Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 3 months ago #4347

• La Hincha
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That does look like a nice ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 1 month ago #9410

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
It would appear the Wafl's finished at the completion of this season. but i'm also passionate about it. I used to enjoy going out to Perth Oval. Fremantle Oval with the rickety old grandstand is good to sit in. There would be heaps of history there. Would not be many old wooden grandstands left now? Not sure of Bassendean Oval as never been there. I hear on the reliable telegraph Claremont Oval is a real mess at the moment on the northern side whereby it looks like a construction site. Which is not a recipe to draw the most attendance.
I truly believe the Wafl could be something better than what it currently is. Playing Wafl matches in the rural areas was a great idea. More promotional aspects would have been great!I cannot believe a local commercial radio station will be broadcasting and relaying (via Triple M) live football out of Melbourne. Yet when someone rings said radio station to try and find out wafl updated scores, they wonder what the bloody hell you mean!? They can relay and broadcast sport from the other side of the country, yet they don't know what's happening down the road!? I think someones havin' a bloody laugh somewhere!!

La Hincha wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote:

La Hincha wrote:

MikeXU1 wrote: It would be quite easy to set up a section on here with details about each club, contact details, short history, and facilities. We could also link Ron's articles on players from these pages.

Mike.

I think it's probably just me that likes the old historic stands, the new developments and the classic turnstyles and gates. I even like the sound of the turnstyle clicking over.....it reminds me of footy...I think I might be slightly eccentric though :blink:

But I know one thing for sure....an awful venue for spectators won't get many spectators most weeks.

Nah LH you're not the only one who thinks like that mate, im not sure of your age but im still in my mid 30's & i came to love WAFL footy when it was at its peak in the late 70's & early 80's ..I still get excited everytime i get out of the car & walk up to the gates at Basso, hearing the sounds of the umpires whistle blowing, the sounds of the turnstyles clicking, the sounds of the roar of the crowd echoing through the historic stands as a player takes a great mark or kicks a team lifting goal ..I actually feel sorry for those so called footy "supporters" (more like theatre goers) who have come to football during the WCE & Freo era as they have missed what football is truly about at your local clubs with that tribal feel about it rather than the slick, sanitised version you get these days from the AFL games!!

Yeah mate. Cheers for that. Yeah, I'm in my 40's.

I know the WAFL can't be what it was but I'm sure it can still be something really good.

We just need a bit more financial assistance/compensation from the WAFC, much more promotion from the clubs themselves, the WAFC and the media and maybe a few more of the X-Factor kids making it at WAFL level when not drafted. A few excitement machines to get people through the turnstyles. I know Swans have them this year. South do too. Subi escaped the draft and have them also.

I know the fight's not over yet. We've just got to find a way to get a few more along to the games.

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 1 month ago #9413

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
Westaussieguy you seriously need to come down & watch a match from the home of football in WA- Bassendean Oval & take in the game from either of the 2 greatest wooden grandstands in the country- Billy Walker Stand or the McDonald Stand!

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 1 month ago #9415

• Demons Forever
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Fair go BH !! Nice little country oval.

Lathlain - centre of the football universe.
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.
Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY THING !!!!!!
I shot the fukin sherriff!!!!

Last edit: by Demons Forever.

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 1 month ago #9490

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Beasley Hutton wrote: Westaussieguy you seriously need to come down & watch a match from the home of football in WA- Bassendean Oval & take in the game from either of the 2 greatest wooden grandstands in the country- Billy Walker Stand or the McDonald Stand!

Cant believe Westaussieguy has never been to the home of Footy! And one of the rare grounds in Australia that still has a picket fence around it

www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=205
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 1 month ago #9529

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
That's one of the drawbacks of not living in the metro area I guess. Will need to pick one Saturday and go have a look. And yes the old picket fence certainly has been there a long time.

Swandog wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: Westaussieguy you seriously need to come down & watch a match from the home of football in WA- Bassendean Oval & take in the game from either of the 2 greatest wooden grandstands in the country- Billy Walker Stand or the McDonald Stand!

Cant believe Westaussieguy has never been to the home of Footy! And one of the rare grounds in Australia that still has a picket fence around it

www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=205

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 1 month ago #9659

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
For those who had the privilege of experiencing the Macca Stand in the halcyon days of the WAFL it was a very enjoyable experience. We may not reach those heights but there have been times when we have got close.

La/H thanks for your comments about Basso Swans have certainly tried to get more supporters through the gates. The games are so much better when there are more people from both teams to provide the atmosphere. Hopefully, a lot of people who are passionate about the WAFL will come along and support the 7 WAFL clubs.

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 4 weeks ago #10173

• Above and Beyond
  • Thank you received: 0
Maybe John Townsend can do a story on the Claremont Oval development and then one on the Bassendean Oval heritage. Great topic I think for a report.

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 2 weeks ago #11100

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 133
So where are they playing next year during the redevelopment>
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

Claremont Oval Redevelopment 11 years 2 weeks ago #11110

• MikeXU1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Swan Districts FC
  • Thank you received: 0

Time For a Flag wrote: So where are they playing next year during the redevelopment>

I would imagine probably Bassendean, Lathlain, Moss Street or Fremantle oval as these grounds only have one tenant each, and are already setup for WAFL. Basso held West Perth's home game before a Swans home game a few seasons ago, which I believe was sucessful.

This is my guess...

Mike.

Moderators: Tiger of old

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 396 guests and one member online

• KickTheBall

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL