Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13740

• Mr AFL
  • Mr AFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
Good article written by John Townsend who confirmed what most have been saying could happen at the end of the year.

Some interesting quotes that came out of the article were:

"The West Australian is aware of two players, both of whom have played State football, who are preparing to walk out of their clubs over concerns at reduced opportunities and the operations of the partnership model."

"A handful of Royals with more than 600 games experience are also understood to be considering their options for next year."

If that last quote is true then to loose 600 games experience is massive for any team at any level.

If I was to have a look at players from East Perth or Peel to target then I would look at the following:

Josh Smith, 10 point

Smith is an imposing power forward that is still only 27 years old. Standing at roughly 195cm and 102 kg he provides a magnificent target for any team inside the forward line. Easily capable of kicking 50 plus goals a year and if you have some good crumbing forwards they would love to have a player like him up there.

Aaron Sweet, 7 points

Aaron Sweet can find the football, is still only 24, has played 83 games and should be coming into the best part of his career.

Freddie Clutterbuck, 7 points

Like Sweet can find the footy. Is only 23 and will not be the superstar of any team. I mean no disrespect when I say that but IMO Clutterbuck is more like your 3rd or 4th midfielder. He's one that can still get 20-25 possessions while playing somewhat of a support role.

Jacob Derickx, 5 points

Jacob is a big bodied backman. Still only 22 and has played all games so far this season. Has only played 30 games in total but should have played around 40 by the end of the season and could be a cheaper option for anyone looking at a tall key back who has had experience in the WAFL.

Kyle Anderson, 5 points

Like Derickx, Kyle is a tall key back. At 191cm and only 85kg he may be a little light but has still played 32 games of WAFL and is 23. 30 of those games has come in the last two seasons.

Brad Holmes, 7 points

Brad is a small to medium size forward at 185cm and 90kg. Has kicked 88 goals in the last two seasons. 52 of those came in 2012. Is only 25 years old with 73 games under his belt. You would have to think that he has his best football in front of him and that in a team with better players around him he may be even more damaging up forward.

Kristin Thornton, 10 points

Like the other midfielders can find the football. Had a bit of a down year last year but in 2011 averaged 21.2 possessions a game, kicked 31 goals and won the best and fairest. Last season he averaged 15.6 a game and still kicked 24. Like Holmes with more support around him we could see him get back to his 2011 form and be a very productive player for another club. Still only 25 years old as well.

Ash Thornton, 10 points

Ash has been around a while and some people like him and others don't. He's no superstar but does offer someone who can go either forward or back. Has played 103 games of football at two clubs (54 Peel, 49 Perth). Only 27 years of age.

For anyone interested in reading the full article, here is the link:

au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl...expect-player-drain/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mr AFL.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13743

• 30plusyeardrought
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 102
For mine that article is just stating the obvious.
I have been saying for months that Perth should have Josh Smith as there number 1 recruiting priority for next season.
The loss of McInness and Tunbridge from Perth to EP and the fact they are both forwards puts pressure on Smith staying!
There would be quite a few other players from both EP and Peel weighing up there options for next season.
Dont reckon money will be an issue for us as we'd have a bucket load spare from Leon Davis leaving.

Last edit: by 30plusyeardrought.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13752

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

anchorman wrote: Reading that article I would say that what I have said would happen will happen.Some will leave to go to other clubs.It was again the bleeding obvious.
But what should be more worrying is the thought that many players may leave to go to the VFL or the SANFL.That is a much more worrying scenario than them leaving Peel and East Perth for other local clubs.

The clubs will have more cash and a higher salary cap next year so hopefully that keeps them in WA, but as you say it is defo a possibility we will lose players to VFL

Last edit: by Bazza.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13754

• Demons Forever
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Not sure where all those buckets of money come from 30+.

Still got to pay the team this year.

And Chance is doing much more work than Leon did.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.
Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY THING !!!!!!
I shot the fukin sherriff!!!!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13759

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
recruiting Josh Smith or Paul Johnson would mean you need to find them a decent job as their current boss Bronte might not be too happy

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13761

• 30plusyeardrought
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 102

Demons Forever wrote: Not sure where all those buckets of money come from 30+.

Still got to pay the team this year.

And Chance is doing much more work than Leon did.

I dont reckon we would have anyone that would come close to what Leon was on,also dont forget Ross Young and KT would have been on big dough...there no longer there.
Dont worry there would be some cash there to pick up a Smith!
The pay packet of the player losses are much bigger than the pay packets of the player ins!IMO of course.

Last edit: by 30plusyeardrought.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13762

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
all about the job you can get them..
reckon they are getting well paid to "sell" cars at the moment..

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13772

• Mr AFL
  • Mr AFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
Paul Johnson is the one that sells cars from what I heard and Josh Smith is working as a CUB rep one of the EP supporters was telling me.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13777

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

anchorman wrote: Reading that article I would say that what I have said would happen will happen.Some will leave to go to other clubs.It was again the bleeding obvious.
But what should be more worrying is the thought that many players may leave to go to the VFL or the SANFL.That is a much more worrying scenario than them leaving Peel and East Perth for other local clubs.

Not surprising that you know nothing outside of the AFL but the WAFL salary cap is actually a lot higher than the VFL's!! :blush:
Stick to the AwFL buddy!! B)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/16 10 years 11 months ago #13795

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 133
To fix the problem is this simple.

Let Freo take full control of Mandurah.
Mandurah must have a smaller zone and squad though. Three less junior teams and one less senior team in their zone and 12 less players in their squad.

Let WC form a new club in the northern corridor. Joondalup.
Joondalup must have a smaller zone and squad though. Three less junior teams and one less senior team in their zone and 12 less players in their squad.

Obviously look after West Perth who have put heaps into Joondalup.

Let's not forget the VFL are increasing from 14 to 16 teams next year as the two disgruntled AFL clubs (in the article)are just forming their own reserve teams.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 704 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977