Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128938

• Singha
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Yes, remember that well DG. A spinal injury I believe, very sad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128940

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

DG wrote: Can't really remember Williams, a bit too young. I'll have Rumble as by best, closely followed by Crutchfield who held his own against some of the best ff's of all time. In saying that I think Fussell would have probably been better than both if not for the injury. He was another who started of as a ff, a mediocre one at that! Hell of a fb though. On that note this one will test you fella's, who remembers Shane McGowan? He would probably have gone on to top them all. He came into our league side rnd 5 1993 as a 17yo after dominating in the colts for the early part of the year and being named in the WA teal cup side (I think that's what it was called then). He was impressive in his debut vs perth and the following week vs ef he was even more impressive (similar to what young naughton has done in the past couple of weeks with peel). He played on a pretty good player that day I think it was Jeff Davidson or Lockyer. Not much got past him. Off to the teal cup after that and we never saw him again. A big strapping country lad he was, he wore a head band. Unfortunately he had a serious traffic accident in the country in the off season that year which finished his football career

Quite correct DG.
He has had a lot of success in owning some pretty decent horses over the last 20 years or so tho.

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128957

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332
Good work Singha and Beas. Fark me Beas you are THE walking encyclopedia of the WAFL! Nothing to do with fb's but do you remember Bucky's brother Rod from the am's? He never quite made it due to another case of wretched luck
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128959

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 836
Bucky always said Rod was a much better player but had some sort of horrendous leg injury, non footy related that ended his playing career.

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128971

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332

Senior Seagull wrote: Bucky always said Rod was a much better player but had some sort of horrendous leg injury, non footy related that ended his playing career.

Yes Senior he was reportedly better than Bucky. They both came to us pre season 1979, from the am's. During a pre season weights session that year one of the pressing machine's malfunctioned and took the skin off both of Rod's hands. He tried to train with gloves on when healed, to no avail. Every time the ball hit his hands his hands would split and that was that without playing a single game for us. He couldn't play footy anymore. He must have hurt his leg sometime after that. We always seemed to have shit luck back in those days. How good would it have been to have the Bucky brothers, we would have made the 4 in 81 with two of them
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128981

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
The map cannot be displayed, you haven't specified a location yet.
Brian Sarre.
I was fortunate enough to see him play in 1963 at Suby on Geelong legend Doug Wade, who in 1962 had kicked 10 goals at FF when the Vics played WA.

Wade went on to kick over 1000 goals in the VFL, and was a genuine superstar, being named in Geelong's Team of the Century at FF.

This is what Australianfootball.com says of Sarre:

Throughout what was a consistently dismal era for Subi, Sarre was a shining light. In 1963, after West Australia had succumbed to a shock home loss against Tasmania, he was called up to the state team for the first time for the clash with the VFL at Subiaco Oval. Although the visitors came from behind late in the game to sneak a one-point win, Sarreā€™s own performance was brilliant as he completely blanketed his star opponent Doug Wade to become the first-ever Subiaco player to earn the Simpson Medal. Over the next four seasons, Sarre became a virtual ever-present in West Australian interstate teams. At the 1966 Hobart carnival he was the best full back on view, earning All Australian selection.

Before the days of the 3 tier stand at Suby, when the sea breeze came in, Sarre would easily reach the centre with his kick-ins - which I mainly remember as being droppies.

Second for me is Col Williams. He and Freddy Davenport (in the back pocket) played a huge part in the mighty '73 GF win.

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128982

• BC
  • BC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1543
welcome to OzFooty jack. if it's the jackspratt I think it is how's things in your part of the world?

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128991

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks BC. Things here have never been better - Buddha's own country.

Happy to see the silly Joomla block on overseas countries viewing and participating on WA's best footy forum has been removed.

Have also disciplined myself to stick to footy, and stay away from the crazy political threads.;)

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128992

• BC
  • BC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1543
cheers jack....mind you the political landscape has calmed down a bit from the heady days of Rudd, Gillard and Abbott. BTW...how's are mutual mate going

Last edit: by BC.

Subi full backs 6 years 8 months ago #128994

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
He's fine - was very interested to hear that you had moved on, employment wise.

Just waiting now for my very good mate, 58, to logon, and give me a warm welcome. :lol:

What happened to my other sparring partner - the Vic who worked on the mines? He seems to have left the room.

Edit: Ah! - found him ..... swan42, and still around.

Edit 2: Nope - not 42, who is one of the (many) gentlemen of the forum. Still looking for an answer

Last edit: by jackspratt.
Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 565 guests and 5 members online

• BC
  • mikeh
  • Whitey
  • Blackduck
  • Johnny Leonard

Newest Footy Recruits