Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135911

• BC
  • BC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1543
Well the dust has settled and whilst the anger with the WAFC has subsided the disappointment hasn't....but it's time to move on and start looking at 2018. Very early days I know but it'll be interesting to get some hints around who might be moving on which will dictate our player needs for next season. We'll definitely need to look for an accomplished ruckman to support young Creeper. I thought he was very good in the few games he played but he's only 20, still developing and to put the weight of rucking solely on him isn't ideal. We also need a big hit up forward similar to the Brad Smith, Hamish Shepherd type as that was sorely missed in the GF where we relied on Sokol against the big bodies of Collins and Luke Ryan. Of those going you'd think Liam Ryan would still be a chance to be drafted notwithstanding his poor game on Sunday and Liam Baker could go as well. The likes of Twomey, Clanger, Cockie and even Horse might hang up the boots....not sure of anyone else. Our list has turned over a lot in the last few years but Schoey and co keep delivering so I'd expect the same for next year. It'll be an interesting off season and thoughts of other diehards much appreciated. I expect we'll get our resident Subi haters on here plying their usual diatribe but that's something for DG to sort out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BC.

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135912

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 373

BC wrote: Well the dust has settled and whilst the anger with the WAFC has subsided the disappointment hasn't....but it's time to move on and start looking at 2018. Very early days I know but it'll be interesting to get some hints around who might be moving on which will dictate our player needs for next season. We'll definitely need to look for an accomplished ruckman to support young Creeper. I thought he was very good in the few games he played but he's only 20, still developing and to put the weight of rucking solely on him isn't ideal. We also need a big hit up forward similar to the Brad Smith, Hamish Shepherd type as that was sorely missed in the GF where we relied on Sokol against the big bodies of Collins and Luke Ryan. Of those going you'd think Liam Ryan would still be a chance to be drafted notwithstanding his poor game on Sunday and Liam Baker could go as well. The likes of Twomey, Clanger, Cockie and even Horse might hang up the boots....not sure of anyone else. Our list has turned over a lot in the last few years but Schoey and co keep delivering so I'd expect the same for next year. It'll be an interesting off season and thoughts of other diehards much appreciated. I expect we'll get the usual Subi haters on here plying their usual diatribe but that's something for DG to sort out.

Any chance Schoey will head AFL as per the rumours BC or is he a lock for season 2018?

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135913

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

BC wrote: Well the dust has settled and whilst the anger with the WAFC has subsided the disappointment hasn't....but it's time to move on and start looking at 2018. Very early days I know but it'll be interesting to get some hints around who might be moving on which will dictate our player needs for next season. We'll definitely need to look for an accomplished ruckman to support young Creeper. I thought he was very good in the few games he played but he's only 20, still developing and to put the weight of rucking solely on him isn't ideal. We also need a big hit up forward similar to the Brad Smith, Hamish Shepherd type as that was sorely missed in the GF where we relied on Sokol against the big bodies of Collins and Luke Ryan. Of those going you'd think Liam Ryan would still be a chance to be drafted notwithstanding his poor game on Sunday and Liam Baker could go as well. The likes of Twomey, Clanger, Cockie and even Horse might hang up the boots....not sure of anyone else. Our list has turned over a lot in the last few years but Schoey and co keep delivering so I'd expect the same for next year. It'll be an interesting off season and thoughts of other diehards much appreciated. I expect we'll get our resident Subi haters on here plying their usual diatribe but that's something for DG to sort out.

Another Grand Final appearance in 2018.

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135914

• BC
He's contracted DW but I'm sure there's an out clause if he wanted to go to the AFL...based on his comments after the game it sounds like he's staying but a week's a long time in footy as we know. He could get an offer too good to refuse from WCE or Freo which would keep him in Perth which I know is his preferred option given he has a young family. Peter German started the process back in 2003 so if he does go....the new coach will have to keep the same level of performance or he won't last long....I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edit: by BC.

