Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9108

• La Hincha
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Friday, March 22, 6.45pm

Probably couldn't think of a more difficult game to start the season - apart perhaps Claremont at Claremont.

All those younger blokes West Perth have been grooming for the last 12 months like Nelson, Black, Manning, Rasmussen and co. look to have stepped up as you would hope after getting some good game time under their belts.

The old firm remains - Strijk, Salecic, Bartholomew, Van Berlo, Browne, Gaudagnin, Tsalikis, Keunen, Tedesco and Hunt. Rookies Johnson and Rodda played exceptionally well against East Perth and recruits Kerr and Manzone looked solid enough and Mellington looked fairly dangerous as a medium fwd..

Hutchings will probably be released by the Eagles to play after missing Round 1 - unless they have him in mind for AFL selection - which some are tipping.

Their backline isn't particularly tall nor is it nimble (Hunt/Pettigrew) and can be tested although East Perth didn't manage to get the ball down their enough to worry the West Perth defenders.

Hopefully we can break even on the forward 50 count. Last year we were getting around 39/40 or so on average. Against East Perth, West Perth were able to get the ball in there 56 times.

Hopefully our new look midfield including Sheed, Kayler-Thomson, Waters, Daniels, perhaps Gum if fit, Halligan, Moore, Le Fanu if fit, perhaps Phillips if ready, plus regulars Bristow, Hampson, Forrest and Kerr can get the job done.

Just got to figure out who plays as the lead-up forward to compliment Sinclair, Madut, Wheeler, DeLuca, Pickett, Halligan and co. and the mids running through.

Stevenson, Herring, Hay, Daye, Worthington (As Vin suggested might be an option) or switch Hampson up there?

One way or another quite a few good players aren't going to get a game from week to week. We have some depth now with a larger crop of good younger players coming through which is a relief.

With a bit of luck, plenty of people get along as it's a stand alone game on Friday night and one of only two WAFL games being played on the weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9178

• La Hincha
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Strange, how often would it have happened that the entire round of fixtures (Albeit 2 games) have been played at one ground (Leederville)?

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9204

• Vin
  • Thank you received: 0
I wonder how many successful full forwards there have been around the 5'11 of Worthington? I know he aint Brian Peake, but I remember him playing at ff in a state game and bagging 7. That was a great day. Peake wasnt all that tall. I like your idea of the talls up there. Bit like chucking Laurie keene up there - very hard for defenders to go against him. Didnt he pretty much spend a season at full forward?

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9205

• BC
  • Thank you received: 1547
Stevenson, Worthington and Nathan Phillips were all good in the two's against Claremont and shouldn't be far away from getting a run in the league this week.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9209

• po.cocko
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well just going on pre season form(V east freo & tigers)I think Subi are going to have a pretty good season, so I will pick them to beat the jerkers, and when we are at full strentgh should account for most other teams, But I still think the east freo & the tigers will be the teams to beat come seasons end.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9219

• La Hincha
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Vin wrote: I wonder how many successful full forwards there have been around the 5'11 of Worthington? I know he aint Brian Peake, but I remember him playing at ff in a state game and bagging 7. That was a great day. Peake wasnt all that tall. I like your idea of the talls up there. Bit like chucking Laurie keene up there - very hard for defenders to go against him. Didnt he pretty much spend a season at full forward?

Yeah he did come to think of it and often rested there later in his career as well.

They did at play Wortho up forward in the ressies Vin, so maybe a change of thinking at last - because he never looked comfortable in defence to me.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9223

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 119

Vin wrote: I wonder how many successful full forwards there have been around the 5'11 of Worthington? I know he aint Brian Peake, but I remember him playing at ff in a state game and bagging 7. That was a great day. Peake wasnt all that tall. I like your idea of the talls up there. Bit like chucking Laurie keene up there - very hard for defenders to go against him. Didnt he pretty much spend a season at full forward?

Brenton Cooper was 5'11" and he kicked 90 goals for Perth in 1994.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9230

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 840
After watching the munchers v east eagles on the TV, we will be up against it friday night. They had massive run through the midfield and multiple targets up forward. Our form against Claremont was very encouraging and the last 3 quarters against the Gummies was good by all accounts, but with such a big player turn over and a new coach we should expect some inconsistency to start with.

Backline will be very solid again if they all stay fit, mids much improved from last couple of seasons but will depend a lot on how often Sinclair plays, lets hope Cox and Nicnat stay fit all year. I see the forward line as still being unsettled but if we can settle Clanger at CHF and get someone firing at FF the flanks and pockets look ok. Would be tempted to rotate Sinclair, Clanger, Madut and a fourth tall through the ruck, CHF, FF & The bench. Need Sinclair on field as often as possible as he's a hard match up resting in a pocket.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9232

• Chopper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yep i watched the Wp v's EP game on the TV also and I think we'll be pushing it up hill for a win. The Cardy's looked good and will be a good test for Subi 1st up.

Round 2 v West Perth at Leederville 11 years 1 month ago #9244

• Leedy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 148
Chop,

We are only 1 game old, we also have a pretty young group that has to prove themselves. Should be a close one I reckon.

Moderators: BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 962 guests and one member online

• TheFeds

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977