Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159832

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
Hopefully I havent missed anyone DD, Dazz, DF & co-

BA: Gandini, Montgomery, W.Simms
HB: Roberts, Cook, Yorgey
CE: Johnson, Watson, Barich
HF: Bosustow, Spalding, D.Simms
FO: Ryder, Rea, Dick
RU: Baynes, Cousins, Wiley
INT: Turner, Shepherd, Gavranich, Kimberley
EM: Santostefano, Fancote, Prunster, Whittington, Carter, Washfold, Fitzgerald, Worthington, Nicholas, Newman, Zaikos, Lucas, Garbin, Hibbins, Mount, Clarkson, Mumford.

Coach: Mal Brown
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grump, Dazzler, ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159862

• Time For a Flag
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 128
Looks pretty good to me. Well done from a SD supporter.
I can't remember the Buzz doing much on return from Carlton and I am not sure who Roberts is on the hbf but I loved the Simms boys - terrible if i am correct but i believe one of them has died. Poor old Baynes peaked too early and may have had mental health issues that lead to his death because of it # 27. Barry Kimberley - one of two queens park boys in the above list (the other Turner - Steve) - Kimberley simpson medalist with SD. I knew his dad and he was a great man. Santostefano's dad use to cut my hair. Who's was the big bodied mid fielder who was drafted to essendon circa 1987 but was shot down with injuries - his dad a coppa. I remember liking Shepherd and have been happy of his success with Peel tainted though it is.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by Time For a Flag.

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159863

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
TFF: Clint Roberts was a tough defender whom played above his weight quite a lot-- later went to Subiaco;
another good wingman that I liked was Oral Mcguire, whom played opposite Shepherd

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159873

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

Time For a Flag wrote: Looks pretty good to me. Well done from a SD supporter.
I can't remember the Buzz doing much on return from Carlton and I am not sure who Roberts is on the hbf but I loved the Simms boys - terrible if i am correct but i believe one of them has died. Poor old Baynes peaked too early and may have had mental health issues that lead to his death because of it # 27. Barry Kimberley - one of two queens park boys in the above list (the other Turner - Steve) - Kimberley simpson medalist with SD. I knew his dad and he was a great man. Santostefano's dad use to cut my hair. Who's was the big bodied mid fielder who was drafted to essendon circa 1987 but was shot down with injuries - his dad a coppa. I remember liking Shepherd and have been happy of his success with Peel tainted though it is.

Barry Kimberley was a great player TFAF he is fondly remembered by all SD fans as a tough as teak rover who knew where the goals were.
I included Buzz more for his 1980 season plus his early season form in his return from Carlton in 1984 before he put his arm through that plate glass window at Lathlain Park after a disappointing loss vs Subi that year which set him back for a bit...very exciting player at his best!

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159874

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1350
Very impressive BH, I'd probably have to have Ross Prunster in there somewhere but I would have struggled to come up with the list you have put together. Well done mate. Oh, Brett Farmer was pretty handy too but probably played his best footy at the Tigers. Others that Brownie brought to Lathlain but didn't stay for long were Lyndsay Kanther who suffered a bad injury in pre season from memory and never returned and Warren Mosconi I think played one season or part of one then retired due to work commitments (joined the boys in blue).
Get on your bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by DD.

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159885

• waflfootyfacts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 257
Most Games for Perth in the 1980's...
158 COUSINS, Bryan
121 REA, Mick
101 WATSON, Mark
100 SHEPHERD, Cam
91 GAVRANICH, John
91 GANDINI, Len
83 ROBERTS, Clint
81 DICK, Willy
80 WHITTINGTON, Gavin

Most Goals for Perth in the 1980's...
463 REA, Mick
187 COUSINS, Bryan
187 RYDER, Wayne
165 SIMMS, Doug
142 BOSUSTOW, Peter
119 WATSON, Mark
107 WILEY, Rob

Most Goals per game for Perth in the 1980's (min: 20 games)...
3.83 REA, Mick
2.84 BOSUSTOW, Peter
2.49 RYDER, Wayne
2.39 SIMMS, Doug
2.00 STASINOWSKY, Chris
1.65 WILEY, Rob
1.50 JOHNSON, Alan
1.50 NARKLE, Dempsey

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159902

• Dazzler
  • Thank you received: 384

Beasley Hutton wrote: Hopefully I havent missed anyone DD, Dazz, DF & co-

EM: Santostefano, Fancote, Prunster, Whittington, Carter, Washfold, Fitzgerald, Worthington, Nicholas, Newman, Zaikos, Lucas, Garbin, Hibbins, Mount, Clarkson, Mumford.

What a top side...and coach. So many great players in mostly average teams during that era. Some personal favourites, the one and only Doug Simms, Len Gandini, Willie Dick and Wayne Ryder.

Darlye Freame will be disappointed but otherwise a top list,

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159919

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118

Time For a Flag wrote: Looks pretty good to me. Well done from a SD supporter.

Was that Brad Fox.

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159921

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118

Beasley Hutton wrote: Hopefully I havent missed anyone DD, Dazz, DF & co-

Yes a very good effort by a Swans supporter Beas.

I would make a couple of adjustments just my opinion of course. As much as I loved Brian Cook I think by the early 80's injuries were catching up with him and he was certainly past his best years of the mid to late 70's. I would put Mark Washfold in at CHB. He was no superstar but was very dependable in a poor team. I don't Clint Roberts developed into the player we all hoped he would and then left for Subi. Mount and Montgomery have to be in the team. They were both outstanding players around 86 - 88 and very versatile at either end of the ground.

My team,

FB: Dick Montgomery Mount
HB: Gandini Washfold Yorgey
C: Johnson Watson Barich
HF: Bosustow E.Spalding D.Simms
FF: Ryder Rea Santostefano
Ruck: W.Simms Cousins Wiley
Int: Baynes Freame Stasinowsky Fancote

Perth Best Side-1980s 5 years 4 months ago #159922

• smokey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 213
So many good players listed. It is a pity and a shame that we could not get our sh*t together and win a flag.
Having said that, Claremont and Swan Districts were outstanding in that era,

• Page:
Moderators: Dazzler

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 337 guests and 6 members online

• Senior Seagull
  • Mr AFL
  • Time For a Flag
  • Blackduck
  • Tiger Tales
  • Ti Em