Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150351

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
I have been doing a bit of research on the WAFL footy facts site on consecutive wins in qualifying rounds. Subiacos current winning streak in qualifying rounds is 30 going back to round 2 2017. If the Lions beat Peel next Friday night they will equal the record of the East Fremantle team of 1945 - 47 who won 31 consecutive qualifying round matches. I have left out the finals wins in this as the total EF streak was 35 with the 1945 and 46 premierships included. However the current Subiaco team will break this 70 year old record in qualifying rounds if they win just 2 more games

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150353

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 355
Yes indeed mikeh. One would think the record has a good chance to be broken. Subiaco will be winning this week due to their efficiency. The week after is the match against South Fremantle which is a Lions Home game. That's the match of the day.
Subiaco however have kicked some high scores and doesn't look like ending yet.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150354

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543
more meaningless diatribe against Subi as it counts for nothing if you don't win the flag which we've failed to do the last 2 years for reasons which have been done to death on here.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150355

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

BC wrote: more meaningless diatribe against Subi as it counts for nothing if you don't win the flag which we've failed to do the last 2 years for reasons which have been done to death on here.

Gee whiz BC, touchy or what? I am interested in the history of the game and I was presenting this as a significant event in over 100 years of WAFL footy. If you want to interpret it as another crack at your club I suppose thats your prerogative.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150356

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
mikeh you were pretty blunt with RD the other day mate...out of character for you....perhaps you are being stereotyped now as a troublemaker....LOL

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150357

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1350

BC wrote: more meaningless diatribe against Subi as it counts for nothing if you don't win the flag which we've failed to do the last 2 years for reasons which have been done to death on here.

And you know why you didn't win the last two flags. One could be excused for thinking you don't have any wall space left in your club rooms for more flags but no, you were denied by an AFL loaded WAFL team. If you were playing any of the non aligned clubs you would have blown the opposition away.
Get on your bike.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150362

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just to clarify my motivation for starting this thread wasn't to commence another round of Subiaco bashing ( there are plenty of opportunties to do this elsewhere if you want). It was just to recognise what is potentially a significant achievement in the history of a competition stretching back to the 1880s. Yes and I know that unlike the EF team of the 1940s there will be no premierships included in this streak so that probably takes away from it a bit. What I am fascinated with is how teams are able to do this over a long period of time. Swans had a streak of 18 wins stretching from 1979 - 1980 and I used to marvel how they would be able to rock up and get the job done. As the streak got longer the pressure increased because everyone was motivated to try and knock them over but they still managed to raise their game to a level above the opposition. Subiaco must have had a few days during this streak where they were playing very ordinary football but still mananged to find a way to get over the line against a motivated opposition. Of course having elite players is very important to maintaining a streak like this but I think there has to be an element of team spirit/culture and motivation that keeps a group going when the game gets tough.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150363

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161
I posted on here a few months back that Subi would break the EFFC record.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150366

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543

mikeh wrote: Just to clarify my motivation for starting this thread wasn't to commence another round of Subiaco bashing ( there are plenty of opportunties to do this elsewhere if you want). It was just to recognise what is potentially a significant achievement in the history of a competition stretching back to the 1880s. Yes and I know that unlike the EF team of the 1940s there will be no premierships included in this streak so that probably takes away from it a bit. What I am fascinated with is how teams are able to do this over a long period of time. Swans had a streak of 18 wins stretching from 1979 - 1980 and I used to marvel how they would be able to rock up and get the job done. As the streak got longer the pressure increased because everyone was motivated to try and knock them over but they still managed to raise their game to a level above the opposition. Subiaco must have had a few days during this streak where they were playing very ordinary football but still mananged to find a way to get over the line against a motivated opposition. Of course having elite players is very important to maintaining a streak like this but I think there has to be an element of team spirit/culture and motivation that keeps a group going when the game gets tough.

Fair enough Mike...I accept you were just making commentary on the run Subi is currently having but I think I can be forgiven for taking it the wrong way given the amount of crap that gets thrown at us and particularly so these days as I'm about the only Subi regular on here...but I take your point...it is some sort of winning streak but as I said, it doesn't mean a lot if you don't win the flag. 2016 we were beaten by a better side on the day but last year we only had ourselves to blame as I think we kicked 2.8 or similar in the 3rd which cost us dearly.

Subiaco close to breaking all time WAFL record 5 years 8 months ago #150369

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

BC wrote:

mikeh wrote: Just to clarify my motivation for starting this thread wasn't to commence another round of Subiaco bashing ( there are plenty of opportunties to do this elsewhere if you want). It was just to recognise what is potentially a significant achievement in the history of a competition stretching back to the 1880s. Yes and I know that unlike the EF team of the 1940s there will be no premierships included in this streak so that probably takes away from it a bit. What I am fascinated with is how teams are able to do this over a long period of time. Swans had a streak of 18 wins stretching from 1979 - 1980 and I used to marvel how they would be able to rock up and get the job done. As the streak got longer the pressure increased because everyone was motivated to try and knock them over but they still managed to raise their game to a level above the opposition. Subiaco must have had a few days during this streak where they were playing very ordinary football but still mananged to find a way to get over the line against a motivated opposition. Of course having elite players is very important to maintaining a streak like this but I think there has to be an element of team spirit/culture and motivation that keeps a group going when the game gets tough.

Fair enough Mike...I accept you were just making commentary on the run Subi is currently having but I think I can be forgiven for taking it the wrong way given the amount of crap that gets thrown at us and particularly so these days as I'm about the only Subi regular on here...but I take your point...it is some sort of winning streak but as I said, it doesn't mean a lot if you don't win the flag. 2016 we were beaten by a better side on the day but last year we only had ourselves to blame as I think we kicked 2.8 or similar in the 3rd which cost us dearly.

if the streak gets to 39 then Subiaco will have definitely won a flag BC

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 510 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL