Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123540

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332
Thanks Senior Schultz was a very good player looks like he had bad luck with injury at the end like so many others, George Young, Fathers, Keene etc. Sells was one of the good recruits to compliment our colts kids. Feathers was another who returned at the time and had a huge impact what a champion he was
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123544

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH Schultz was one of the best goal scorring midfielders in in the history of the WAFL. He was poached back by Essendon. I think we got Mik Sheldon as compensation. Munro lost form was dropped to the reserves and left the club in 1981. Another one Armstrong bootted out of the side was Douge, whom was replaced by Phil Dobson in early 1981. One of the reasons I have always rememberred the clear-outs was that, as you would have noticed, most of them whom left were our recruits for that year. Bennett played 80 games with Essendon and Hawthorn, but was not regarded as league standard by Armstrong in a side which won one game in 1982. He played 12 games for Essendon in 1981

Sells was orignially recruitted to play in the midfield where he had excelled with Geelong West. In his first game he played on a wing, I think against Claremont.

Can anyone re-call Paul McDonald whom played as a key forward in 1980? He head little impact on the competition. He too played league football for Essendon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123548

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
Loving your recollections from the halcyon era in WA footy the 80s AR.
Some of those Vics who came over to WA mentioned previous with big reputations failed to deliver over here it could be a good topic for posters to name some from their own club I reckon there were quite a few over the years.

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123552

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
BH I know Swans supporters have varying opinions on Daryl Sutton from North Melbourne who played a season for Swans (1981?). He took some pretty Speccy marks and played OK but I thought overall he was disappointing given his reputation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123559

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332
Ark I think Munro also had injury problems towards the end, ankle I think. Yes I remember McDonald, he had a pretty good game against old easts in our final game of the season. That was his last and only game he did anything. Had a good torp on him!
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123560

• Jjim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132

Beasley Hutton wrote: Loving your recollections from the halcyon era in WA footy the 80s AR.
Some of those Vics who came over to WA mentioned previous with big reputations failed to deliver over here it could be a good topic for posters to name some from their own club I reckon there were quite a few over the years.

We had quite a few at subi over the years but one that I remember most was a guy called Lance Styles who was a Tasmanian who I think played for Carlton and was part of the Mike Fitzpatrick transfer in 1975. He played his first game for us at East Freo oval from memory and I remember our own supporters cheering when he was taken from the field in the third quarter. No interchange in those days!

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123562

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

mikeh wrote: BH I know Swans supporters have varying opinions on Daryl Sutton from North Melbourne who played a season for Swans (1981?). He took some pretty Speccy marks and played OK but I thought overall he was disappointing given his reputation.

Totally agree Mike overall he was pretty disappointing (although he did play a game for WA that year 1981) and went back home with his tail between his legs like many other Eastern Staters back then.

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123563

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH -- thanks very much for your kind words. I should add too BH, that, I always enjoy reading your responses which are notable for being very informative indeed. Keep them coming please. What about Magee at SD? Was he coach before Todd?

DG -- thanks for the extra information on Munro in 1981 -- he was a good forward in 1980, a good mark for a man his size. I checked out the Old Easts game you mentioned, and true enough, he did kick 1.1. He also had a good game against WP in round 15, kicking 3.2, in a game we actually won. I think it was the only match that he kicked more than a goal in to be honest.

What happened in the last quarter against EF? We were in front at three-quarter time.

jjim: thanks for the post on Styles, as you can imagine, I had never heard of him. I looked him up, and the frightening thing was as you would remember, he was suppose to be a straight swap for Fitzpatrick in the ruck position. Oh well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123564

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ArkRoyal wrote: BH Schultz was one of the best goal scorring midfielders in in the history of the WAFL. He was poached back by Essendon. I think we got Mik Sheldon as compensation. Munro lost form was dropped to the reserves and left the club in 1981. Another one Armstrong bootted out of the side was Douge, whom was replaced by Phil Dobson in early 1981. One of the reasons I have always rememberred the clear-outs was that, as you would have noticed, most of them whom left were our recruits for that year. Bennett played 80 games with Essendon and Hawthorn, but was not regarded as league standard by Armstrong in a side which won one game in 1982. He played 12 games for Essendon in 1981

Sells was orignially recruitted to play in the midfield where he had excelled with Geelong West. In his first game he played on a wing, I think against Claremont.

Can anyone re-call Paul McDonald whom played as a key forward in 1980? He head little impact on the competition. He too played league football for Essendon.

I do remember Mike Sheldon AR played 36 games from 1981-83 to go with his 11 games-3 goals for Essendon 1978-80.
Douge I remember headed to the Sunday Football League for many years after getting the chop at Subi where he was skipper too after 81 games 1977-81 and many (91 games-8 goals 1969-76) at Hawthorn before that including the 1976 VFL Premiership.
McDonald (13 games 1980) & Dobson (16 games 1979-81) I must admit I am struggling to remember them play what was their background AR & DG?
Styles only played 8 games in his 1 year (1975) Jim so yes he must have been a flop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

subi forward at carlton 6 years 11 months ago #123565

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
AR.From memory Subi spent up quiet big in the mid 70's.Coming off the 73 flag and finals in 74.Sold Fitzpatrick to CLT.Did they recruit Featherby back,B Douge and V Catogio and Schults+some Vfa and country Vic players.
Just need an edit BH in the post above just answered most of thoes questions.lol.

Last edit: by gtrxuone.
Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 317 guests and one member online

• Success Hill

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL