Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98630

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2872
With the start of NAIDOC Week I thought it was an opportune time to have a go at picking my Greatest Swan Districts Indigenous Side of all time from the more than 70 Aboriginal/TSI boys that have pulled on the Famous Black And White Guernsey in a League game in our 82 year history.
Most of the boys are from our city and country zones plus a few fellas recruited from NT/QLD.
Would be interested in what other Swans fans opinions are and also those from other clubs with a genuine interest.

BA) Peter Ware, Craig Holden, Graham Jetta
HB) Clancee Pearce, Danny Penny, Neville Jetta
CE) Keith Narkle (C), Garth Taylor, Phil Narkle (VC)
HF) Lewis Jetta, Kevin Caton, Charlie Cameron
FO) Chris Yarran, Troy Ugle, Jeff Garlett
RU) Tom Thorne, Michael Walters, Andrew Krakouer
INT) Kevin Taylor, Joe Ahmat, Jamie Bennell, Kirk Ugle, Marlon Motlop, Dayle Garlett, *Murray Newman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog, BC, mikeh, 1986, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98632

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
Showing my age here BH but I have had the pleasure of seeing every one of those boys play for the Black and Whites. Peter Ware was one of my all time favourite players with his dash and high marking. Would be interesting if other clubs could put their teams out. In particular would love to see a South Freo team. How about it Southerner, Bazza , Dwert or other SF fans?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98633

• Beasley Hutton
So have I Mike all bar Tom Thorne who played successfully in a very strong SANFL in the early 80s after leaving Swans in 79.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98636

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543

Beasley Hutton wrote: With this week being Naidoc Week I thought it was an opportune time to come up with the SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side of all time from the more than 70 Aboriginal/TSI boys that have pulled on the Famous Black & White guernsey in a League game since our inception.
Most of the fellas are from our country & city zones plus a few boys came from NT/QLD.
Below is the team I have chosen would be interested in other Swans fans thoughts and those from other clubs with a genuine interest.

BA) Peter Ware, Craig Holden, Graham Jetta
HB) Clancee Pearce, Danny Penny, Neville Jetta
CE) Keith Narkle (C), Garth Taylor, Phil Narkle (VC)
HF) Lewis Jetta, Kevin Caton, Charlie Cameron
FO) Chris Yarran, Troy Ugle, Jeff Garlett
RU) Tom Thorne, Michael Walters, Andrew Krakouer
INT) Kevin Taylor, Joe Ahmat, Jamie Bennell, Kirk Ugle, Marlon Motlop, Dayle Garlett, *Murray Newman

well done BH...not often I compliment you bogans but that's a great initiative on your part and well timed to boot. That side would beat just about any other WAFL team going around over the years.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98639

• Beasley Hutton
I hope when I review the side I have chosen above in years to come to be able to add a number of current boys that have had a taste of League footy and who are the future of the club with their best footy still to come eg Riddoch, Dean, Wilson, Ansey, Hackett, Fletcher, Nelson and a few of the very exciting young Colts boys.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98652

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Nice work Bh.Decent side on paper..Graeme Jetta,Peter Ware,Kieth Narkle,Tom Thorne,.All great players that didnt play Afl/Vfl..But would of done so easily.
1978 Kieth Narkle kicked a goal from the centre of Bassendean oval.Torpedo Punt.John Duckworth from West Perth done the same in that match..Keith never played a bad game for Swans over 250 games.He stared in his last game the 84 Grand Final.
Phil Narkle made his debut aged 16.He would of stared in modern day Afl.You could talk for hours about this NaidocSwans team.

Last edit: by gtrxuone. Reason: typo

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98653

• Beasley Hutton
I would be getting a front row seat at Basso to see that side take the park together in the Famous Black & White that is for sure. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98680

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386
What a brilliant side mate! This would be an interesting exercise for each club across the comp to do a similar side and match them up. A privilege to see all of these blokes go around apart from Thorne like yourself
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98686

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 151
Pretty good BH - there's some skill there. It does show, however, that many of Swans' Indigenous men were of similar build. Apart from Kevin Caton, that's a short goal to goal line. The hypothetical team might get beaten in the air (albeit with a few Caton and Tommy Thorne screamers) and in the ruck, but it would be unbeatable once the ball hit the ground.

SDFC Greatest Indigenous Side 7 years 8 months ago #98694

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
When you go back to the 1960`s there wasn't a lot of Aboriginal players in the Wafl.The ones that where playing where out and out champions.Whinnen.Dempsy.Farmer,Cable,Jackson.They where the players that got it all going.It all started in Wa in that era.
Swans in there 1st hatrick didn't have an indigeriois player.Kieth Narkle late 60`s Swans first aboriginal champion!!!
Was there a swans player before Kieth Narkle!!

Last edit: by gtrxuone. Reason: missed line
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 500 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes