Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147502

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

ArkRoyal wrote: they could also merge with South or the Peel alignment club

Long term I think a merger is on the cards for the Freo clubs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147503

• astro
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 45
South don't need the merger. Can't see that ever happening,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mighty Bulldogs

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147510

• TheRock
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 36

Bazza wrote:

astro wrote: EF oval is a disgrace. I would be interested to hear the response from Shark management about there vision and direction. Given Wiley departure is imminent so to maybe the management who oversee the joint

Yep, it is by far the wost venue, its bad for the whole comp that ABC radio now refuse to broadcast from there due to terrible conditions.

As you say there doesn't seem to be any management direction, hasn't been for a while, they have been on life support now for decades with draft fees and wafc funding getting them through, the council have abandoned the ground to fall apart.

Which true WAFL clubs (barring Subi) would survive without the WAFC funding?

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147511

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386
If they had a rally I would tip in $100 and I know most WAFL fans would.
Its a disgrace it has come to this whether its East Frem, Swans, Perth South Freo whoever folding up. Time to think outside the box like double headers, night games at the WACA, take games to the people eg play a derby at Gosnells oval easily the best ground outside the WAFL and better than Shark Park. Will get more there than a derby at Freo or EF does these days. Have to try something as we are all on life support bar $ubi who can play amongst themselves
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147513

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Swandog wrote: If they had a rally I would tip in $100 and I know most WAFL fans would.
Its a disgrace it has come to this whether its East Frem, Swans, Perth South Freo whoever folding up. Time to think outside the box like double headers, night games at the WACA, take games to the people eg play a derby at Gosnells oval easily the best ground outside the WAFL and better than Shark Park. Will get more there than a derby at Freo or EF does these days. Have to try something as we are all on life support bar $ubi who can play amongst themselves

SD with the greatest of respect as I know you are a passionate Swans and WAFL supporter but I fail to see how playing night games at, presumably, a very much bigger WACA ground, moving games to Gosnells or double headers will help.

Fundamentally what is wrong with the WAFL at the moment is that there are 3 to 4 tiers of clubs within the WAFL. There is Subiaco; the two aligned clubs; and maybe one or two tiers for the rest. WAFL supporters KNOW that it is virtually impossible for some WAFL clubs to make the finals let alone win a GF under the present circumstances. We have a WAFC ACTIVELY ACTING against the WAFL. Resolve those issues and there will be an improvement in the WAFL. Unless those fundamentals are changed the WAFL is on its last legs.

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147515

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

astro wrote: South don't need the merger. Can't see that ever happening,

While we may appear strongish at the moment, that can soon pass, and our financial situation has deteriorated over the last few years with cash savings declining rapidly, our membership has dropped some 700 in just 10 or so years from 1700 to 1000 currently.

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147518

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

TheRock wrote:

Bazza wrote:

astro wrote: EF oval is a disgrace. I would be interested to hear the response from Shark management about there vision and direction. Given Wiley departure is imminent so to maybe the management who oversee the joint

Yep, it is by far the wost venue, its bad for the whole comp that ABC radio now refuse to broadcast from there due to terrible conditions.

As you say there doesn't seem to be any management direction, hasn't been for a while, they have been on life support now for decades with draft fees and wafc funding getting them through, the council have abandoned the ground to fall apart.

Which true WAFL clubs (barring Subi) would survive without the WAFC funding?

Its not so much not having the WAFC funding its the fact that some have enough extra streams and can structure costs and maintenance on top of that for the extra stuff, EFFC is failing in this area badly.

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147519

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

swan42 wrote:

Swandog wrote: If they had a rally I would tip in $100 and I know most WAFL fans would.

SD with the greatest of respect as I know you are a passionate Swans and WAFL supporter but I fail to see how playing night games at, presumably, a very much bigger WACA ground, moving games to Gosnells or double headers will help.

Fundamentally what is wrong with the WAFL at the moment is that there are 3 to 4 tiers of clubs within the WAFL. There is Subiaco; the two aligned clubs; and maybe one or two tiers for the rest. WAFL supporters KNOW that it is virtually impossible for some WAFL clubs to make the finals let alone win a GF under the present circumstances. We have a WAFC ACTIVELY ACTING against the WAFL. Resolve those issues and there will be an improvement in the WAFL. Unless those fundamentals are changed the WAFL is on its last legs.

Agree with both in some ways.

Its definatly time to try new ideas, and if we don't get moving and smarten up the comp in a huge way its going to be dire. Not sure if a Gosnells idea is the way to go, but use of the WACA has some merit.

Swan42, this problem was becoming evident long before the alignment started, EF have been struggling on and off the field now for two decades, tbh I don't think their management really have come to grips with the modern post Eagles/Dockers landscape - but I agree its been compounded of late, the Subiaco issue/problem has been allowed to run un checked now for decades as well, the damage has been done and its basically to late now to address...with 2.5 Million in the bank they are assured a strong future.

I warned everyone at the time the entry of the dockers would have a disastrous impact on Fremantle WAFL football, and that both clubs would struggle to exists competing locally with them, its now almost certain that one Fremantle club will have to go as a result. You cant suck millions of dollars of sponsorship out of an area, 1000s of supporters and members and media attention and expect to survive.

Last edit: by Bazza.

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147520

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Haven't seen Gosnells of late, but I remember 80s they played some WAFL there, EF Oval is now barely league standard what should happen is the WAFC needs to fast track a ground share deal urgently to Fremantle Oval.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

East Fremantle most likely Club to fold. 5 years 11 months ago #147522

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
I acknowledge the declining club revenues, the supporter base diminishing on the back of the AFL competition, the dominance of some clubs and most notably my own, but the current standard of footy is very strong as evidenced by the fact WA has beaten every other state over the last few years. Is it a national state league problem or just WA?

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 299 guests and 2 members online

• Sand Surfer

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977