Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128558

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332

ArkRoyal wrote: Just wonderred how many players from to-day would get a game in 1986, especially if that side had injurious. Thinking back to 1986, and reading our player's list, one or two players got games whom I never really ratted.

The captain and Phelan would have most certainlly each got games in 1986. I also think that the following would have got the odd game:

della
Twomey
Wheeler
Jackson

The captain would have been the equal of Greg Carpenter. He is certainlly a better player than Bevan Warner or Wayne Dawson.
Twomey, della and Wheeler would have competted with players, such as Rod Willet and John G. In fact, if you played Twomey at half back, as indeed Schofiled insists, he would be competting with Kevan Sparks and Clint Roberts.

I would suggest that the captain and Phelan may have palyed every week if uninjurred. The others would have played some league football in 1986. Have I missed anybody?

Doubt any of them would take George's spot Ark, I think we are forgetting just how good he was. Didn't he kick 8 or 9 on debut for the vfl dogs?
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128575

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
DG: that is true -- it was eight goals -- but he only kicked 27 goals in three seasons in all his time at Footscray. He, of course, was not big enough to play as a key forward. He had a very good season for us in 1988, for which I will always be thankful.

Do you remember Brad Gray and Nick Greenwood?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DG

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128587

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 840
2017 Players who I think would definitely be in the mix in 86 would be Dela, Horse, Phez, Lockyer, Heal, Twomey, Ryan and Clang. Lockyer & Heal have bigger bodies than the boys back in 86, Horse & Phez pick themselves as they are in the top 5 mids in the comp (when fit). Subi of course play a very different game these days, more direct and more handball, whereas Bunts was responsible for the chip and charge style more short kicking, that changed the game after the Swans era. Neesham followed suit but modified Bunts style with some elements of Water polo. No more key full forwards these days at Subi, Skidda was probably the last truely dominant WAFL FF, Turbo was great for us back in the mid 80's along with JG who had an amazing finals series in 88. Ahhh the memories :-)

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128593

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SS: good post. For me, the standard of the competition is not too bad comparred to the past, as every club would have players whom would get a kick in the pre-1986 era. We should also keep in mind that the WAFL has defeatted every other state in recent times, an achievement which should not be under-ratted. I can assure you that if the SANFL had such a record, they would be telling the whole Commonwealth of Australia
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128595

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
From last years GF .Horsley played AFL for the GCS.Played a belter in the GF.

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128604

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
gtr: He did indeed, without the efforts of Blakeley and Yarran, and given that Peel failled to kick straight early in the game, at one point, I thought he might just get us across the line. Never mind. That Peel side, as you know , was one of the better sides seen in the WAFL since 1987.

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128606

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Ark if you go back to 16 or 15.Broughton,Menagola,does Yarran make 86 on the bench .

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128614

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ArkRoyal wrote: DG: that is true -- it was eight goals -- but he only kicked 27 goals in three seasons in all his time at Footscray. He, of course, was not big enough to play as a key forward. He had a very good season for us in 1988, for which I will always be thankful.

Do you remember Brad Gray and Nick Greenwood?

I remember Greenwood but Brad Grey I'm not so sure Ark

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128633

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

gtrxuone wrote: Ark if you go back to 16 or 15.Broughton,Menagola,does Yarran make 86 on the bench .

I'd have Menagola in gtr. Yarran too if he didn't sink us last year ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128641

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
gtr: good point on those players. I would have played Broughton in the backline, possibly in place of Crutchfield, as he was taller; Menagola, would have been fine on a a half back flank or wing. Yarran would have had stiff competition, although, considerring we played a very young Karl Langdon, Yarran could have had his place on the interchange bench as you suggestted,

dg; thanks, for that on Greenwood and Gray. Was Greenwood a local player?

Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 1759 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• AbrahamErype
  • whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric