Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96179

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2874
With the state game on this weekend and then the bye for us the week after I thought it was timely to do a mid season report on the side.
It has been well documented the lengthy injury/illness/absentee list so far but it does not excuse the lack of competitiveness that has been sadly apparent in probably all bar the Claremont game early in the season which may well have gone down the same path if Claremont had kicked 8.4 instead of 4.8 from their 12 scoring shots in the 1st qtr of that clash.
Having only managed to kick a pitiful 82 goals in our 11 games it is no surprise we sit stone motherless last and it is actually been horrific to watch a club that has worked really hard on and off the field since 2012 to turn around our fortunes fall so badly away.
So far in only 11 games we have used around 40 players already which also has made it hard to get any sort of momentum going from qtr to qtr let alone week to week.
What has been horribly evident is how out of touch we are behind every other club in terms of fitness, skills, strength, leadership, endeavour, desire I could go on and on.
It might be timely now to have a getaway as a whole group both players, coaches, some officials and have a serious discussion away from the club to thrash out some reasons from all sides of the argument on why we have fallen away so far behind every other club and some ideas on how to fix or repair a season that is fast becoming a train wreck over a few drinks and at least try and enjoy each other's company as it appears as an outsider peering in there are distinct groups within the club.
Although finals football is already out of the equation for our League side there are still 9 games to go and we can at least take some steps to get something out of the rest of the year using it as a preparation starting point for Round 1 2017 be it by starting to win contests, qtrs, halves,trying to ruin other clubs finals hopes etc otherwise the next 9 games will seem like an eternity if the status quo continues.

Scorecards after 11 rounds:
League- F
Reserves- C
Colts- B
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeh, Dirty Weekender

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96188

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
to be perfectly honest BH...after watching the game on tv yesterday I didn't think your guys were all that bad. sure it got ugly towards the end but you've should remember there were only 3 goals in it half way through the last quarter. i think injuries not only play a big part in performance but more importantly it affects on field leadership and I think that's where your mob are lacking. i wasn't a big fan of Josh Roberts but he did set the tone on field and it appears to me that your guys are missing somone of that ilk...someone who will put his body on the line, gut run and lead by example. where that person is going to come from I'm not sure but you've got some terrific young blokes and one or more of your senior players needs to step up to show them the way. just my opinion as an outsider looking in.

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96190

• Beasley Hutton
Fair enough BC thanks for your input sometimes an outside observation can see things in a different light to those of us who observe week in week out and have expectations on the group that maybe they are not yet ready to achieve.
Anyways I for one am looking forward to a few weeks break as it has been tough viewing so far this season and not a lot of fun to be honest, maybe the break will do us all the world of good!

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96191

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
Yep, feeling the same pain as you are BH. Its no fun going to Basso when you know the team is going to get pumped. I think you made some really good suggestions there about how they could use the break. I too have noticed that the enjoyment just doesn't seem to be there this year amongst the playing group, I am constantly comparing this year to 2014 when they had a lot of inexperienced players as well but in contrast they played with freedom and without fear and look where that got them.

I think that the remaining 5 players from the 2010 premiership year namely Ames, Simpson, Notte, Jetta and Riggio need to show the way here, both in terms of being accountable for their own performances every week but also leading the way and encouraging the younger guys to take some risks.

A lot can be achieved in the last 9 games in terms of getting some momentum into next season, not necessarily by winning lots of games but at least being more competitive than they were yesterday. This may also lift the spirits of supporters like you and me.

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96192

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015

BC wrote: to be perfectly honest BH...after watching the game on tv yesterday I didn't think your guys were all that bad. sure it got ugly towards the end but you've should remember there were only 3 goals in it half way through the last quarter. i think injuries not only play a big part in performance but more importantly it affects on field leadership and I think that's where your mob are lacking. i wasn't a big fan of Josh Roberts but he did set the tone on field and it appears to me that your guys are missing somone of that ilk...someone who will put his body on the line, gut run and lead by example. where that person is going to come from I'm not sure but you've got some terrific young blokes and one or more of your senior players needs to step up to show them the way. just my opinion as an outsider looking in.

BC I know that we were in the game till early in the last quarter but I think the scoreboard flattered us because Perth wasted so many opportunities throughout the game. It felt like a 10 goal margin a long time before it was.

Last edit: by mikeh.

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96263

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH -- good report. I think, when all is considered, the club has simply run out of footballers for the time being; that is, some players are out of form, some have left the club, others have been injurred, factors, which, when taken all together, has left a depletted side. In reminds me a little bit of Subiaco in the 81-2 period, as the Lions had a reasonable side in the first year -- much as SD last season -- but in 82, lost upwards of ten players for various reasons, including suspension, and, as result, the hole season turned into a bloody shambles.

Mentioning 82 is a good omen for an improved performance from SD for the rest of the season, and I am certain, in future years.

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96275

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374

ArkRoyal wrote: BH -- good report. I think, when all is considered, the club has simply run out of footballers for the time being; that is, some players are out of form, some have left the club, others have been injurred, factors, which, when taken all together, has left a depletted side. In reminds me a little bit of Subiaco in the 81-2 period, as the Lions had a reasonable side in the first year -- much as SD last season -- but in 82, lost upwards of ten players for various reasons, including suspension, and, as result, the hole season turned into a bloody shambles.

Mentioning 82 is a good omen for an improved performance from SD for the rest of the season, and I am certain, in future years.

Whilst I can appreciate your understanding Ark there is no more time for further excuses at our club. Once effort levels return to an acceptable standard then maybe we can blame lack of firepower. At the moment effort levels from all, especially from our senior players is deplorable. Monday aside from Riggs our senior players had little impact on the game if any. It's too ugly at the moment to offer excuses, some ownership by the playing group needs to be taken or will we never improve. Pretty much what Hardings tirade at quarter time was about and 100% on the money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96276

• Beasley Hutton
Dead right DW I hate to say it again but other than the win against Claremont which Claremont butchered early the acceptable standard in every endeavour be it skills, second efforts, 1%ers, expected from a WAFL League side have been so far from the mark it is not funny and yet I haven't really seen anyone let alone the 22 taking the field even appear to stand up and want to put an end to it!
The time for excuses is over as being 1-10 is football crisis time in my opinion as it threatens to undo all the good work done by the current administration in getting the club back in the black!

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96278

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1357
IMHO from an outsider I think Harding is getting off lightly and quite remarkable he recently got a contract extension. He clearly made an error of judgment in playing Elari as a small forward instead of in the guts where he does his best work it seems you guys have gone from bad to worse since his departure and if my memory serves correct you paid full dollar for him and chased him for a couple of years.
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Last edit: by DD.

SDFC Mid Season Report 7 years 10 months ago #96280

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Spoke to a 2010 premiership player the other day,long removed from the club.Watched Swans v Claremont on Ch7 and was just #/$#@%/$#.at the way Swans are playing.Even a recently retired player from another club who was also shocked.
But the view of a lot of outsiders not knowing the daily workings of the club is just stick with the young players. (Really no choice in that anyway) and keep in contact with the bus load of ex Swans players in the Afl.I have no doubt that Nick Natanui will finish his footy career at Swans where he started his career.As just 1 example of a player that will end up back at Swans in the future.
Also the question has to be asked can Swans get Swoop back from Melbourne where he now lives.To join the Harding+Malaxos coaching team.That 1/4 time spray on Monday would be right up his alley.

Last edit: by gtrxuone. Reason: missed a line
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 321 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977