Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152170

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
I'm not a Footscray/Western Bulldogs supporter, but just happened to read an interview with former Bulldogs captain Geoff Jennings on a Dogs forum.
www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?3792
Jennings told this anecdote (see below) about Peter Munro, who I recall played with Subiaco in the early 1980s.
Given the doom and gloom that seems to've permeated this website recently, I hope this gives people a chuckle.
This is the funniest story I've heard for a long time.

Interviewer: Before I go, is there anything you look back on & laugh at?

Geoff Jennings: Yes, prior to the seniors I used to like to watch the reserves play. One day at the MCG I happened to be watching when the crowd erupted. We had a player, Peter Munro, now Munz was as blind as a bat & he’s taken off & jumped into his opponents back on his way to launching himself for a speckie. Only problem was the ball was at the other end of the ground & it was a seagull Munz has seen. Very funny indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, BC, ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Archie Duda Goal Machine.

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152177

• BC
  • Thank you received: 1547
hahaha...that's pretty funny Archie. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152178

• Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes, it's one of the best footy stories I've head for awhile, BC.
"Munz" certainly had a very good first season at Subi in 1980
waflfootyfacts.net/player/stats.php?PlayerID=4629
The following user(s) said Thank You: waflfootyfacts, ArkRoyal

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152180

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
AD: great post -- considerring his size -- he was only 5-8 -- he was one of he best contested marks I have seen. AD, he also has another claim to a fame does Munro. He replaced your name sake at full-forward for Subiaco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152182

• Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks, ArkRoyal, I think the famous old East Perth No.8 was on his last legs when he went to Subi and then on to Perth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152183

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

ArkRoyal wrote: AD: great post -- considerring his size -- he was only 5-8 -- he was one of he best contested marks I have seen. AD, he also has another claim to a fame does Munro. He replaced your name sake at full-forward for Subiaco.

Archie wasnt at Subi all that long from memory AR? Munro was in turn replaced at FF by Clint Brown (and Brendan MacFaull for a very short while) until Bunton came along and turned former wingmen/half forward Todd Breman into a spearhead up front.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, Archie Duda Goal Machine

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152201

• Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Spot on, BH, Archie played just a handful of games at both Subi and Perth in 1980.
Based on Ric Gauci's excellent FootyStats website, Archie played the first 5 rounds (13 goals) with the Lions, then by Round 8 he was wearing Demons colours (6 games, 14 goals).
These were in the days when players could change clubs before the June 30 deadline.
I wonder what the current WAFL rule is in that regardd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, waflfootyfacts, ArkRoyal

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152203

• BC
  • Thank you received: 1547

Beasley Hutton wrote:

ArkRoyal wrote: AD: great post -- considerring his size -- he was only 5-8 -- he was one of he best contested marks I have seen. AD, he also has another claim to a fame does Munro. He replaced your name sake at full-forward for Subiaco.

Archie wasnt at Subi all that long from memory AR? Munro was in turn replaced at FF by Clint Brown (and Brendan MacFaull for a very short while) until Bunton came along and turned former wingmen/half forward Todd Breman into a spearhead up front.

jeez BH...did you research that or did it all come from memory? if so, your knowledge of that historical stuff is encyclopaedic as I've followed Subi for over 50 years and I couldn't throw those gems up. B)

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152243

• oobisoobi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Yep, one of my favourites from that time. Took some great marks in the goal square but an average kick if I recall. Not sure if its just part of the Peter Munro mythology but I was told he was working on the construction of the two tier stand when he jumped the fence and joined in training one day that started his career at Subi. Great to see a "where are they now ?' from him. Anyone remember why he left in 1981?

Check this out:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by oobisoobi.

Peter Munro 5 years 8 months ago #152251

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH,AD -- I think he was treated a little bit harshly by Ken Armstrong as he did kick five goals in one game against Perth. He dropped him to the reserves for the game against South where he kicked 17 gaols. His last game for Subi was against SD, one in which we were thrashed by 25 goals.

Brown begin, the same year, as you both know, and was a good footballer. I think he would have gone east had he stayed at full forward as he would have caught the high of recruiters. Bunton definitely favourred speed and skill in key positions; in addition to those attributes, he had strength, and, therefore, could help out Wilkinson and Crutchfield in the back-line.

oobi: I have read your story about him just walking into the club. At the time, he was suppose to have come from Darwin according to the paper. He seems to have been a bit of a nomad so they probably had trouble retaining after 1981

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.
  • Page:
Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 568 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020