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135915

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 373

BC wrote: He's contracted DW but I'm sure there's an out clause if he wanted to go to the AFL...based on his comments after the game it sounds like he's staying but a week's a long time in footy as we know. He could get an offer to good to refuse from WCE or Freo which would keep him in Perth which I know is his preferred option given he has a young family. Peter German started the process back in 2003 so if he does go....the new coach will have to keep the same level of performance or he won't last long....I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for your reply BC. A lot of talk floating about and even after I strongly interrogated one of your board members still got nothing from him. Obviously integral part of how 2018 will unfold for your lot. If the rumour mill is true can only imagine potential or existing WAFL coaches from around WA will be climbing over each other for the gig. That may affect SD nominations and may be the reason nobody has been secured yet hence my question. Will be interesting decision for Subi if Schoey does accept a call from above which direction they go in. From what you are saying here your list will need a rejuvenation if all those blokes retire although you do have some quality floating around in the seconds. Still top end talent is hard to replace. My club is going to realise that big time in 2018. I reckon yours is better equipped to handle losing a few. Cockie will be hard to replace though if he hangs em up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BC

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135916

• BC
Good comments DW...I agree with everything you've said. After winning the ressies flag I'm hoping the club brings a few more young blokes through. The likes of Bogensperger, Ainsworth if he doesn't get drafted for any reason plus proven performers like Bryan and Greg Clark should all be given the opportunity to step up. As mentioned in my original, we can cover most losses from what we've got with the exception of a proven ruckman and a key forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty Weekender

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135926

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 836
BC, of the senior midfield brigade, Phez has definitely said he will suit up next year obviously driven by missing half the season, his GF performance was just exceptional given he's had 1 ressies match as a build-up. Twomey is gone, wonderful career with us and Swans since coming over from the East, wish him well in retirement and can look forward to a number of GF reunions in the years to come. Question marks over Clang, Horse and Cockie who will be very hard to replace. Frankston who are now back in the VFL with Buckanara driving their boat, are rumored to have already contacted former players Kitch & Dela to go back to Franky. So worst case scenario is that we could lose our 2 key rucks and our 4 top mids. Thats a massive talent hole to fill, some can be done from our 2's and colts but Ainsworth and the other 2 young mids that could do the job are heading to the national combine and are almost certain draftees. Vermeesh is a forward that can step up, gets regular bags in the ressies but not overly big, more your Sokal size. Hope they look at the Ressies and colts first before recruiting outside, that will all depend on who pulls the pin, if all those elite guys go we will have no choice but to recruit a few experienced mids and a key forward and ruckman if we want to stay competitive with the alignments and Souths.

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135929

• BC
SS...I think Kitch will stay as he's started a business here which from all reports is doing well but not sure about Dela. He's working as a real estate Valuer or similar but that's probably a skill which is transferrable if he decided to leave. Horse said he's taking time off over summer to decide whether to suit up again and if I was a betting man which I'm not, I reckon he'll go around again driven by the two GF losses and the fact his form this year has been fantastic. I reckon Clanger and the Cock are tosses of the coin and hopefully someone like Buddy Boy will have some up to date mail on them and anyone else coming or going.

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135936

• Leedy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 148

BC wrote: SS...I think Kitch will stay as he's started a business here which from all reports is doing well but not sure about Dela. He's working as a real estate Valuer or similar but that's probably a skill which is transferrable if he decided to leave. Horse said he's taking time off over summer to decide whether to suit up again and if I was a betting man which I'm not, I reckon he'll go around again driven by the two GF losses and the fact his form this year has been fantastic. I reckon Clanger and the Cock are tosses of the coin and hopefully someone like Buddy Boy will have some up to date mail on them and anyone else coming or going.

None of the mentioned (with the exception of Twomey who has become a liability) will retire. $ubi will just up the anti, much like Wheeler and Phelan's retirement a couple of seasons ago, miraculous injection of enthusiasm. I am not be a smart arse Gents, thats exactly how it will take place so don't bag me until confirmed.

What will 2018 bring? 6 years 6 months ago #135953

• BC
As SS said...apparently Franskton are throwing money around like confetti so it wouldn't surprise to see Dela move back...it also looks like Hockey from Souths is a chance to head off as well.

Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 632 guests and 2 members online

• Time For a Flag
  • Swedgen

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma