Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165348

• DD
  • DD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1357
The Eagles have the outer oval fully lighted and 4 towers are up around the main playing arena with the lights to be put up on the remaining two. They look vastly different to light towers we are used to seeing. Each tower has a couple of dozen (approx) different LED panels that are all adjustable which should make it the best lit ground in the WAFL.

I expect we will be seeing night games before too long. On a side note I hope the Eagles will be fitting at least a few rows of seats between their new facilities and the boundary fence and make it accessible to football supporters to enhance the atmosphere at WAFL games. There is no banks or seating on the outer scoreboard side so it makes for a pretty baron site across the other side of the ground and will look pretty silly on televised games.
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DD.

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165358

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
What is happening on your side of the ground?

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165370

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Our facilities will eventually get torn down Baz and new digs built it's an eyesore now seeing 1950's ageing architecture sitting right next to a modern 21st century structure. There is a grand plan for the entire perimeter of the ground so it will eventually get done. When it will start I'm not sure but they will wait until the Eagles facilities are complete. It's not quite there yet.
Get on your bike.

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165374

• smokey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 217
The Grandstand has been riddled with concrete cancer for many years. The quicker we get it down the better.
DD, we are scheduled for a couple of night games this season. The lights will be the best in WA I believe save for Optus Stadium.

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165431

• PD1899
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 43

DD wrote: The Eagles have the outer oval fully lighted and 4 towers are up around the main playing arena with the lights to be put up on the remaining two. They look vastly different to light towers we are used to seeing. Each tower has a couple of dozen (approx) different LED panels that are all adjustable which should make it the best lit ground in the WAFL.

I expect we will be seeing night games before too long. On a side note I hope the Eagles will be fitting at least a few rows of seats between their new facilities and the boundary fence and make it accessible to football supporters to enhance the atmosphere at WAFL games. There is no banks or seating on the outer scoreboard side so it makes for a pretty baron site across the other side of the ground and will look pretty silly on televised games.

Which is why the games should be filmed from the outer side. This is not hard to do and should be done for all games - much better look for tv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, Jjim

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165438

• Jjim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132

PD1899 wrote:

DD wrote: The Eagles have the outer oval fully lighted and 4 towers are up around the main playing arena with the lights to be put up on the remaining two. They look vastly different to light towers we are used to seeing. Each tower has a couple of dozen (approx) different LED panels that are all adjustable which should make it the best lit ground in the WAFL.

Which is why the games should be filmed from the outer side. This is not hard to do and should be done for all games - much better look for tv.

Something i have believed for a long time with the WAFL too. The sight of two men and a dog on otherwise empty banks makes a TV viewer believe no one goes to the games when the majority of the crowd is on the side with grandstands and other cover and facilties. Will be interested to see how Lathlain looks now later in the year.

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165441

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
I agree PD & Jim the cameras should be filming from the outer directed towards the stands at the grounds.
From memory Ch7 trialled it at Claremont Oval in the 80s.
Maybe it had something to do with the direction of the sun but surely in this day and age that could be overcome with camera technology?

New Lighting at Lathlain 5 years 3 weeks ago #165501

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
I to think that the cameras should be facing the crowd so for those watching at home it gives the broadcast more atmosphere.

Could it be that they don't do this because the players might get lot in the crowd?

New Lighting at Lathlain 4 years 11 months ago #167098

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well the first historical match at Lathlain under the new lights. Great atmosphere and it has to be said it was a perfect night weather wise. But i have to be honest i was a little disappointed with the lights. There were a lot of dark areas on the outer wings and flanks around the 50m arcs and having been at the game and seen it on tv tonight confirmed what i felt at the game. The corridor was well lit up so maybe it just needs a bit of tinkering. There are maybe 20 or so individual LED panels on each tower, they all looked to be aiming in different directions so I think they need to get the cherry picker out and some lighting guru with a light meter to get an even spread around the ground.

On another note it was weird seeing a Hungry Jacks shop at a WAFL ground. Seeing the big Hungry jacks sign above the canteen, HJ's menu and fully kitted out in HJ appliances and uniforms. Great idea whoever came up with fitting a shelf along the top of the railing just inside the main gate.

Interesting to read in The West that club prez Bob Shields is hoping for new facilities to be completed by the end of 2021. That seems very ambitious. The wrecking ball would have to start swinging by the and of next season for that to happen.

thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/perth-demons-c...story-ng-b881178256z
Get on your bike.

Last edit: by DD.

New Lighting at Lathlain 4 years 11 months ago #167101

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 133
Agree DD, I was at the game and also thought lighting on the 50m arks was a little down. I haven't seen it on TV though. Still excellent to get them up and running just a bit of fine tuning needed.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

• Page:
Moderators: Dazzler

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 462 guests and 2 members online

• westaussieguy
  • Demons Forever

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes