Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96881

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
The late great Mr Magic inducted, wonderful to see.

Without doubt the best player I have seen in my time...among many greats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96890

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
you'll get no argument from me on that score. even as an oppostion supporter I used to marvel at his speed of hand and mind and he was a fair and clean player to boot. thoroughly deserved and right up there as my favourite player of all time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96892

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1358
Absolute legend, one of the all time greats of West Australian Football. So sad he passed away so young. He would be a very proud man to recieve the honour and be delighted the way the current Rioli's are carrying on the tradition.

Out of interest, has another SF great and Maurice Rioli team mate Stephen Michael been inducted yet?
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Last edit: by DD.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96953

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386
I used to go along to South games when I could when he returned in 1988 just to watch him play,in my top 5 favourites, I was pissed off watching the coverage on you tube tonite that they didn't show any South Freo footage, but glad that Dean put them straight and mentioned South as often as he could. Long live the WAFL and all of its great clubs all rivalries and banter aside
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96954

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Bazza wrote: The late great Mr Magic inducted, wonderful to see.

I was only 5 in 1979 but anecdotally I have heard that 79/80/81 Western Australia saw the very best of him before he went East, would this be a fair summation?
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96961

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
Just oozed class in a comp full of champs at the time....more than a fair summation Swandog.....love the fact that you were under 10 by the time SD had won their hatrick.....the memories must be pretty faded by now mate since you are in your 40's.....feel gutted for you being such a staunch follower of the WAFL that you were so young during the comps pomp and prime......

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96962

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Swandog wrote:

Bazza wrote: The late great Mr Magic inducted, wonderful to see.

I was only 5 in 1979 but anecdotally I have heard that 79/80/81 Western Australia saw the very best of him before he went East, would this be a fair summation?

Outstanding player in and for WA, but certainly made a huge impact in the VFL, won a Norm Smith.

Came back to SFFC in late 80s and was still incredible to watch.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96974

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Freezin wrote: Just oozed class in a comp full of champs at the time....more than a fair summation Swandog.....love the fact that you were under 10 by the time SD had won their hatrick.....the memories must be pretty faded by now mate since you are in your 40's.....feel gutted for you being such a staunch follower of the WAFL that you were so young during the comps pomp and prime......

Haha well I was 9/10 and 11 during our hat rick and remember it vividly..glad I`m not a young EF fan born around 93/94 (if there are any) as they would not have a memory of anything but failure. Anyway usual stuff from you = off topic

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96976

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
LOL SwanDog.....ditto for you mate = whinge......doesn't change the fact swan Dog you only got a snap shot of the WAFL at its pomp...as a teenager/adult you have had to digest the post WCE / Freo WAFL shite....lucky you!! :lol:

Maurice was just so silky in his movements, sort of like Holding and his bowling....deathly silence but oh so destructive....Rioli and Michael destroyed many a team week in week out during those glory years....TBH I am so glad to have been old enough to remember all aspects of these guys careers at their peak..can't think of ONE player worthy of comparison in the WAFL post WCE/Freo.......feel sorry for the poor bastards bought up on that shite during their formative adolescent years.

pity I have little memories of other legends such as Sorrell, Walker, Farmer etc...all just names TBH who obviously are engraved in WAFL folklore...but sadly just a name come end of the day with the odd reel highlight here and there....I feel for you SwanDog I really do mate....talk about been cheated or what!

Last edit: by Freezin.

Maurice Rioli Hall of Fame 7 years 10 months ago #96979

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If you weren't there in the 70's and early 80's you missed the best, as freeze says anything more recent is not even close.

good comments re rioli/Michael - I agree cannot think of anything along the same line, bar rioli in 89 maybe.

post eagles dockers etc...im really glad to have been around freo oval from the early 70s onwards, lets be honest most wafl people still hanging in there are still linked to this era, bugger all have come on board since.

Last edit: by Bazza.
Moderators: Southerner

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 174 guests and 2 members online

• Chickenfried
  • Whinnen

Newest Footy Recruits

• Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL