• RickyCary69
  • bailzoop
  • Wanneroo Amateur Football Club
  • Royalty
  • WCE1987
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
11 Nov 2018
Memories From Yesteryear..Bob Coleman(Perth)

TOPIC: VALE the WAFL 1885-2018

VALE the WAFL 1885-2018 3 weeks 3 days ago #159038

• Grump
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 130

BC wrote: I agree the colts are a feeder comp which is why the AFL has taken control but don't see how the league and ressies are in the same position. How many draftees get taken out of the WAFL league and ressies each year? A few mature age guys but not many when you think about it. To me, the WAFL is for players who are very good but not quite up to AFL standard for whatever reason and others who have come out of the AFL system.

BC will that change as a result of the mid year draft, my understanding is that they will come from the state leagues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VALE the WAFL 1885-2018 3 weeks 3 days ago #159040

• BC
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 710
Yes that's my understanding too Grump but only if AFL clubs have a spot open or if they move a long term injured player onto the inactive list. I think its also a requirement that players must have nominated for the draft previously or been on an AFL list to be eligible for the mid season draft which does restrict it a bit. The other thing is that players have to nominate..so you'd think local league guys might be a bit reluctant to thrown in jobs, careers, businesses, family, friends and so on with the possibility of being dropped by the AFL club only 6 months later.

Last edit: by BC.

VALE the WAFL 1885-2018 3 weeks 3 days ago #159041

• Grump
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 130

BC wrote: Yes that's my understanding too Grump but only if AFL clubs have a spot open or if they move a long term injured player onto the inactive list. I think its also a requirement that players must have nominated for the draft previously or been on an AFL list to be eligible for the mid season draft which does restrict it a bit. The other thing is that players have to nominate..so you'd think local league guys might be a bit reluctant to thrown in jobs, careers, businesses, family, friends and so on with the possibility of being dropped by the AFL club only 6 months later.

Agreed with most of what you say but for some the option of transferring studies etc could be an option, also the VFL clubs would not want the hassle of a WA player given 3 weeks into it they would want to come home to mommy.

If the WA clubs had a brain they would be identifying 2 or 3 players for each position and saying to them put your hand up for the draft and if the worst eventuates we can pick you up on a short term contract. I am reluctant to suggest it but they could invite one or two down to training to give them a exposure to the level required, the players sees what they need to do and the clubs get to see if the player has the required commitment.

VALE the WAFL 1885-2018 3 weeks 3 days ago #159042

• BC
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 710
Yes...I think you sum it up pretty well from my perspective in that you'd think only the WA clubs would look at injecting WAFL players as it would be just too hard to move someone across to an interstate team with all that goes with it for a few months and hardly any real prospect of getting a game let alone a long term future deal.

VALE the WAFL 1885-2018 3 weeks 3 days ago #159044

• Bazza
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 626

BC wrote: Yes that's my understanding too Grump but only if AFL clubs have a spot open or if they move a long term injured player onto the inactive list. I think its also a requirement that players must have nominated for the draft previously or been on an AFL list to be eligible for the mid season draft which does restrict it a bit. The other thing is that players have to nominate..so you'd think local league guys might be a bit reluctant to thrown in jobs, careers, businesses, family, friends and so on with the possibility of being dropped by the AFL club only 6 months later.

TBH BC , I reckon most players would jump at the chance to have a crack at AFL regardless of what happens , a year out from an ordinary paying job here could well be worth it with the money potentially on offer and chance to have a go.

VALE the WAFL 1885-2018 3 weeks 3 days ago #159045

• Bazza
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 626

Demons Forever wrote: Not sure I get where you're coming from.
The WAFL has plenty of relevance.
It has relevance for WAFL supporters.
Maybe it needs to learn to survive on it's own just like the Amateur competition.

WAFL will survive as long as it has supporters and volunteers that love their Club.

WAFL has absolutely nothing to do with AFL other than currently get some funding via the WAFC.

Its relevance as a premier comp is declining as is the supporter base.

Its future may well end up as a scaled down Amateur comp with friends and families, as the AFL continue to draw players and resources away from it for example a stand alone AFL national reserves comp..

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds
Tweets by @Ozfootynet
promotional tote bags