Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128493

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Just wonderred how many players from to-day would get a game in 1986, especially if that side had injurious. Thinking back to 1986, and reading our player's list, one or two players got games whom I never really ratted.

The captain and Phelan would have most certainlly each got games in 1986. I also think that the following would have got the odd game:

della
Twomey
Wheeler
Jackson

The captain would have been the equal of Greg Carpenter. He is certainlly a better player than Bevan Warner or Wayne Dawson.
Twomey, della and Wheeler would have competted with players, such as Rod Willet and John G. In fact, if you played Twomey at half back, as indeed Schofiled insists, he would be competting with Kevan Sparks and Clint Roberts.

I would suggest that the captain and Phelan may have palyed every week if uninjurred. The others would have played some league football in 1986. Have I missed anybody?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128525

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
Would Ryan have got a game in 86 AR?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128527

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BH: I decided against because we had three good forwards plus we could rest players, such as the Taylor boys and O'louglin in the forward pockets, all of whom had great fitness than Ryan. He has a lot of talent. What do you think?

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128530

• Jjim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: I decided against because we had three good forwards plus we could rest players, such as the Taylor boys and O'louglin in the forward pockets, all of whom had great fitness than Ryan. He has a lot of talent. What do you think?

Love watching Liam Ryan play , he does have that X factor about him. He would probably have got a game in any era but so hard to compare to that 1986 side that was so strong in an era where the overall standard of competition was higher. Could have been bashed around a bit more than is allowed nowadays when there is more scrutiny on tackling and general physical play now.

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128534

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
jim; thanks for your thoughts in the post. To be honest, Ryan is the best consistent high mark for his size I have seen which is a great credit to him.

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128535

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374
Ark, who coached Subi in 86? Would Schofield be in the mix to take the coaching role in this hypothetical? From what i hear from insiders at Subi Schofield is a brilliant coach

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128537

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
DW: SD and Subi legend H Bunton was our coach so Schofield would have to play second fiddle, I thnk. Overall, though, he should be applauded for his efforts at the club because, as you have pointted out in the past, he sets high standards. To his great credit, he has made players, such as Ryan into league footballers, which for me at least, is a better achievement than the 2015 premiership, where although he had strong opposition from EP, he had some good footballers at his disposal.

Just finally, DW, I know that a lot of Subiaco supporters also really rate Peter German as a coach, as the bloke whom set up the mind set which Subi try to emulate. It hurt the club, I think, to get rid of a Subi man, such as Sparks, but they certainlly made the right decision bringing in German.

I would be pleased to read your thoughts DW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty Weekender

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128540

• Singha
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 115

ArkRoyal wrote: DW: SD and Subi legend H Bunton was our coach so Schofield would have to play second fiddle, I thnk. Overall, though, he should be applauded for his efforts at the club because, as you have pointted out in the past, he sets high standards. To his great credit, he has made players, such as Ryan into league footballers, which for me at least, is a better achievement than the 2015 premiership, where although he had strong opposition from EP, he had some good footballers at his disposal.

Just finally, DW, I know that a lot of Subiaco supporters also really rate Peter German as a coach, as the bloke whom set up the mind set which Subi try to emulate. It hurt the club, I think, to get rid of a Subi man, such as Sparks, but they certainlly made the right decision bringing in German.
I would be pleased to read your thoughts DW.

Subi didn't get rid of sparks exactly ark, he quit on grand final night. In his own words he felt there was something needed that he couldn't bring, so it was someone else's turn

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128541

• Singha
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Well not grand final night, but whatever that was we lost in 2002

1986 and 2017 6 years 9 months ago #128542

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Singha: thanks for letting me know. He was/is a good man Sparks.

Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 225 guests and 5 members online

• swansfan4life
  • Success Hill
  • one time only

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes