Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1172

• MikeXU1
  • MikeXU1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Swan Districts FC
  • Thank you received: 0
Sydney Swans slam claims team is unwilling to draft indigenous players

Jay Clark
November 28, 2012 12:00AM

Sydney Swans slam claims team is unwilling to draft indigenous players

SYDNEY Swans recruiting manager Kinnear Beatson has hit back at explosive allegations that AFL clubs are ill-prepared and increasingly unwilling to draft indigenous players.

Former Fremantle recruiting boss Phil Smart re-ignited the AFL's simmering race row with bold claims that clubs were unfairly discounting indigenous draft hopefuls because of off-field issues.

In a blunt attack, Smart said AFL clubs did not have a good handle on recruiting indigenous players and described modern-day recruiting strategies as sterile, after only three indigenous players were drafted on Thursday night.

"If they're not prepared to take a risk with some of these young talented indigenous players because Swan Districts has dropped Dayle Garlett a couple of times for being late to training, I think it is appalling,'' Smart said.

"The photo that was in the West Australian - of him having a drink and a cigarette on the back page of the paper on the day of the draft was appalling.

"Just go to any AFL club's Mad Monday, and you would find the same thing.''

Smart said part of the problem was there were no indigenous people among full-time recruiting staff at AFL clubs.

But Beatson defended the Swans' recruiting philosophies, saying the colour of a draft prospect's skin was irrelevant to the club's recruiting choices.

Beatson said clubs had to be diligent about draft prospects' character and off-field aptitude, regardless of race.

"It's not an indigenous issue,'' Beatson said. "The issue is whether the player has got the discipline and work ethic to succeed at AFL level.

"The colour of their skin is immaterial to us.

"I can tell you four or five players that we wouldn't have taken for similar (off-field) reasons whose skin was white. One got drafted, the others didn't.

"I'd back it with my life the reason the others weren't drafted was the concern about work ethic and concern about their ability to meet requirements at AFL level.''

Asked on 3AW whether it was a race-based issue, Smart said: "I have no doubt it is. None at all.''

Smart has mentored some of the AFL's leading indigenous talents, including Garlett, since leaving Fremantle to join WAFL club Swan Districts.

Smart said clubs were guilty of over-analysing indigenous players' backgrounds without appropriate resources.

"I don't really think a lot of the clubs have really got a good handle on some of the indigenous players,'' he said.

"Not just Dayle Garlett. Shannon Taylor from Claremont Football Club, how he never got drafted amazes me.''

Smart said he believed clubs were more open to drafting non-indigenous players with off-field troubles than indigenous prospects with similar issues.

"I would say there would be many players that are non-indigenous that have had the same issues that have been drafted and ... I think that's unfair,'' he said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1175

• ucker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Smart has a short memory, other indigenous swan disticts' draftees have gone to AFL clubs with very dark clouds over their heads regarding "off field troubles" and have been managed and have performed well at their respective clubs

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1176

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
i'd say the point he is making Ucker that it seems as though there has been a shift in the thinking of AFL clubs in regards to this years draft..

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1181

• The Truth
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED BY OZFOOTY.NET ADMINISTATION

Please DO NOT post your grievances in this Forum. This contravines the Terms & Conditions of using OzFooty.Net services.

Posting to this forum is a privelege not a right, annd we simply will not tolerate harrasment of other users in the form of airing your grievances.

You have been warned.

OzFooty.Net Admin.

Last edit: by OzFooty.

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1183

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
it has nothing to do with the Swan Districts football club

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1187

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
it has nothing to do with either

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 4 months ago #1194

• Hachii
  • s00z is G.O.A.T
Just FO, Le Victim, Collision, The Truth or whatever screenname you wish to hide behind. Your bitching is making us sick. Tell someone who cares, oh that's right, the cops couldn't give a toss - like us! Good riddance and good luck finding your poxy $500-$600 to fix your precious effing car. Bottomfeeder.
That ending only made the bad years' seem as if they never even happened...

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 3 months ago #1195

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2872
Well said Hachii or as I said on another topic ..on ya bike the truth/collision/le victim especially seeing as tho your infamous car is still off the road!! :P

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 3 months ago #1200

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
i'm not sure if you understand the concept of this forum Truth but how it works is you post about the topic in the heading.
Since you struggle with that its no surprise that you havnt got a resolution to your issue.

Sydney Swans slam Swan Districts' Phil Smart 11 years 3 months ago #1215

• Hachii
  • s00z is G.O.A.T
C'mon, LV make a post- since you have signed up. POS. Just get yourself blacklisted as per usual- AGAIN. Is a few hundred dollars worth all this grief??!! You must be desparate, and love being despised. What is your real name? Would love to see your car myself ;-) I hate you. Love Hachii, xoxo :-P
That ending only made the bad years' seem as if they never even happened...

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 649 guests and 2 members online

• Swedgen
  • KCachard

Newest Footy Recruits

• BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma