Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12818

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
I don't want to be too critical of the WAFC because I know several clubs wanted to host ANZAC day games, but I can't help thinking that the WAFL competition has kicked a massive own goal in their fixturing for this weekend. I don't know the attendance figures for today,or whether the Collingwood v Essendon telecast kept some away, but surely there was an obvious opportunity to showcase a few more WAFL games on this Saturday afternoon when neither the Eagles or Dockers will be playing. Instead we have one WAFL game in Mandurah on what is likely to be a beautiful day, with no real encroachment from the AFL. I reckon there should have been at least one more game, if not two on the saturday. They could still do the ANZAC ceremony at all grounds and it would be just as moving on the saturday. I reckon we could have just had the Freo derby today and moved the other two matches to Saturday. My opinion, interested in what everyone else thinks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12821

• Demons Forever
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Mike not sure of the official figure but I reckon close to 3,000 at Lathlain today.

A great result for the club and I reckon our crowds will get better.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.
Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY THING !!!!!!
I shot the fukin sherriff!!!!

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12822

• Cardy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Spot on mate.. Good round today but should of been restricted to 2 games eg Freo Derby and maybe WP Swans? Now we have 1 game on Saturday to fulfill ABC broadcast which is Peel v CLA at Mandurah. Feel sure the ABC will have a large audience as a lot of WAFL Followers will tune in on Saturday to watch the game to get their Footy Fix.

From what I heard on the radio we had around 2600 at Joondalup and more at Freo so that is good. Not sure about the Perth v EP game but sure the Perth supporters would of been out in numbers.

From what Marty Atkins said in his interview on 91.3 (See CEO corner post on this thread) The WAFL clubs have a lot of say in the matter and the clubs that played today elected to play these games. Not the WAFC who determined the fixtures.

I for one as a WAFL supporter would of gone to Lathlain on Saturday to watch that game. Maybe things will change in 2014? Considering the alignment will be in force not sure of the future anyway in regards to WAFL attendances..
Maybe Peel could play EP on the Saturday :) and the rest Anzac day.
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12823

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
OK so a pretty good day attendance wise, so maybe the clubs were right, would still like to see another game on saturday though

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12862

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
Personally speaking, I don't like any games on Anzac Day. However, maybe have the one game after the morning services. Then play the other three on the Saturday. I heard the attendances were good at all the grounds for the matches played thus far, which is one good aspect. But having only one Wafl match being played on Saturday leaves the cupboard a bit bare. Hopefully everyone will mosey on over to Mandurah to watch the Claremont game for another good attendance figure.

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12905

• dogman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
If there was a game in the metro area on sat I would have gone along for sure, butnot down to mandurah.
SFFC - WOOF WOOF

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12910

• Johnno
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

westaussieguy wrote: Personally speaking, I don't like any games on Anzac Day. However, maybe have the one game after the morning services. Then play the other three on the Saturday. I heard the attendances were good at all the grounds for the matches played thus far, which is one good aspect. But having only one Wafl match being played on Saturday leaves the cupboard a bit bare. Hopefully everyone will mosey on over to Mandurah to watch the Claremont game for another good attendance figure.

They got over 6000 to Bassendean about 4 or 5 years ago for a Swans v Perth game on Anzac Day. Pretty sure it was a stand alone game. I'd like to see that fixture every year alternating between Bassendean and Lathlain. EP and WP have their Derbies and EF and SF have their Derbies. I think Perth and SD have a good rivalry as the two Eastern corridor clubs and that should be promoted by the WAFL.

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12912

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I thought I heard or read somewhere that West Perth and Swans were trying ot make this an annual event. Agreed we had some good Anzac Day crowds with our matches against Perth.

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12926

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

swan42 wrote: I thought I heard or read somewhere that West Perth and Swans were trying ot make this an annual event. Agreed we had some good Anzac Day crowds with our matches against Perth.

If this game was at Basso it would have been 5K mate. It should be SD v WP at Basso every ANZAC Day between the two best followed WAFL clubs
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

WAFL fixturing 10 years 11 months ago #12933

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
SD, you know well as I SF v EF games attract the biggest crowds, thus if the derby could only command a crowd of roughly 4000, then one could safely assume a WP/SD game would attract 3000 tops......even at Steel Blue!

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 383 guests and one member online

• Whitey

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977