Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165824

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1349

Beasley Hutton wrote:

gtrxuone wrote:

DD wrote: Are you trying to remember the name Ark or is this a little footy quiz? Give us a hint, what pozzie did he play?

A quiz for you DD.When Barry Cable went back to the VFL the second time.North Melbourne swapped 3 players for Cabes.Doug Farrant was one of the 3 players.Who where the other 2 players.

There were 4 players swapped by North Melbourne for Cable GTR.

OK boys here goes, Mike Redenback, David Pretty and Mike (I think) Doherty.
Get on your bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165825

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
Phil Doherty DD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DD, gtrxuone

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165826

• smokey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 213

Cesspit wrote: Phil Doherty DD.

Was there not a 5th player who had injury problems and never played a game...Mark Dawson.
Or am I thinking of another era??
Farrant played 116 games, Pretty 25, Doherty 29, Redenbach (injuries) 18
David Pretty tied with Gary Gibellini for Simpson Medal 1974 Grand Final.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Last edit: by smokey.

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165830

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH; beatifully done -- what i found intereresting about him is that he kicked two goals in the one game he played and was never seen again.

gtr and others: In relation to the perth swaps, i remember reading that Ken Armstrong had a determination to try and prevent the weakening of the side when he lost players to Victoria, which meant that, he was never interested in money. He was was not always successful, of course, so that by the late 1970, Perth had a lot of money, but had been drainned of talent from the side. when he was at Subi, they sold buckenara, because the club was poor, and later on, swapped Schultz for mike sheldon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, gtrxuone

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165835

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327

ArkRoyal wrote: BH; beatifully done -- what i found intereresting about him is that he kicked two goals in the one game he played and was never seen again.

gtr and others: In relation to the perth swaps, i remember reading that Ken Armstrong had a determination to try and prevent the weakening of the side when he lost players to Victoria, which meant that, he was never interested in money. He was was not always successful, of course, so that by the late 1970, Perth had a lot of money, but had been drainned of talent from the side. when he was at Subi, they sold buckenara, because the club was poor, and later on, swapped Schultz for mike sheldon

Ark was the Buckenara trade fought by Subi in the courts. Did he just pack up and leave mid season 1982.Didnt turn up for training and Subi seen him at a press conference with a Hawks jumper on.In Victoria, was some controversy with that trade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165837

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
he left, leaving merifield to negotiate with hawthorn; hawthorn took him to court to stop him playing for WC; Buckenara was also, together with Ken Marshall, nearly rented out to Claremont for the second half of the 1979 season. The Subi board eventually decided against the move, which, natuarally would have gone down like a cup of cold sick with the other clubs.

tim gepp honourred his contract with Subi in 1982

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165838

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

ArkRoyal wrote: BH; beatifully done -- what i found intereresting about him is that he kicked two goals in the one game he played and was never seen again.

AR there was also a Graham Smith that played 1 game only for Subiaco in 1980 remarkably enough the very same game Tony Smith only played for your beloved Lions- Rd4 1980 vs SF at Fremantle Oval resulting in an 81 point loss....do you know if he was related to Tony Smith?

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165839

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BH: it is funny how both the Smiths played in just that one game together, I agree. i think Graham might have been a local player mate, as i could not find any reference to him. Poor old Tony Smith was probably a bit harshly treated, bh, because the following week -- against SD actually -- he kicked five goals in the reserves and was in the best players -- as you know, he was given no cigar by Armstrong. perhaps the two just did not get on, or more likely, he preferred to play the youngsters whatever happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165840

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
From memory AR once Ken Armstrong had taken over from Peter Burton who was sacked early in the 1980 season he got rid of a lot of the older players that Burton had recruited from other clubs like- Duda, Ray, Levitzke, Hall, Durnthaler, etc plus a few old stalwarts Williams, Jackman, Bruce etc and started promoting the local youth.
Maybe Tony Smith was another victim of Armstrong sharpening his maroon knife?

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

carlton player 1980 4 years 11 months ago #165852

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yep, he is one more Victorian whom came over and did not quite make it, similar, as you know to paul mcdonald, in the 1980 side. Interestingly, he perserved with Mcdonald for the whole season, possibly, because, unlike, Tony Smith, McDonald was a key position player rather than a wingman.

Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 223 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020