Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15184

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2017
This was the most disappointing of the 4 home games this year in my opinion. Before I start on Swans shortcomings, I want to give credit where it is due to East Perth who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck when they had the initiative, were far more desperate than Swans and had a lot more method when they went into attack. Dawson also pulled off some great coaching moves by completely shutting down our 2 key forwards and some good midfield match ups. I felt sad that the little master who was one of Swans best coaches of all time was now plotting our downfall.

In all their home games this year, Swans have been incapable of playing more than 15 or 20 minutes of good footy before they go into a sort of malaise which spreads through the whole team, thus handing the opposition a ticket back into the match. So it was again today. The first quarter Swans were once more slow out of the blocks and wasted whatever opportunities they got. Only young Charlie Cameron kicked a goal and he looked lively in the first term.

In the early part of the 2nd quarter the alarm bells were ringing as East Perth kicked the first few goals to clear out to a 22 point lead. Finally Swans kicked into gear and played 20 minutes of really good football to snatch the lead just before half time. Their football during this period was clean with quick movement into their forward 50, thus creating one on one contests which put the East Perth defence under the pump. Not rocket science eh guys?

I was pretty confident at half time that we would bury them as we had all the momentum in the game and I thought the Royals were showing signs of slowing down with all their big blokes.

The first ten minutes of the 3rd quarter appeared to be following the script as Swans had the ball on a string and East Perth were really struggling. The midfield were continually pumping the ball into the forward 50, the result of all their efforts was a miserable 1 goal 7. One incident that summed up this whole period of play was when Embley grabbed the ball in the forward pocket,handballed to Ugle who was running into an open goal 15 metres out, under minimal pressure. He missed by a long way. Fair dinkum, my granny could have kicked that.

Then East Perth grabbed the midfield momentum back and with Tallen Ames off injured, Smith was running amok and proved to be far more efficient than the Swans forwards. All of a sudden we were trailing by over 20 points again and it was catch up footy again. Finally a straight kick from Garlett got Swans to within 13 points but overall 2 goals 8 was a very poor return for effort.

The last quarter started with Swans getting the ball out of the centre consistently and looking for all intents and purposes again like they were going to overrun the Royals.

3 goals put us in the lead and finally I thought that we had the game. Once again when the killer blow was needed, we failed to deliver.

There were 2 moments in the final 20 minutes which I thought were game definers and stuck in my mind (and my craw). One was when a hurried kick out of defence by East Perth was marked on the 50 by Riggio. Instead of going back and pumping it to the top of the square, he tried some cute dribble kick through a few players which was blocked by an opposition player, the ball was rebounded up the ground and a goal ensued.

The second incident was a bit later but the game was still in doubt. Swans got a good run going out of defence and the ball was delivered into an open forward line with Ugle running on to it. The Swans player had a break on his opponent and if he had been quick enough he would have been able to take a shot or at least dispose of the ball to another teammate. Not only was he run down and tackled by his East Perth opponent, but he coughed up the ball to the oppositions advantage to the extent that they scored a goal 30 seconds later. Game Over.

Might seem like an exaggeration to say that Swans season is on the line and their current standing of 3 wins and 4 losses is only 2 games behind 2nd spot. I just feel a negative vibe coming from the team that wasn’t there last year, they are not playing with anywhere near the same intensity as they were in 2012. They have lost 3 out of 4 home games which is never a good thing. There are guys who are just not contributing consistently to the team and who go missing when the team is in trouble. They are overusing the ball and making so many mistakes as a result. Wes looked totally out of his depth against Johnson today and they really need to blood another big bloke to give him some support.

If the team was short of skills and talent and were having a crack I wouldn’t be so critical, but all Swans supporters know that they are better than what they demonstrated today as they have shown in their away wins at East Fremantle and Joondalup which were really gutsy performances.

There were a lot of guys who got over 20 possessions today but wasted many of them and were therefore ineffective. Aaron Elari is a classic example of a player who gets the ball and is very courageous but needs to make better decisions. He was certainly not the only one.

Harding has got some difficult decisions to make for next weeks game because I think he needs to make a statement to some players that below par performances will not be tolerated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15185

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874
Couldnt have said it any better myself Mike ..when Harding moved Charlie from the forward line to the backline to close down Cadwallader the ball was always going to be cleared out with no pressure as Charlie is the only forward or midfielder who puts any defensive pressure on! :angry:

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15187

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Beasley Hutton wrote: Couldnt have said it any better myself Mike ..when Harding moved Charlie from the forward line to the backline to close down Cadwallader the ball was always going to be cleared out with no pressure as Charlie is the only forward or midfielder who puts any defensive pressure on! :angry:

Yes it was so easy for East Perth to clear the ball out of their defensive 50 after a point . Our forwards just weren't positioning themselves and chasing their opponents

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15207

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874
We seem to be completely obsessed with getting more disposals a game than the opposition with this fascination with dinky wishy washy 1 metre handballs to team mates who are already under pressure :angry: ..memo to Harding & the coaching staff we dont give a farrk about winning the WAFL disposals count at the end of the year its all about getting the 4 points every bloody game!

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15248

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
This was very good days football, Swannies colts played very well with coniglio showing why he is highly rated, it was funny watching a Blakely and a Ridley (Pauls boy) playing for swans, Ressies was a good standard and the EP boys did well to score the will.

The League was a of a hgh level and Swans played well within their game plan which at times seemed a little obvious to counter. Garlett was ....... ! I personally pleased to see a colt from the previous two years make his debut and pick up 17 touches, well Fraz!

Have to mention bar on the hill, one EP supporter said it looked like an open book but quickly retracted that saying oops most of the supporters can't read, oh well everyone has an opinion.
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15276

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Grump wrote: This was very good days football, Swannies colts played very well with coniglio showing why he is highly rated, it was funny watching a Blakely and a Ridley (Pauls boy) playing for swans, Ressies was a good standard and the EP boys did well to score the will.

The League was a of a hgh level and Swans played well within their game plan which at times seemed a little obvious to counter. Garlett was ....... ! I personally pleased to see a colt from the previous two years make his debut and pick up 17 touches, well Fraz!

Have to mention bar on the hill, one EP supporter said it looked like an open book but quickly retracted that saying oops most of the supporters can't read, oh well everyone has an opinion.

Was he number 37 Grump? He was very impressive and very pacy

Last edit: by mikeh.

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15278

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

mikeh wrote:

Grump wrote: This was very good days football, Swannies colts played very well with coniglio showing why he is highly rated, it was funny watching a Blakely and a Ridley (Pauls boy) playing for swans, Ressies was a good standard and the EP boys did well to score the will.

that was he, good kid from the sw, have been with him since 14/15's, very good bloke as well!
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15296

• chaddy22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

Grump wrote:

mikeh wrote:

Have to mention bar on the hill, one EP supporter said it looked like an open book but quickly retracted that saying oops most of the supporters can't read, oh well everyone has an opinion.[/qu

that was he, good kid from the sw, have been with him since 14/15's, very good bloke as well!

Hey grump looks like they have deleted the censorship thread i think all my comments will be soon deleted

Swans season on the line 10 years 11 months ago #15375

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Without dispute another disappointing game by Swans. We have a set of games coming up which will go a long way to deteriming where we finish on the ladder this year. Certainly the lack of a game for three weeks was probably not ideal. I suspect that there may be a few changes for next Saturday's game.

What we need to do is inprove significantly our work rate, stick to the basics for most of the players (and whilst I am generally a supporter of Lammie - trying an over the shoulder hand pass whilst running in the opposite direction should not be something that he tries ever again and he certainly wasn't alone in doing idiotic things) need to keep it simple.

I believe we have the talent the problem at the moment is between the ears.

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 1826 guests and one member online

• Royals78

Newest Footy Recruits

• AbrahamErype
  • whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag