Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swans Mid season report 10 years 9 months ago #18471

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
Well Swans have finally reached the half way point of their season. Thanks to a load of byes, it seems to have taken an age to get there. How do Swans supporters score our overall season so far?
We have won 5 games and lost 5, so my feeling is that it has been pretty mediocre so far, but having said that, things are looking a whole lot better than they were a few weeks ago and there is a potential for significant upside in the 2nd half of the season.
Firstly some stats:
  • Harding has used 36 players in the 10 games
  • 9 of these players have appeared in every game, another 3 ( Twomey, Jetta and Lammie) have only missed one.
  • Hildebrant and Twomey have been the top possession winners averaging around 25 per game. Elari has averaged nearly 20, so you would have to say he has been a good pickup.
  • Geappan and Garlett have dominated the goalkicking ( 28 and 21 respectively) although Ugle (13) and Notte ( 12) have also contributed . There is also a good spread of goals in the midfield
  • Swans have won only 1 of their 5 home games and yet have emerged victorious in 4 out of their 5 away games??!!! ( would like an explanation for this one)
  • Swans have only led at quarter time in 2 of their 10 games this season! ( and one of those was last Saturday) – very slow starters.
Now for my views on the season:
Best win: All of the away victories have been gutsy efforts but my favourite was the victory over West Perth on Anzac day, which was achieved after only a 4 day break.
Worst Loss: Without doubt the loss to Subiaco, that’s the worst I’ve seen Swans play for about 6 years.
Most exciting game: A toss up between the two games against Perth
Best Player: Hildebrant
Most courageous player: Robinson
Best team player: Amesey who else?
Most Improved: Boekhurst
Best individual performance: Garlett V Perth and Geappan V Subiaco last Saturday

The road ahead
There are 3 positions available in the top 4 and 6 teams are vying for these spots. Swans play:
West Perth twice ( both at home)
Claremont twice ( both away)
Peel twice (home and away)
South Fremantle ( away)
East Perth (away)
Perth (home)
East Fremantle ( home)

6 victories out of this lot will get Swans a finals berth I reckon, any more than that and we could be in the running for 2nd spot.

Two players who have had virtually no input in the 1st half of the season are Blight and Casserley and hopefully they can come back to play their part. Also Neale, Bennell and Newman may have significant game time with Swans as all may struggle for an opportunity with their respective AFL clubs unless there are injuries.

Garlett can be the X factor that will get us into the finals and help his own cause of getting drafted

Faulkner is a good young player who has a lot of improvement in him. Lobb looked a good replacement for Lammie last saturday.

The only issue up forward is some goal kicking alternatives to Swoop.

In order to be a major player in finals, Swans must address the inconsistency that has dogged them in the first half of the season. Too many lapses in intensity during games which has cost us. We have only won consecutive games on one occasion and that was the last two weeks. Lets hope we can make it 3 in a row against South Fremantle this week and get our win/loss ratio into positive territory. Then start winning some games at home.

Interested in any other views/perspectives from Swans fans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Swans Mid season report 10 years 9 months ago #18476

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2872
Agree with virtually all of the above Mike although I dont think Hilda has been at his absolute best for about the last 4 weeks or so still serviceable tho ...Hams, Simpson & Ames (tho missed a few with injury) for our best player this season so far for me!

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Swans Mid season report 10 years 9 months ago #18477

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 373
Agree mikeh, Faulkner has been highly impressive in the past 2 games. Liked the aggressive side he displayed in the Subi game even if it did cost 50m and a goal. Fix up his disposal a bit which should come with a few more games and I reckon we've found one there.

Swans Mid season report 10 years 9 months ago #18519

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Dirty Weekender wrote: Agree mikeh, Faulkner has been highly impressive in the past 2 games. Liked the aggressive side he displayed in the Subi game even if it did cost 50m and a goal. Fix up his disposal a bit which should come with a few more games and I reckon we've found one there.

Certainly Faulkner's games against Subiaco on Saturday was so much better than his performance against the same team a few weeks ago. Like many I think he will benefit from an extended time in the league to build his confidence.

I believe that Neale is held in high regard at Freo so I am not so sure that we will keep him for an extended period. A quality player who puts in whenever he plays for Swans.

The backline speaks for itself even with the limited input from Blight and Cass.

Robinson seems to be hitting good form and I suspect that Garlett will have a very good second half to the season. As I suggested before the game last Saturday in Lobb, Cary and Blakely we have some quality talls coming through.

We have the talent at Swans to challenge for the premiership this year. How far we go will come down to attitude. We have shown that in away matches against East Freo, West Perth, Perth and Subiaco. If we replicate that attitude on a regular basis we will win far more games than we lose in the second half of the season.

A good indicator of how far we have progressed will be the match at Freo against South Freo. We need a good win to continue the momentum.

Notte is one of our most important players. His versatility may be one of our trump cards if we make the finals.

Personally, I have a good feeling about the rest of the 2013 season.

Swans Mid season report 10 years 9 months ago #18541

• waflrules
  • Thank you received: 1
Good report guys, agree with virtually everything said.

The challenge is to maintain consistency and produce the effort that has been evident away from home at Steel Blue.

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 369 guests and 2 members online

• Shark Tragic
  • one time only

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr