Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141195

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
The club had some good key forwards from about 1975-1985, includding:

Tienery
Duda
Edwards
Miller
Arnold
Campbell
Starcevich (apologies on spelling)

Was Duda clearly the best? Also, given the club had such a list of forwards, do EP fans feel that the club may have under-achieved in the early 1980s?

We at Subi would have killed for just one of those names during the early 1980s
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141201

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

ArkRoyal wrote: The club had some good key forwards from about 1975-1985, includding:

Tienery
Duda
Edwards
Miller
Arnold
Campbell

Was Duda clearly the best? Also, given the club had such a list of forwards, do EP fans feel that the club may have under-achieved in the early 1980s?

They also had the likes of Brett Stephens, Michael Christian, John Scott, Murray Couper, John Nolan, Richard Dennis & Glen Bartlett run through the key forward posts with some success at times during that period as well AR.
A few that were not as successful were McTaggart, Coutts, Hall, Hyde & Wilson.
I think Campbell actually ended up down at Subiaco eventually too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141202

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1191
Gary Bygraves
Ron Webster (RIP)
Brent Levitzke (RIP)
Alan Quartermaine
John Hayes (ex-Claremont)
John Scott
Glenn Bartlett
Brett Stephens (ex-VFL)

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141204

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BH and Sotherner great posts, thanks. John Scott was a useful player. I think Glenn Bartlett gave the Royals great service. Yep, BH, Campbell certainly played for Subi, but injury got the better of him. Was John Hall originally from Subi too?

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141205

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ArkRoyal wrote: BH and Sotherner great posts, thanks. John Scott was a useful player. I think Glenn Bartlett gave the Royals great service. Yep, BH, Campbell certainly played for Subi, but injury got the better of him. Was John Hall originally from Subi too?

Yes John Hall was originally from Subiaco.
Interesting to note of the players we have already named so many ended up at other clubs or were originally from other clubs-
Duda (Perth, Subiaco?)
Edwards (SF)
Miller (PE)
Arnold (SF)
Campbell (SU)
Starcevich (Collingwood)
Stephens (Fitzroy)
Christian (Coll)
Scott (CL)
Couper (PE, EF)
Nolan ((EF)
Dennis (Carlton, NM, WP)
McTaggart (WP)
Hall (SU)
Wilson (SD)
Levitzke (SU, EF?)

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141206

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SF actually did pretty well out of EP in that era when Mal Atwell came in as President.
Craig Edwards
Paul Arnold
John Hayes
Geoff Gillies
Willie Roe
Barrie Quick
Robert Solin (returned)

Can only think of Ross Kerr & Stan Magro who went from SF to EP in that same time period although a number did much later Graham, D.Collard, Mazurek etc.

It was amazing how many good players left EP in that period to head to other WAFL clubs.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141211

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
Great topic, Ark, and I agree with you that the accurate-kicking No.8 from Merredin was East Perth's best forward in that era.
Archie Duda was unlucky to miss selection in both the 1972 (midseason knee injury) and 1978 (out of form late in the season) premiership teams.
In 1978, Duda kicked 75 goals in 17 league games and a staggering 51 in six ressies appearances - that's 126 goals in 23 games.
Of course, most clubs had good spearheads in the late '70s (Murray Couper, Ray Bauskis and Simon Beasley instantly spring to mind) and a full-forward had to kick six goals before journos even considering putting him in their top six players for the day.
Southerner, I'm pretty sure Brent Levitzke is still with us, though I may well be wrong.
BH, I moved to CanOfBeerAh in 1981, but believe the firesale of players was due to EPFC getting into severe debt.
Can't recall who the club secretary was at the time, but he would've gone through a few Bic ballpoint pens signing clearance forms.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141258

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
AD -- good post -- from memory all of those blokes -- plus Peter Spencer -- were on good money until Mal Atwell become president about 1983. He tightened the wallet and it was a one-way procession out of the door afterwards. Subi alone, picked up K Sparks, Spencer, Crutchfield, Rattray and Carpenter.

It is interestting in regards the history of full-forwards at EP. Cable, as you know, actually got rid of Duda to bring in Paul Arnold. Claremont, for their part, had a bloke called Peter Avery whom ckicked ten goals a week in their reserves, but never got a regular game owing to the presence of Ralph.
Duda played five games with Subiaco and six with the PFC in 1980.

BH: I did not realise that Richard Dennis played for WP.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141265

• waflfootyfacts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 257

ArkRoyal wrote: AD -- good post -- from memory all of those blokes -- plus Peter Spencer -- were on good money until Mal Atwell become president about 1983. He tightened the wallet and it was a one-way procession out of the door afterwards. Subi alone, picked up K Sparks, Spencer, Crutchfield, Rattray and Carpenter.

It is interestting in regards the history of full-forwards at EP. Cable, as you know, actually got rid of Duda to bring in Paul Arnold. Claremont, for their part, had a bloke called Peter Avery whom ckicked ten goals a week in their reserves, but never got a regular game owing to the presence of Ralph.

BH: I did not realise that Richard Dennis played for WP

Played 8 games in 1994

waflfootyfacts.net/player/stats.php?PlayerID=1643

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141266

• chaddy22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

ArkRoyal wrote: The club had some good key forwards from about 1975-1985, includding:

Tienery
Duda
Edwards
Miller
Arnold
Campbell

I think Tierney was retired before 1975.I remember he kicked about 13 points against Claremont and no goals at perth oval against Claremont.claremont won and I think the score was 19 goals 10 points to east perth 10 goals 28 points.I think he played half forward in the 72 grand final which was a reward for enduring a few gf loses.

Moderators: royallucky

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 179 guests and 2 members online

• Royals78
  • Frothy

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma