Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 5 months ago #993

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
New coach appointed.

Craig played 95 games for Freo, 29 games for Saints.

Coaching experience is stated as State 18's assistant coach, and last years League coach for Waroona Football Club (reigning premiers)

My young bloke will be going down for the try out's so it will be interesting to how everything goes.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7703

• Diorites
G'Day Trav,

Read on Subiaco forum you coached some juniors at my old club Mines Rovers in GFL, hope your young bloke is going well. Any idea why there are so many ex Diorites youngsters in WAFL colts squads at the moment. Heard that not only boys at Subi, but also some that families had moved previously are at East Freo, Swans & West Perth too. I played there back in the 90's & the league club has been incredibly strong for a while & had heard that a lot if work had gone into their junior program there after they pretty much folded. Unusual for so many from a GFL club to be all down having a crack. Any of them have what it takes to go all the way? Hard gig moving from the country to play at that age, especially if you don't have family to live with.

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7709

• Diorites
Great country club, one of the more successful in the country, great tradition, great people & lots of premierships. seem to have had a knack of attracting quality coaches in the last 20+ years. Heard they have Dizzy Fleay from WP there this year, who would still be handy at any WAFL club. Any idea why so many kids down having a crack Anchorman? I think a lot of Diorites success was because many of the young blokes stuck around. Have heard the Jeff 'Flower' Turner has done a powerhouse of work in the junior program whilst still playing. Couldn't believe it when I heard he was still running around. Definately one of our better recruits after coming across from Boulder back in the 90's. Heard his young blokes are pretty handy too, should be trying to get them to come down this way!

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7715

• Diorites
That's why I'm curious, knew that there hasn't always been the best relationship with Subi with any of the clubs, asked La Hincha what he knew but he only knew about how the boys were going at Subi. That's why I asked Trav, thought he might have been able to shed some light. Have pm'd you since we have hi jacked Peels Forum! Maybe Subi like all the WAFL clubs have lifted their game since the AFL alignment with Peel & EP.

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7724

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Trav wrote: New coach appointed.

Coaching experience is stated as State 18's assistant coach, and last years League coach for Waroona Football Club (reigning premiers)

My young bloke will be going down for the try out's so it will be interesting to how everything goes.

Cheers

And dont forget to mention where cut his teeth and learnt his trade, at Swan Districts
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7738

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
G'day Diorites,good to see you are on board mate.

Yes my young bloke has made the cut so just up to him now to see if he can get in the final 23 each week.

In regards to why so many Diorites are getting around at the moment, I have no real answer for you. It is true Jeff & Nardia Turner have put the juniors in a great place and they have had some top blokes who played league come down and coach the junior teams.

I just think that it is luck of the draw sometimes.

La Hincha dropped a few names in the other thread

Tom Breeze, Bryce Harring, Brandon Dowrick etc all good prospects.

These boys are Boulder, Boulder and Kambalda. When i brought that particular group of boys to Perth for an u12 development weekend Mines were weaker in this age group, and there was a couple from Kalgoorlie that are very talented as well as the 3 listed.

So Mines have the spot light now and it could be Boulder next...

As you know the opportunities to play sport in Kalgoorlie is enormous and in winter my kids used to play soccer / football then as they got older went to hockey / football as the travel time between ground was 10 minutes. (except Kambalda twice a year) and you would struggle to do that in most metro areas. So it is my belief that these opportunities to play a variety of sports help with the understanding of team strategy and on field positioning, if that makes sense?

Swandog wrote: And dont forget to mention where cut his teeth and learnt his trade, at Swan Districts

Yes Swandog I have since learnt, over the last couple of months that Craig indeed did his apprenticeship with swannies. The original info about Craig came from the Peel site. I like his style and I believe the players will learn a fair bit from him during the season.

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7742

• La Hincha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm not sure how things used to be in regard to the relationship with Subiaco/Goldfields but definitely in the last 2 years it's been fantastic.

Apart from the Goldfields boys who will come down for some games in the development squad matches over the next 8 weeks, there is also a Goldfields 16's development squad that trains together with former Subi player Shane Joyce. So even though they can't make it to many city training sessions they're still participating in a really good program of their own. It's a long drive for them for a development squad match of course but hopefully they'll play 2 or 3 games.

Last year we had Dom Sheed (Mines), Charlie Le Fanu (Mines), Dylan Clarke (Kalgoorlie city), Alex Sheed (Mines), Levi Dellar (Railways), Mitch Turner (Mines) and Mitch Sheppard (Kalgoorlie City) all play colts and in 2011 the players were Myles Smythe (Boulder), Matt Bogensperger (Kalgoorlie city), Haydn Maher (Kalgoorlie City), Charlie Le Fanu (Mines), Karl Steinhauser (Kambalda), Norman Stubbs (Mines), Sam Turner (Mines) and Callum McQuiggan (Railways) - so 2 good groups there and I'm sure 2013 will be just as good.

A few of the other lads that might be in contention for development squad matches this year apart from Tom Breeze, Brandon Dowrick and Bryce Harring include Ryan Borchet, Seb Wellstead, Simon Cullen and Lloyd Donaldson and a few others no doubt.

So all up there may be about 9 or 10 from the Goldfields in the 16's development squad this year counting the few that have moved to boarding school.

Strangely and maybe for the first time in those 2/3 years I think Esperance boys will maybe outnumber Kal. Their 1997 DOB group is absolutely outstanding.

All in all, I'm really wrapped with how it's all going at the moment.

Last edit: by La Hincha.

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7745

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

Trav wrote: New coach appointed.

Cheers

I am totally flabbergasted that one could detail Craig Callaghan's career as a player & coach & not a single mention of Swan Districts in either ..Calla's is as much apart of Swans history as the McDonald Stand is! :blush:

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7760

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
more to life than the SD footy club I guess BH......good to see Craig going back to his roots and helping out Freo's affiliated side in the WAFL.....a true loyal servant of the FFC that Mr Callaghan :)

Last edit: by Freezin.

Colts Coach - Craig Callaghan 11 years 1 month ago #7764

• Vin
I thought the same thing. Think Craig Callaghan , think Swans.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 620 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020
  • MrBulldog
  • FremantlesFinest