Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160017

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
What you can say is that, when we had a good side, we managged to win the flag in a strong league.

from the backline

Cunningham Williams Burton

Blair Br., Sieri Dougue

Young Featherby Dimmer

Randall P Metro., Malone

Bunton Robertson Cataggio

Fitzpatrick Schultz Watt

Neil Taylor Ken Bell Phil Lamb Gary Fathers

Coach Ross Smith
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160026

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
Nice work AR.
Would the likes of Bayens, Davenport, R.Smith, Ellis, Crouch, Devenish-Meares, Heal, Hamilton, Rhodes, Screech, Shepheard be potential emergencies in your side?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160028

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BH: thanks -- yep they would and in pretty much the order you suggested too; I also think we could add Bucknall. Overall, I think it shows that the club had a strongish side at full strength, but lacked depth in the key positions and the ruck once key players retirred or left.

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160031

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
AR I assume you meant to have Mick Malone at CHF, and Metro (who was much shorter) on the flank.

I would have Bayens in for Mick (even though I went to school with him) every day of the week.

Also went to school with Freddy Davenport, and he seems a better choice (balance wise) in the back pocket than Foxy Cunningham (school again) or (I presume) Peter Burton, both of whom were rather tall.

So Vinny Cataggio (no :) ) out, and Burton resting in the forward pocket.

Last edit: by jackspratt.

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160033

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
jack spratt: I picked Burton at the back as in those days, as you know, other sides would rest ruckmen in the back pocket. Always good to read your thoughts on the Subi sides.

Who is the best player in that side?

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160035

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Best:
- Fitzpatrick
- Robertson
- Featherby

From memory, Cunningham was pretty tall, and played full back. He was a forward in juniors.

I remember in those days, they also rested the 2nd rover in the FP, so that's why I would have Freddy there.

Last edit: by jackspratt.

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160068

• BC
  • Thank you received: 1543
Foxy played CHB in 1973 and was injured in the prelim missing the GF. Monaro played at CHB in his place and won a Simpson.

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160071

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1351
Oh i wish for those glory days of the mid/late 70's when we used to flog Subi. It was like a training run, a bit of circle work.
Get on your bike.

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 4 months ago #160073

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ah! yes ............. and since then it has been season after season of circle jerk. :P

Subi in the 1970s 5 years 2 months ago #162631

• SFCdiehard
  • Thank you received: 4
AR, I would make the following changes which provide better balance and better players -

Cunningham to CHB, Freddie Davenport to backpcoket, Sierra from CHB to other backpocket. PB to the bench.

Drop Douge from the team, replace him with Crouch (most underrated and ignored footballer to put on boots for SFC).

Centreline would leave as is - David Rhodes was a classy player who could slot nicely on the wing and JD to the bench owing to his versatility he play centre, forward and down back. Rhodes had the misfortune of being at SFC during some of its inglorious years so it was hard to get a line on how good he really was.

Half Forwards - Big Ronny Bayens as the CHF - Metro largely made his name as flanker so a toss up between him, Randy and Mick Malone, The unlucky one drops to bench.

Full forward line - I am leaning to omitting Viinnie on the basis he only played one year wi2th SFC but he was a quality player.

Followers - Bullet, always felt he was a let down, he had more natural talent in his little toe than most players had in their whole body. But he disappeared too often for too long but still retain him. Fitzy and Keith Watt only a fool would argue against them.

I could replace Vin or Bullet with Ron Jack.

Bench - P Burton, Ron Jack, one of either Randy/Metro/Malone, Alan Shepheard, Mark Devenish Meares (BH, I think suggested a Devenish-Meares but I think he meant Roche. Roch was unusual to say the least. He would have been a nightmare to play against - very talented and could take a strong mark - but erratic and would never win a best and fairest (because of the fairness) I mean his brother Mark who was superstar in the making but think he joined the RAAF and became a doctor. Superbly talented and made playing football look simple. Only played for a couple of years.

I also struggled with including Randy and Bayens owing to their defections to South Fremantle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BC, ArkRoyal

Last edit: by SFCdiehard.
  • Page:
Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 296 guests and 4 members online

• Mr AFL
  • Success Hill
  • Whinnen
  • Mightymagpie88

Newest Footy Recruits