OzFooty.Net Sign In

Who's Online?

We have 254 guests and 3 members online

  • Freezin
  • ruddiger
  • Whitey

Newest Footy Recruits

  • blair2019
  • not_alex newton
  • BigFishSmallPond
  • vornez
  • HMac
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: 16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday

16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday 3 years 4 months ago #86391

  • Grump
  • Grump's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1781
  • Thank you received: 185
There is a game at basso for the 16's to show where they are in their preparation for the carnival in march april.

Starts at 4.15 and is just a hit out, but worth a look if you can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday 3 years 4 months ago #86531

  • Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6562
  • Thank you received: 1793
I couldn't make it down this arvo Grump how did it all go?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday 3 years 4 months ago #86540

  • Grump
  • Grump's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1781
  • Thank you received: 185

Beasley Hutton wrote: I couldn't make it down this arvo Grump how did it all go?


It well for the three quarters played, seems the league wanted to train, how dare they!

It was a good hit out for both teams, learnt a bit about who can and who can't make the transition from community to development football.

You guys have a big lad at FF who is imposing from both his size and his agility but I wonder as I do with most bugger lads at this stage whether it will translate. He was fine against the smaller backs but struggle against one of the larger EP boys but that move was a robbing paul thing.

You have some very quick boys who knew more about where to be than a couple of ours. By the same token a couple of our boys showed to real promise.

We have about 6 African boys who will develop as time goes on, with one especially strong and quick, he does have to learn not to try and beat everyone every time he gets the ball, works at community level but not here.

I would strong suggest that folks make the effort to watch the 16's as there are some very good players coming through.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday 3 years 4 months ago #86547

  • swan42
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6550
  • Thank you received: 796

Grump wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: I couldn't make it down this arvo Grump how did it all go?


It well for the three quarters played, seems the league wanted to train, how dare they!

It was a good hit out for both teams, learnt a bit about who can and who can't make the transition from community to development football.

You guys have a big lad at FF who is imposing from both his size and his agility but I wonder as I do with most bugger lads at this stage whether it will translate. He was fine against the smaller backs but struggle against one of the larger EP boys but that move was a robbing paul thing.

You have some very quick boys who knew more about where to be than a couple of ours. By the same token a couple of our boys showed to real promise.

We have about 6 African boys who will develop as time goes on, with one especially strong and quick, he does have to learn not to try and beat everyone every time he gets the ball, works at community level but not here.

I would strong suggest that folks make the effort to watch the 16's as there are some very good players coming through.


Grump thanks for that. Is there a set of fixtures of when the games will be played?

Also, whilst not exactly on the topic but germane to the development pathway, what is your view about reducing the colts' season proposed for next year and the impact it will have on the competion including the affect on player availability (eg PSA players) and qualifying for the finals when teams have a number of players unavailable due to the 18s "carnival"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday 3 years 4 months ago #86550

  • Grump
  • Grump's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1781
  • Thank you received: 185
My thoughts about the colts system in WA are many and varied. Seems one day I think of a different issue and then the next another.

What I would put in is that during the 18's the rest of the colts players or the 80 or 90 next best players are selected to play in combined sides. East, West etc, Subi and WP, Sf/Ef and perhaps Peel, Claremont and Perth, and Swans and EP.

That would give these boys a chance to be coached by some other coaches and perhaps different ideas thus broadening their exposure. or perhaps a pure 17's carnival for those not in Colts but in-between, this may present and issue as it seems this is the age group that suffers from numbers.

I just want to give the boys a chance to learn and develop so that have the best chance of progressing.

I don't want a separate colts system like the VFl although apparently this is a big suggestion, it deprives the clubs of a natural process and it also deprives those boys good enough the opportunity of playing league and enhancing their draft credentials.

If none of this is viable leave well enough alone. Bit of a ramble and I apologise for that!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16's scratch match at Basso on Wednesday 3 years 4 months ago #86552

  • swan42
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6550
  • Thank you received: 796

Grump wrote: My thoughts about the colts system in WA are many and varied. Seems one day I think of a different issue and then the next another.

What I would put in is that during the 18's the rest of the colts players or the 80 or 90 next best players are selected to play in combined sides. East, West etc, Subi and WP, Sf/Ef and perhaps Peel, Claremont and Perth, and Swans and EP.

That would give these boys a chance to be coached by some other coaches and perhaps different ideas thus broadening their exposure. or perhaps a pure 17's carnival for those not in Colts but in-between, this may present and issue as it seems this is the age group that suffers from numbers.

I just want to give the boys a chance to learn and develop so that have the best chance of progressing.

I don't want a separate colts system like the VFl although apparently this is a big suggestion, it deprives the clubs of a natural process and it also deprives those boys good enough the opportunity of playing league and enhancing their draft credentials.

If none of this is viable leave well enough alone. Bit of a ramble and I apologise for that!


Thnaks for your thoughts Grump and no need to apologise. You, like most on this site, want the WAFL to remain as a viable competition with its history and tradition as complete as possible. Only those that have no interest or commitment to the WAFL, and that may well include the WAFC in toto, would think that by having a separate competition would be more beneficial than for those colts' teams to be a part of the WAFL clubs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Grump
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Tweets by @Ozfootynet
promotional tote bags