Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142295

• Rookie draft
  • Rookie draft's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
As a Peel supporter it’s refreshing to see tighter qualifying rules for the finals being applied this season. My understanding is there will be a cap of a maximum of 12 AFL listed players.

Personally I don’t think this goes far enough. I think the cap should be 10 meaning there’s more Peel or EP listed players than AFL listed. Getting more hungry for success Peel players in will only serve the club better.

In reflecting on what might have transpired had these qualifying rules been in from the first year of the alignment I think a couple of results may have gone the other way. Perhaps 2016 would have been a little closer or the result gone the other way. Pretty sure 2014 result would be reversed. I’m sure East Perth would have loved to have played a few more of their own rather than some of the Eagle duds they played that weren’t at WAFL league standard.

Swings and roundabouts. Bring on 2018.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142296

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543
Rd...I'm astounded the WAFC didn't stipulate that for an aligned player to qualify for WAFL finals he must have played more WAFL than AFL games throughout the season. To me that should be the first criterion as it ensures the integrity of the WAFL is maintained by having WAFL players against predominantly other WAFL players. It's particularly relevant for the next couple of years as I can't see Freo or WCE playing finals in the near future.

Last edit: by BC.

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142298

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 836
Fair comments RD given it was a predominantly Peel team that averaged 9 listed players during the home and away season that got you into 3rd place for the finals.

BC it sounds like too much common sense for the WAFC to think of something like that.

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142299

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
Has the number of qualifying games increased? or is it still 5?

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142301

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No it's still 5 as I understand it Mike but they must have played at least 3 of those in the second half of the season.....I think..... If the current rules had been applied for the 2017 season then I read somewhere Peel would have had 12 qualify instead of 15. Here's the link....

www.wafootball.com.au/news/13691/wafc-an...l-finals-eligibility

Last edit: by BC.

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142306

• Roman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149
The WAFC make minor changes after the event. Let's see what they do if the Peel Dockers do a three-peat?

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142308

• TheTrain
  • Thank you received: 4
I’d be keen to know this?

What would be the response the WA footballing public if peel saluted again? I ask this genuinely, would it simply be tarnished as a false victory and calls for asterisks... or would people potentially give an ounce of respect to the boys from the south?

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142309

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
To be honest TT I find it increasingly difficult to have respect for a team made up of full time professionals not withstanding some are just kids whilst others are at the back end of their AFL careers when they're pitted against guys who work or study and have to fit in their footy commitments around other things. On one hand, you have guys who only play footy,....that's their primary function in life and are supported by the best sports scientists, medicos, trainers, coaches, player welfare officers, world class training facilities and so on. They go to the footy club in the morning and concentrate on just footy until it's time to go home. On the other hand we have G7 footballers where footy is an add on, something else to expend energy on before or after work....so I personally don't think it's fair or right to have the two competing against each other as it is currently. I would much prefer to go back to what we had before where players stayed at their club of origin but I also know that will never happen and make no mistake, I understand the reasons why and have some empathy for the position of Freo and WCE in keeping all players together but I just don't like it.

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142310

• TheTrain
  • Thank you received: 4
BC,

Even if that only counts for half the side?

And the other half have pretty heavy restrictions on recruiting?

This of course is looking at 2018

New qualifying rules for finals 6 years 1 month ago #142311

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Fair point TT...I guess my opinion is tainted by the 2016 and 2017 GF's where Peel had an average of 9 aligned players during the season and yet 17 suited up for the GF two years ago and 15 last year. Clearly there's an issue when a team can load up like they did come finals time. We'll just have to wait and see what happens this year and whether the new rules have any affect.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 385 guests and 2 members online

• Mr AFL
  • DD

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes