OzFooty.Net Sign In

Who's Online?

We have 234 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

  • Wanneroo Amateur Football Club
  • Royalty
  • WCE1987
  • royallucky
  • oldcol
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
11 Nov 2018
Memories From Yesteryear..Bob Coleman(Perth)

TOPIC: Periods of dominance in WAFL history

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157972

  • mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4274
  • Thank you received: 857

Bazza wrote:

mikeh wrote: Pardon my self indulgence but a debate on another thread about Subiaco's current dominance of the WAFL competition and the comparison between periods of dominance by other teams through the years sent me back to the record books to check.
Subiaco's run probably started in 2003 when they lost to West Perth in the premiership decider. In the 16 seasons since then they have contested 12 Grand Finals and won 7 of these. You could mount an strong argument that the figure would have been 9 if not for the Peel/Freo alignment.In this time the other flags have been won by WP(2), C(2), SF(2) and Swans as well as the two from Peel. Subiaco missed the finals twice in 16 seasons (2010 and 2013) but didnt really bottom out in either of these years.
Other comparable dominant runs of more than 10 years are Claremont (1987 - 1996) - played in 8 out of 10 grand finals for 5 flags, Perth(1966 -1978} -played in 8 out of 13 Grand finals for 5 flags, South Fremantle (1947 -56) 8 out of 10 Grand finals for 6 flags, East Fremantle (1928 - 1946) 14 out of 19 Grand finals for 9 flags, East Perth (1918 - 1928) 9 out of 11 Grand Finals for 7 flags and East Fremantle (1899 - 1912) who played in all 14 grand finals in these years and were successful 9 times.
Obviously some of the earlier streaks were achieved with less teams in the competition than there are today,but it does show that all dominant teams do eventually fall away in a cyclical pattern. The problem with the current Subiaco juggernaut is that it has only got stronger over the past few years and it is hard to see anybody putting up a realistic challenge to them in the foreseeable future.


You would be better to look at the most dominant Teams since the advent of the Eagles/Dockers.
From 1987 onwards, it would be Claremont and Subiaco. Claremont have fallen away of late, but Subi were around in the late 80s and 90s to present.


Yes interesting point Bazza, fair to say that the WAFL changed forever in 1987 when the Eagles entered the then VFL. In the 32 seasons since these are the records of each team
Subiaco ( 8 premierships from 16 Grand finals and 25 times in the finals)
Claremont (7/14/21)
West Perth next best (4/9/18)
South Fremantle (3/8/19)
East Perth (3/6/17)
East Fremantle (3/6/16)
Swans (2/3/15)
Peel (2/2/3)
Perth (0/0/2)

All teams bar Perth have had their moments but fair to say that the 2 Western Suburbs teams have dominated the competition with nearly half the premierships and grand final appearances since 1987.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157976

  • waflfootyfacts
  • waflfootyfacts's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Weekly Starter
  • Weekly Starter
  • Posts: 703
  • Thank you received: 166
Subiaco and Claremont have both won over 60% of their games since 1987.

My site has a number of periodic tables - (accessed through the Ladders menu)

The link below shows 1987-2018 records

waflfootyfacts.net/ladder/periods.php#20

If anyone wants me to add other periods let me know, only takes a few minutes to add to the page

Cheers

Ric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157978

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7182
  • Thank you received: 626

waflfootyfacts wrote: Subiaco and Claremont have both won over 60% of their games since 1987.

My site has a number of periodic tables - (accessed through the Ladders menu)

The link below shows 1987-2018 records

waflfootyfacts.net/ladder/periods.php#20

If anyone wants me to add other periods let me know, only takes a few minutes to add to the page

Cheers

Ric


Gee amazing work Ric

I find this kind of information fascinating...

Its really been remarkable the dominance of Subi and Claremont of recent decades..

Its also striking just how poorly Perth have performed for an extended period, just shocking, quite surprised by Swans as well, they have never really got going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157979

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7182
  • Thank you received: 626

mikeh wrote:

Bazza wrote:

mikeh wrote: Pardon my self indulgence but a debate on another thread about Subiaco's current dominance of the WAFL competition and the comparison between periods of dominance by other teams through the years sent me back to the record books to check.
Subiaco's run probably started in 2003 when they lost to West Perth in the premiership decider. In the 16 seasons since then they have contested 12 Grand Finals and won 7 of these. You could mount an strong argument that the figure would have been 9 if not for the Peel/Freo alignment.In this time the other flags have been won by WP(2), C(2), SF(2) and Swans as well as the two from Peel. Subiaco missed the finals twice in 16 seasons (2010 and 2013) but didnt really bottom out in either of these years.
Other comparable dominant runs of more than 10 years are Claremont (1987 - 1996) - played in 8 out of 10 grand finals for 5 flags, Perth(1966 -1978} -played in 8 out of 13 Grand finals for 5 flags, South Fremantle (1947 -56) 8 out of 10 Grand finals for 6 flags, East Fremantle (1928 - 1946) 14 out of 19 Grand finals for 9 flags, East Perth (1918 - 1928) 9 out of 11 Grand Finals for 7 flags and East Fremantle (1899 - 1912) who played in all 14 grand finals in these years and were successful 9 times.
Obviously some of the earlier streaks were achieved with less teams in the competition than there are today,but it does show that all dominant teams do eventually fall away in a cyclical pattern. The problem with the current Subiaco juggernaut is that it has only got stronger over the past few years and it is hard to see anybody putting up a realistic challenge to them in the foreseeable future.


You would be better to look at the most dominant Teams since the advent of the Eagles/Dockers.
From 1987 onwards, it would be Claremont and Subiaco. Claremont have fallen away of late, but Subi were around in the late 80s and 90s to present.


Yes interesting point Bazza, fair to say that the WAFL changed forever in 1987 when the Eagles entered the then VFL. In the 32 seasons since these are the records of each team
Subiaco ( 8 premierships from 16 Grand finals and 25 times in the finals)
Claremont (7/14/21)
West Perth next best (4/9/18)
South Fremantle (3/8/19)
East Perth (3/6/17)
East Fremantle (3/6/16)
Swans (2/3/15)
Peel (2/2/3)
Perth (0/0/2)

All teams bar Perth have had their moments but fair to say that the 2 Western Suburbs teams have dominated the competition with nearly half the premierships and grand final appearances since 1987.


Yep as I suspected,,, almost 50% from 2 clubs, like the VFL of old.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157982

  • Freezin
  • Freezin's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5851
  • Thank you received: 419
Interesting to see nearly all clubs in GF going around 45-50% success rate....looks like that 9 from 19 GF success rate for EF par for the course...also interesting to see despite EF shite last 18 years they aren't too far behind the likes of EP, WP and SF who have been right up there over that time period....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157984

  • BC
  • BC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5030
  • Thank you received: 710
Yep...not a whole lot separating Subi and Claremont in that time then as you say Freez, then there's a group all pretty well tied together after that. It also shows 2016 and 17 were a pimple on the arse of the WAFL when looking at what Peel has achieved since their inception 22 years ago and how Perth seriously needs additional help from the WAFC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157985

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7182
  • Thank you received: 626

Freezin wrote: Interesting to see nearly all clubs in GF going around 45-50% success rate....looks like that 9 from 19 GF success rate for EF par for the course...also interesting to see despite EF shite last 18 years they aren't too far behind the likes of EP, WP and SF who have been right up there over that time period....


Unless your Peel its 100%

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157986

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7182
  • Thank you received: 626

BC wrote: Yep...not a whole lot separating Subi and Claremont in that time then as you say Freez, then there's a group all pretty well tied together after that. It also shows 2016 and 17 were a pimple on the arse of the WAFL when looking at what Peel has achieved since their inception 22 years ago and how Perth seriously needs additional help from the WAFC.


Im not sure what help you mean BC , think they get everything all the erest of us get (bar Subi) You can chuck Swans in there will Perth as well, pretty ordinary performance by them tbh.

I keep hearing how Perth are sound financially , well maybe its time they spent some dough from the mysterious Trust they have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157988

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7182
  • Thank you received: 626

Freezin wrote: Interesting to see nearly all clubs in GF going around 45-50% success rate....looks like that 9 from 19 GF success rate for EF par for the course...also interesting to see despite EF shite last 18 years they aren't too far behind the likes of EP, WP and SF who have been right up there over that time period....


Some great info of Footy facts

Since 1987 EF have ended up 50% of games won from all played.

SD have only won 46% and Perth a shocking 32%...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 1 month 1 week ago #157989

  • BC
  • BC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5030
  • Thank you received: 710

Bazza wrote:

BC wrote: Yep...not a whole lot separating Subi and Claremont in that time then as you say Freez, then there's a group all pretty well tied together after that. It also shows 2016 and 17 were a pimple on the arse of the WAFL when looking at what Peel has achieved since their inception 22 years ago and how Perth seriously needs additional help from the WAFC.


Im not sure what help you mean BC , think they get everything all the erest of us get (bar Subi) You can chuck Swans in there will Perth as well, pretty ordinary performance by them tbh.

I keep hearing how Perth are sound financially , well maybe its time they spent some dough from the mysterious Trust they have.


Agree re Perth lashing out and spending a bit Baz. Those numbers since 1987 are shocking and should be enough to get Perth's board to be proactive and do something about it. I'm not sure what impact the Eagles landing at Lathlain will have on Perth's operating costs or whether they'll cause a bit of a lift in revenue through increased patronage of bars etc on Eagles training nights, family days and so on...but if it helps PFC's bottom line then I'd be spending it on quality recruits as the poor suffering supporters must have had enough by now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds
Tweets by @Ozfootynet
promotional tote bags