Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96980

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
Interesting post freeze ...as someone of around Swandogs vintage my memories and recollections of that time and era are as clear today as they were back then, probably even more clearer than the more modern era tbh.
That may have a lot to do with such vices as alcohol not effecting ones vivid memories :silly: but more so at that age you tend to be far more impressionable than as an adult and one doesn't have the other stresses of the world that we adults deal with on a day to day basis.
Back on Mr Rioli who was as close to the smoothest moving footballer in full flight I have ever seen a great compliment to him from an opposition supporter was he caused my beloved Swans more trouble than anyone from that great era of WAFL footy even more so than the likes of Michael, Carter, Hardie, Vigona, Monteath, McKay, Campbell, Barrett, Morley et al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96981

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
I reckon Noel Carter was always a bit underrated. Joe Mckay was one of the best defenders I have seen.

But there's no doubt in my mind we missed what should of been at least back to back falgs or eve a hat trick with what we had.

In saying that . there were some tremendous teams going around then, I reckon Claremont was one of the best and most exciting to watch.

Last edit: by Bazza.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96987

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
yeah the Krakoeurs, Ralph, Hunter etc were definitely part of that Cl era Bazza....folk rave on about Andy Krakouers exploits in 2010....he wouldn't of touched the footy v Rioli, Peake and Campbell in their pomp....Big Basil would of ironed out Andy in the first 10 mins and would of been too scared to go near the footy....

BH you would of been at an age where you firstly could hardly see any of the game due to being small, plus you would of been too interested in stuffing hotdogs, Choc 99's or coke down ya gob or rolling down the grass banks to of noticed the footy mate like most youngsters do and have done at the footy....are you telling me your insight/appreciation/concentration for the game's intricacies were better at the age of 7-10 then as an teenager - adult?...FMD are you Benjamin Button or something?

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96992

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Very good viewing from the McDonald Stand freeze no need to be tall there mate with a comfy cushion to boost ones height ..I was far more interested in the fantastic footy on the park then rolling down the grass banks etc Freeze and mums lunches she made up for us all on our weekly footy excursions out did any of the old caravan takeaway food although I do remember having the best hotdog I still have ever eaten from one of those old munch n go vans.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96994

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Swandog wrote:

Freezin wrote: Just oozed class in a comp full of champs at the time....more than a fair summation Swandog.....love the fact that you were under 10 by the time SD had won their hatrick.....the memories must be pretty faded by now mate since you are in your 40's.....feel gutted for you being such a staunch follower of the WAFL that you were so young during the comps pomp and prime......

Haha well I was 9/10 and 11 during our hat rick and remember it vividly..glad I`m not a young EF fan born around 93/94 (if there are any) as they would not have a memory of anything but failure. Anyway usual stuff from you = off topic

Haha yeah mate is it any wonder Freeze's teenage son has turned his nose at supporting his old mans mob (despite freezes urgings or maybe in spite of) and joined the Mighty Black & White brethren thus allowing him the euphoria in being able to see his team win at least a Premiership in his lifetime! :whistle:

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96995

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
LOL BH... then you are well mature before your years mate.....though TBH I have no doubt the real reason behind your maturity, was that your folks didn't want to see you get hurt rolling down those Basso's embankments....esp with all those cast off needles and broken beer bottles lying around there mate :P

considering none of my son's were even interested in Aussie Rules BH. until their mid teens..as both were born in the UK and soccer fanatics, I am just happy they watch real footy now and take an interest with their old man....they love the banter too :whistle: ..they can support whoever they want mate (SD an SF)....my old man was a mad Perth fan and I could easily done what you and SwanDog did and jumped on a winning team bandwagon, but chose not to...Perth were fantastic from memory in the late 60's - mid 70's during my early years of 5 - 10.....no doubt in your household and definitely in Swan Dog's house... it's black n white or get farked out of my house! :whistle:....thank fark my old man was a reasonable fella eh?

thank fark I have some decent memories of Rioli in his prime....no wonder why that "Lost WAFL" page is around and gold....reminds those like you BH and Swandog who missed out really on years of quality footy and enables those like me, BC, SS, TOSG and Bazza to reminisce about how fortunate we were and what a travesty it is, post 1987, on where the WAFL is today.....

Last edit: by Freezin.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #97000

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hmmm so if your kids were born in the UK in the 90s then that would probably suggest you haven't seen an EF Premiership live in the flesh since probably the 1985 flag? Feck no wonder your envy of Swans shines out 31 years is a fair whack of time old mate!! :pinch:
Freeze being born in Swan Districts Hospital, having 2 Swans fans as parents, attending a Primary School that 90% of the students supported Swans despite us being moved to the Perth zone not long after probably had some affect on my WAFL team allegiances but probably most importantly to an impressionable young tacker (hence my vivid recollection of the football played on the park rather than playing silly games) was having a family member running around in the famous Black & White at the time that was the absolute clincher!! ;)

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #97004

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

Freezin wrote: yeah the Krakoeurs, Ralph, Hunter etc were definitely part of that Cl era Bazza....folk rave on about Andy Krakouers exploits in 2010....he wouldn't of touched the footy v Rioli, Peake and Campbell in their pomp....Big Basil would of ironed out Andy in the first 10 mins and would of been too scared to go near the footy....

BH you would of been at an age where you firstly could hardly see any of the game due to being small, plus you would of been too interested in stuffing hotdogs, Choc 99's or coke down ya gob or rolling down the grass banks to of noticed the footy mate like most youngsters do and have done at the footy....are you telling me your insight/appreciation/concentration for the game's intricacies were better at the age of 7-10 then as an teenager - adult?...FMD are you Benjamin Button or something?

Yep the Tigers were a sensation, gee I went to some packed days at Claremont Oval

EFFC had an electric mob in the form of Peake, Budgie, Turco, K Taylor, exciting times - 20,000 plus at Derbies! Those were the days, gee the hospital end hill was PUMPING back then ,Beer Caravan Bar and a mass of people moving in motion with the surge of the game!

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #97005

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Beasley Hutton wrote: Hmmm so if your kids were born in the UK in the 90s then that would probably suggest you haven't seen an EF Premiership live in the flesh since probably the 1985 flag? Feck no wonder your envy of Swans shines out 31 years is a fair whack of time old mate!! :pinch:
Freeze being born in Swan Districts Hospital, having 2 Swans fans as parents, attending a Primary School that 90% of the students supported Swans despite us being moved to the Perth zone not long after probably had some affect on my WAFL team allegiances but probably most importantly to an impressionable young tacker (hence my vivid recollection of the football played on the park rather than playing silly games) was having a family member running around in the famous Black & White at the time that was the absolute clincher!! ;)

BH ever heard of Qantas mate?....any howz I was living the Richie Benaud lifestyle only in reverse mate ;) .....so yep was there in the flesh for 92 94 98....as for your up bringing...fark you have lived mate ;) ....no wonder why you are a B&W fanatic....brainwashed from testicle - uterus - birth- school.....all in the DNA i guess!

yeah Budgie, Taylor, Turco were busy bees for EF...Noel Avery was a favourite of mine with those long arms....dont get me started on Dougie green tho....

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #97006

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Beasley Hutton wrote: Very good viewing from the McDonald Stand freeze no need to be tall there mate with a comfy cushion to boost ones height ..I was far more interested in the fantastic footy on the park then rolling down the grass banks etc Freeze and mums lunches she made up for us all on our weekly footy excursions out did any of the old caravan takeaway food although I do remember having the best hotdog I still have ever eaten from one of those old munch n go vans.

Plus I dont know about you mate but I used to study the Westside footy newspaper every Thurs/Frid when I should have been doing school work so like you I was more interested in the footy on the field than shenanigans off it! And thats why I still like to go to the footy on my own unless I'm with Leedy as we are both the same and generally during the game I only chat with you BH and maybe a couple of others in the breaks as I dont go along to drink piss like a lot of others on here. Your knowledge on WAFL mate is unsurpassed in my view by anyone I have met and by most on here too and like you glad I was a kid when we won those hatrick of flags because it makes those days stand out like beacons in my mind.
Back on topic I believe Phil Narkle was right up there alongside Maurice for sheer magic!
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Moderators: Southerner

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 873 guests and 2 members online

• Country member
  • Frothy

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL