Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128876

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 836

Grassy wrote: Don't reckon he was anything special at Perth,Senior.

His claim to fame was sharing Prosh's Dickhead of the Year with Gary Shannin and Mick Malthouse.

On a Note of disagreement with you guys,Adam Cockie was lucky to be playing after hit on one of our guys.It's done and dusted now,but he should have got 2 - 3 weeks for his Punch to the Back of a Demon head.

Live him as a player.He is a Tank,but he's got to watch himself with some of his actions.Get in his ear and get him to modify his aggression,so the Umps don't go looking for him in September.;)

Grassy, your blokes head must have been yellow in colour with stitching and logos!! Mate agree he's hard at it and pushes the envelope at times but all clubs have these guys, don't worry he gets as good as he gives, have a look at McKenna in your own camp, when in form he's a very good player but also one of the best snippers in the comp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128899

• Buddy Boy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I heard at the game yesterday that both Phelan and Halligan will play next week all things going well at training this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DG

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128913

• oobisoobi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Does anyone know what happened to Baker and also the nature of Guiness's illness?

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128933

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332

oobisoobi wrote: Does anyone know what happened to Baker and also the nature of Guiness's illness?

Baker has a hand injury, thumb I think. Out for around 4 weeks
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128935

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
In nearly 50 years of following WAFL footy I have never seen a team dominate as much as Subiaco have this year. If you look at the draw, they could easily go into the finals with a 19 win 1 loss record, have a home 2nd semi final and another 2 week rest before the GF. They have carried all before them this year apart from round 1. This despite carrying a lengthy injury list for most of the season. They embarrassed Peel on their home ground yesterday with 10 Dockers players in their team. I can't see the addition of 4 or 5 extra Dockers players making much difference as Peel have lost some of those experienced players like Mzungu and De Boer who made a great difference last year.
In fact I believe it will be South who will get to the grand final in the end, but they also havent got the capacity to match it with Subiaco for 4 quarters.
Without going into the reasons why Subiaco are so dominant which I think has been debated to death, the challenge for all other WAFL teams is to look for ways to raise their standards so that the competition is not reduced to a one horse race in future years (that's assuming we have a competition in future years)

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128960

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

mikeh wrote: In nearly 50 years of following WAFL footy I have never seen a team dominate as much as Subiaco have this year. If you look at the draw, they could easily go into the finals with a 19 win 1 loss record, have a home 2nd semi final and another 2 week rest before the GF. They have carried all before them this year apart from round 1. This despite carrying a lengthy injury list for most of the season. They embarrassed Peel on their home ground yesterday with 10 Dockers players in their team. I can't see the addition of 4 or 5 extra Dockers players making much difference as Peel have lost some of those experienced players like Mzungu and De Boer who made a great difference last year.

In fact I believe it will be South who will get to the grand final in the end, but they also havent got the capacity to match it with Subiaco for 4 quarters.
Without going into the reasons why Subiaco are so dominant which I think has been debated to death, the challenge for all other WAFL teams is to look for ways to raise their standards so that the competition is not reduced to a one horse race in future years (that's assuming we have a competition in future years)

Mikeh, I would have thought you would remember the 2008 team, which I think was the most dominant in recent times, Subi lost 1 game that year, a contentious win by your boys by 1 point, only loss for the year. Your boys jumped us in the GF but only resulted in waking the sleeping giant and in the space of 8 minutes turned a 4+ goal deficit into a halftime lead and it was all over. The next year Souths did us over in the GF. Souths toweled us up by 40 plus points in game one and we did the same but not by quite as much the next meeting so it's 1 each, they are just as skilled as us maybe moreso, but not as consistent. This years Subi team has been super consistent despite the injury list, that gets back to Schoey and his coaching panel. A comprehensive and consistent message runs through all levels of the playing group so whoever comes in knows their job inside out with a level of discipline that's second to none in the league.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DG, BC

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128970

• BC
  • BC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1543
in my view Subi's success is based on a dominant midfield and a really tight backline. we don't have a big ruckman giving us first use or a power forward but rely on weight of numbers going inside 50. we had 61 I50's to chunder's 35 on the weekend and you can only get those sort of stats if you're causing turnovers up the ground by pressuring the ball carrier and blocking exits, efficient in transition from the back half to forward 50. stop our mids and you win the game...simple as that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DG

Last edit: by BC.

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128972

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332
I thought we would go backwards this year after the losses we had such as Broughton and Shep and what didn't look like much coming in. Litherland, Adamson and Baker have been great and with the other boys coming through stepping up we find ourselves clear on top
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128974

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Given the injuries and something like 15 debutants, it's a reasonable effort.

Subi v FART 6 years 8 months ago #128995

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007

Senior Seagull wrote:

mikeh wrote: In nearly 50 years of following WAFL footy I have never seen a team dominate as much as Subiaco have this year. If you look at the draw, they could easily go into the finals with a 19 win 1 loss record, have a home 2nd semi final and another 2 week rest before the GF. They have carried all before them this year apart from round 1. This despite carrying a lengthy injury list for most of the season. They embarrassed Peel on their home ground yesterday with 10 Dockers players in their team. I can't see the addition of 4 or 5 extra Dockers players making much difference as Peel have lost some of those experienced players like Mzungu and De Boer who made a great difference last year.

Mikeh, I would have thought you would remember the 2008 team, which I think was the most dominant in recent times, Subi lost 1 game that year, a contentious win by your boys by 1 point, only loss for the year. Your boys jumped us in the GF but only resulted in waking the sleeping giant and in the space of 8 minutes turned a 4+ goal deficit into a halftime lead and it was all over. The next year Souths did us over in the GF. Souths toweled us up by 40 plus points in game one and we did the same but not by quite as much the next meeting so it's 1 each, they are just as skilled as us maybe moreso, but not as consistent. This years Subi team has been super consistent despite the injury list, that gets back to Schoey and his coaching panel. A comprehensive and consistent message runs through all levels of the playing group so whoever comes in knows their job inside out with a level of discipline that's second to none in the league.

Fair call SS, I had forgotten 2008 and that was certainly a more dominating season than 2017, even just looking at the margin of the only loss. I think it was Cockie who said a few weeks back that the culture of the club over a long period had kept the success going despite the turnover of players and coaches in that time. The players are very hard on each other and impose team standards which are very demanding and those who don't live up to expectations quickly drop off. In some ways it is like the "team first" approach at Hawthorn.
You can't "buy" a positive culture and I think all WAFL teams should look beyond the obvious stuff like the financial advantage that Subiaco have and see if there are any lessons to learn.

Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 339 guests and 6 members online

• Royals78
  • Success Hill
  • Southerner
  • Danger
  • SD351
  • Mossstreetshark83

Newest Footy Recruits