indigenous Team.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 9 months ago #98737

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BH do know of any Swans Aboriginal players before Keith Narkle.Success Hill had some East Perth players from the 50"s and early 60:s

Last edit: by gtrxuone. Reason: typo
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 490 guests and 3 members online

• Whitey
  • Big Blue
  • Ti Em

Newest Footy Recruits

• Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977