Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What's the future hold? 7 years 7 months ago #103455

• DD
  • DD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1350
Well it's been a funny old season that has seen us notch up 7 wins dominating SD and Claremont who finished about 40% above us. But still we finished second last. Earl unearthed a number of young players that have shown they are capable at this level but clearly we are still way short of being a top four side and you really want to be aiming to be a top two side.

More recruiting is required and just as importantly retain the quality players we do have. Too often we see recruits leave after 2 or 3 years so the ones we pick up only serve as replacements. Hopefully the squad is a tight unit determined to build on the steps forward this year.

With Vince Pendal's passing will that pave the way for fresh faces off the field or will the presidency just get passed onto the vice president who's been part of the establishment for a long time?
Get on your bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's the future hold? 7 years 7 months ago #103462

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
Save your money on heavily recruiting DD and put the resources into developing your current Colts & 16s boys and I will guarantee your success will come and be more long term and satisfying. There is an exciting crop coming through at Lathlain just hopefully my mob can be up to the challenge and we may eventually see that long wanted Eastern Derby WAFL GF ...god knows the WAFL needs it badly!

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103469

• Dazzler
  • Thank you received: 384

Beasley Hutton wrote: Save your money on heavily recruiting DD and put the resources into developing your current Colts & 16s boys and I will guarantee your success will come and be more long term and satisfying. There is an exciting crop coming through at Lathlain just hopefully my mob can be up to the challenge and we may eventually see that long wanted Eastern Derby WAFL GF ...god knows the WAFL needs it badly!

Yep, agree with you BH but there isn't a lot of talls in that group so that will need to be filled from outside.

It was great to see some of the 1986 team there on Saturday. Great to see Mick Rea, John Gavranich, Ian Newman, Craig Smith, Alan Montgomery, Mick Garbin, Kim Fancote, John Zaikos and a few i didn't recognise back at the club.

Last edit: by Dazzler.

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103481

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1191
As an outsider - it would be imperative that you guys try bloody hard to keep that midfield intact , that's your key to both feed forwards & go toward anything like a return to finals footy
Another huge thing will be to keep Earl Spalding right where he is , he'll be good for the new batch of kids pushing up next year
See what falls off the Vicco comp tree & go hard at delists in particular any originating from PFC

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103494

• Peter North
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Dazzler wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: Save your money on heavily recruiting DD and put the resources into developing your current Colts & 16s boys and I will guarantee your success will come and be more long term and satisfying. There is an exciting crop coming through at Lathlain just hopefully my mob can be up to the challenge and we may eventually see that long wanted Eastern Derby WAFL GF ...god knows the WAFL needs it badly!

Yep, agree with you BH but there isn't a lot of talls in that group so that will need to be filled from outside.

It was great to see some of the 1986 team there on Saturday. Great to see Mick Rea, John Gavranich, Ian Newman, Craig Smith, Alan Montgomery, Mick Garbin, Kim Fancote, John Zaikos and a few i didn't recognise back at the club.

Who are the likely colts that will step up to league next year and who are the ones that will get drafted, fair bit of interest from AFL clubs I presume.

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103496

• 30plusyeardrought
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 102
In this day and age of WAFL you have to recruit because you know that the other WAFL clubs will.
If you rely solely on your kids you will get left behind at a rapid rate.
AS PN points out the really good ones will get drafted.

As Dazzler says we lack genuine height in KPP and Ruckmen from within and you have to fill those voids from outside.

Also we are unlike all the other WAFL clubs,we dont play finals on a "every other year" basis and havent won a flag in almost 40 years.
The supporters and sponsors will only put up with so much.

As far as this season goes it certainly was an improvement on the win loss column.
We showed some good signs along the way playing to a good uncomplicated game plan and unearthed a couple of good young footballers during the season.

If you looked at who we beat it probably puts a better spin on where we are at imo.

We beat the wooden spooners 3 times,the team that finished 7th twice,a win against the 6th placed team and the upset win against the league leaders on one of the worst wet weather days seen in recent times.
We also took a few thumpings during the season.

So what does the future hold?
I think Spalding needs to get this team playing finals in 2017 if not then i think we are destined to be one of those teams that just yoyo's from 6th to 9th each season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by 30plusyeardrought.

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103506

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
30+: good post; the club needs to do both to really threaten the competition; and as you know, it has recruitted well over the years, it has been local depth which has been the problem.

I think next year is Spalding's third, hopefully the club will make a strong push for the finals; the following year, 2018, is the one where you will definitelly need to make the finals.

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103509

• Dazzler
  • Thank you received: 384

Peter North wrote:

Dazzler wrote:

Who are the likely colts that will step up to league next year and who are the ones that will get drafted, fair bit of interest from AFL clubs I presume.

Zac Fisher and Quinton Narkle are the most likely to get drafted. Could be some more.

The kids they've pushed up to the reserves and league in the second half of the season like Cody Ninyette, John Levien, Chris Leonard, Anton Scotney and state squad players like Kristian Morisey and Gordon Narrier are the ones you'd hope can step up to league next year.

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103514

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Forgive me for the long post but I'll put my two cents worth with two posts. One my opinion of the season just gone and two what I think we need over preseason and heading into 2017.

What's the future hold? 7 years 6 months ago #103515

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 144
I have been reflecting on the season that was over the last couple of days, contemplating again what may have been and what could have been.

We managed to win seven games this season, two more wins than we had managed for the previous two seasons. This was a couple of more than what I had thought we would win at the start of the year and is probably helped by the two wins over the Tigers and the three wins over Swans who had a miserable year. (Not having a dig there as I know you boys will bounce back next season, you always do :P)

One thing that killed us again this season was our disposal efficiency by hand and foot. It was terrible at times and saw numerous kicks to leading players in our forward line butchered because we couldn’t hit a target or took too long to make the right decision which didn’t help us on the scoreboard. These mistakes also lead to turnovers which gave the opposition shots at goal and more often than not they converted them.

On conversion, ours in front of goal this year wasn’t that great either. We kicked 186 goals and 199 behinds for a conversion rate of just 48%.

We only managed to kick over 90-points four times this season. 95-points against Claremont in round two, 95-points against Swans in round eight, 104-points against East Fremantle in round 14 and 100-points against Swans in round 22.

Disappointingly we scored less than 50-points seven times this season. We averaged 65.75 points a game this season which is a very slight improvement on last year but still three to four goals off where it needs to be.

The defensive side of our game makes for interesting reading. 11 times this season we had 90 plus points kicked against us. Seven of those 11 were over 100 points. All of those games were against the top six teams. Interestingly though we only conceded on average 86.45 points a game. This was down from 106.9 points in 2015 and 109.35 points in 2014.

Frustratingly we still have that ability to be within striking distance of an opposition at three quarter time and even at stages in the fourth quarter to fall apart completely. A couple of matches that best reflect this are:

Round Two vs West Perth

Kick the first two goals of the last quarter to be within a goal and you would think that we had a little bit of momentum but we drop our bundle and the Falcons kick the last five goals of the game to win by 41 points.

Round Four vs Subiaco

Not saying we should have won but we matched it in every facet with the Lions instead of goal kicking efficiency and lost by 50 points.

Round 11 vs West Perth

Three-points down at three quarter time to be outrun by the Falcons who have had the wood on us over the years and loose by 26 points.

Round 13 vs East Perth

10-points down at three quarter time and get dominated in the last term and loose by six goals.

Round 18 vs Peel Thunder

Coming off the bye and having won four of our previous five matches we travelled down to Cunderdin but didn’t rock up till the second quarter. Peel kicked the first five goals of the game and we ended up going down by 11-points.

While the season has been disappointing as the aim should always be to play finals I feel that we are in a slightly better position than what we were 12 months ago. The overall commitment that was shown by the players for majority of games was better than it has been for a while and we also saw some promising kids continue to develop.

Here's how I reckon the best and fairest awards will go for all three grades.

League

Clint Jones will probably win over a fast finishing Michael Sinclair. Jared Bell's good form before injury I reckon will have him finish in the top four with Julian Jacobs, Liam McKenna, Aidan Tropiano, Brent Latch and Brent Edmonds all around the top eight.

Reserves

Kurtis Chester is a good chance to win this with Rowan Brookes and Fraser Millar possibly taking it home but might be undone by playing less games in the reserves than Chester.

Colts

Chris Leonard and Brad Pattison have been very good in the games I've watched and should poll well. Watch out for Blake Johnson and Cody Kickett as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by Mr AFL.
Moderators: Dazzler

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 376 guests and 4 members online

• Demons Forever
  • Time For a Flag
  • Blackduck
  • Ti Em

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty