Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158816

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Without bringing into question the worthy winners of the Simpson on grand final day, this thread looks at those whom were unlucky to miss out on the award.

I will start with two:

1985: Clint Browning -- won old easts the game
1973: Keith Watt kicked four of our ten goals, in a game where WP kicked only six for the whole match.

That should kick things off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158822

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Good topic Ark.
I still have the 1982 Wafl GF on Beta Cord video.Recorded originally from the eastern wheatbelt.Live telecast to the country areas ,ABC.
Graeme Melrose won the Simpson Medal.George Grulisitch and Keith Slater could not believe Allan Sidebottom didnt win the Simpson Medal.His tap work was quoted by Keith Slater as (out of this world) He killled Mossy and Harper that day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158823

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
gtr: thanks: always ratted A Sidebottom as you know. I can see where Keith and Gerorge were coming from, because, had Moss and Harper beaten him, the Tigers may well have won back to back flags.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158826

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327

ArkRoyal wrote: gtr: thanks: always ratted A Sidebottom as you know. I can see where Keith and Gerorge were coming from, because, had Moss and Harper beaten him, the Tigers may well have won back to back flags.

From memory Claremont where a marginally better slde than Swans that year.Swans kicked 6 goals in the last 10 minutes of the second qtr.Claremont kicked the last 6 goals of the match and still lost 18-19 too 11-12
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158830

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
Great topic AR.
From the SD point of view as GTR has already posted-

1982- Graham Melrose (Simpson Medal)...Leon Baker & Alan Sidebottom were very unlucky
1983- Brad Shine (Simpson Medal)...Peter Sartori very unlucky (he had a superb Finals series)
1984- Barry Kimberley (Simpson Medal)...Brad Shine & Don Holmes very unlucky
1990- Greg Walker (Simpson Medal)...Phil Narkle very unlucky was BOG imho
2010- Andrew Krakouer (Simpson Medal)...Stevie Coniglio deserves a mention kicking 4 goals as a 16yo

*Clinton 'Camel' Browning made up for his 1985 miss with the 1992 SM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158837

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
Kevin Taylor in EF 79 GF win.....Wayne Cormack was robbed that day for taking that punch from that SF fella Reeves which was intended for Peake.....

Last edit: by Freezin.

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #158839

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

Freezin wrote: Kevin Taylor in EF 79 GF win.....Wayne Cormack was robbed that day for taking that punch from that SF fella Reeves which was intended for Peake.....

Typical Victorian Freeze couldnt read....Budgie played a great game that day too from memory?!
Incredible to think Taylor kicked 102 goals in 1979 (including 7 in the GF) as a Forward Pocket with the occasional stint roving from Budgie and as a virtual rookie as well.
Played some good WAFL footy after that including some great games for WA in the SOO but probably never reached the dizzying heights of 1979 again...but in fairness it was a great season by Squizzy!

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #159093

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543
1988 when Subi beat Claremont by 62 points and Mick Lee won the Simpson when clearly, Laurie Keene was BOG. They wouldn't award it to Keeney on the day as it was controversial he even played in the first place. I don't recall the exact circumstances but he had been playing for the Eagles but somehow managed to qualify for WAFL finals. Perhaps BH or AR have a better recall of how it went down.

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #159094

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543

Freezin wrote: Kevin Taylor in EF 79 GF win.....Wayne Cormack was robbed that day for taking that punch from that SF fella Reeves which was intended for Peake.....

I remember that Freez...Dale Reeves was rubbed out for several weeks for that hit and in 1980, somehow made his way down to CBC for preseason when I was playing for them. The plan was to have him play ammos presumably under an alias until his suspension was up but it all fell to shit when the WAFL found out about it. I've never seen a bloke fit into tighter footy shorts in all my life....he made Warwick Cappers look like Bombay Bloomers. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Success Hill, ArkRoyal

Last edit: by BC.

Unlucky on grand final day 5 years 5 months ago #159107

• 58shark
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553
I was at the 79 GF. When Cormack was hit, my mate and I looked at one another saying "why Cormack"? It then dawned on us that the "hitter" was wearing a red and white jumper - nuff said. I think that the game swayed EF's way after that hit - thanks Dale!! I also think that was when the team just looked for Squizzy so he could get his ton up. Going to pull out the DVD and watch it again.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 326 guests and 2 members online

• pjaye
  • GarlicBreath

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma