Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38242

• Clear-View
  • Clear-View's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Not sure what the WAFL were thinking when putting a SF home game up against an AFL game involving Fremantle. Poor form for mine. Rang a SF mate about going to the game but he was more interested in watching Freo on TV.

Well done to Shagga and Payne who are both playing their 50th game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38243

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 129
Don't ring him about a footy match again
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38247

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Clear-View wrote: Not sure what the WAFL were thinking when putting a SF home game up against an AFL game involving Fremantle. Poor form for mine. Rang a SF mate about going to the game but he was more interested in watching Freo on TV.

Why would he want to go and watch a farcical miss match between a WAFL clubs and an AFL ressies outfit, tonite highlights again what a non event this season will become. Very Very sad for a comp that was flying two years ago
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38249

• Clear-View
  • Clear-View's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11

Swandog wrote:

Clear-View wrote: Not sure what the WAFL were thinking when putting a SF home game up against an AFL game involving Fremantle. Poor form for mine. Rang a SF mate about going to the game but he was more interested in watching Freo on TV.

Why would he want to go and watch a farcical miss match between a WAFL clubs and an AFL ressies outfit, tonite highlights again what a non event this season will become. Very Very sad for a comp that was flying two years ago

You'd be we'll placed to answer your own question there Swandog considering you went to the extra effort of going to an East Perth home game last week.

I'm sure he wasn't the only SF supporter that didn't go due to the clash with the Freo game. Poor planning from a fixture perspective. Probably cost Souths thousands in lost revenue.

Comp flying two years ago...... Really?

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38250

• La Hincha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well flying maybe a bit extreme but compared to the dismal days of 1997-2003 when WAFL attendances hit rock bottom, the years between 2004 and 2012 were very good. In fact, it was a remarkable recovery.

All the attendance figures are listed on the WAFL website. It makes for some interesting reading.

One of the reasons why we have gone back a bit in the last two years is the entry of two new teams into the AFL which has meant that the TV coverage is now wall-to-wall.

There are very few hours or even minutes when a WAFL game is in progress and an AFL game isn't on the TV simultaneously nowadays.

We might have to think about Monday night or Thursday night football as a showcase stand alone timeslot for the WAFL. It would need to be marketed properly though with a separate TV deal with a 7mate or similar channel.

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38256

• jardine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
EP with 12 Eagles players, the result not a surprise. I fail to understand those who get genuine satisfaction. I see no positives here .

I agree LaHincha the WAFL was getting to a very prominent level again, especially in regard to standard of play. Its not going to go anywhere now. Interesting to know the SANFL played their opening game on Thursday night. The game was televised on 7Mate and rated higher than Channel 10 in the same timeslot.

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38262

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161
Agree swan dog you have it in one, the west summed it up,,, the comps a joke, I went along to make up my own mind, and that sealed the deal,,,I won't be going along while the current arrangement is in place , the comp is a farce.

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38274

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
And adding my worthless 20c of comment. [quote-Clear-View. Comp flying two years ago...... Really?end quote]

It was in a healthy way because many people were drifting back to the Wafl as attendance figures were on the increase. I know the late 90's - early 2000's time period was a struggle.

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38300

• Barney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
WAFL crowds and tv ratings peaked in 2008-09 and has been dwindling since. 2012 had a huge drop with another small drop last year.

The coverage and promotion from SANFL clubs in recent weeks has put the WAFL clubs to shame. North Adelaides promotion of their first game which was the first game of the Adelaide reserves was brilliant. Meanwhile Souths did nothing this week, not a single thing to promote the Friday night game to WCE fans.

We'll see what the channel 7 coverage does promoting the league next year.

Friday night football 9 years 11 months ago #38313

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161
Barney is spot on 2009 was one out of the box, from then on it was all downhill. This year will flatline but after EP win gone gf, next year will be a ghost town , I don't think late 90s. Were too bad we still got some 30 000 plus gf crowds,,,we have not got close to that of late, I reckon we could be looking at 10,000 gf crowds in future.

• Page:
Moderators: royallucky

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 545 guests and 3 members online

• screemar
  • one time only

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr