Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153040

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
I'm pretty sure the goal you're referring to, gtruxone, is the one where Garry Wilson handballed over his head to Mickey Conlan, who gave the late Trevor Barker a fend-off and kicked a goal.

There's some great Conlan goals in the link above, but the sad thing is these days most coaches would drag a bloke like Mick for "not doing the team thing" even if he'd kicked a team-lifting goal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153041

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ooolllrrrry (forgive my misspelling), I read that Thommo intended joining Fitzroy because his father was from Melbourne and was a Roys supporter.
However, former East Perth player (and later Royals president) Jim Haines was at South Melbourne and persuaded Thommo to sign with the Swans.
Thommo certainly gave Old Easts good value in his 3-4 seasons there, particularly during the second half of 1979.
I think Brad Smith was influential in getting him to Moss Street.

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153042

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You're certainly on the money there, BH.
The other dual Royals-Roys were all from 1971 or earlier and not that well known.
There was a bloke called Ralph Rogerson (as opposed to disgraced Sydney detective Roger Rogerson) who came from North Adelaide, had a few seasons at East Perth in the early 1960s and then captained Fitzroy briefly in the mid-60s.
A bit before my time as a footy supporter, however.

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153043

• ooollllrrrrrry2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 207

Archie Duda Goal Machine wrote: Ooolllrrrry (forgive my misspelling), I read that Thommo intended joining Fitzroy because his father was from Melbourne and was a Roys supporter.
However, former East Perth player (and later Royals president) Jim Haines was at South Melbourne and persuaded Thommo to sign with the Swans.
Thommo certainly gave Old Easts good value in his 3-4 seasons there, particularly during the second half of 1979.
I think Brad Smith was influential in getting him to Moss Street.

Yep Brad Smith certainly was, he actually gone to the Sunday League for 1979 and he got him from there. Of course still needed a clearance from East Perth and we went on to kick a few in the GF at full forward.

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153047

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Archie Duda Goal Machine wrote: I'm pretty sure the goal you're referring to, gtruxone, is the one where Garry Wilson handballed over his head to Mickey Conlan, who gave the late Trevor Barker a fend-off and kicked a goal.

There's some great Conlan goals in the link above, but the sad thing is these days most coaches would drag a bloke like Mick for "not doing the team thing" even if he'd kicked a team-lifting goal.

Micky was a champion player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153054

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Also kicked a "few" (7) in the first semi against his old club, a game Old Easts won by 2 points.
I grew up in the bush (Tammin), so didn't see Thommo during most of his East Perth days.
A Royals mate of mine said Thommo was renowned for kicking goals from 50 metres out then missing from the edge of the goal square (in the same game).

Best Coaches from Across Our Land 5 years 8 months ago #153069

• Dempsey
  • Thank you received: 18
Let's not forget the great man Polly Farmer. In 1978 he returned home to Western Australia and accepted the role of captain/coach with the West Perth Football Club, the bitter rivals to his former club, East Perth. He led West Perth to premierships in 1969 and 1971, both times defeating East Perth in the Grand Final. I remember those games well particularly as it was against the much hated (at least from a Cardinals perspective) Malcolm Brown.

We were dead unlucky not to win in 1968 as well only losing two games in the H&A season and the Preliminary Final by 3 points to Perth.

These were great occasions for WAFL footy and for me personally watching the two Premierships on the hill between the two old stands and the interaction between the supporters was great stuff. East Perth had a mighty following them.

Sadly Polly retired from playing football in 1971, aged 36, but he set up a great legacy for us. Unfortunately Subi won the "unwinnable" 1973 Grand Final against the Cardinals after we beat them 4 times prior to the Grand Final, but we made amends and whacked South Freo in 1975!

Last edit: by Dempsey.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 417 guests and 2 members online

• Time For a Flag
  • Jicca

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977