Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142250

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

Factor opinion wrote: Who will pay for the ground hire etc for the Perth Stadium to hold the WAFL GF?
Not sure about the economics of holding it there.
More likely that a deal could be done with the WACA that would make more financial sense and would allow atmosphere as well.

There was a report some months back that it has been offered to the WAFL for the GF free of charge for the day.

Also who gives a shit if it is not full for the WAFL GF if this comp wants to hold any semblance of the status of being the premier state competition it just has to be at PS and not some suburban ground otherwise we might as well play in the WAAFL amateurs....i dont see the SAFL or VFL GF's being played at suburban grounds!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142251

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bazza wrote:

Peter North wrote: Are they going to change the playing arena at the WACA as it stands atm its to short from goal to goal line.

yes , that was well canvassed in the weekend press and WACA are already taking steps to plan for it, according to the WACA CEO the adjustment can be made quite easily to get back to size. I was surprised to learn all the original seating was simply covered in sand and then turfed, its all still there.

I am not too sure how long the seats have been buried but one would have to imagine that they have degraded in the interim. Also, exactly how old are the Prendiville and Inverarity stands?

I will also pose the question what are the advantages to the WAFL clubs having a home game at the WACA?

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142304

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161
Since about 2002, the point is the concrete footings are there - new PVC chairs fitted no big deal.

Prediville is 1985, Invers ( old Test Stand) 1970.

How old are the Stands at Basso?..lol

There would clearly have to be a financial incentive to the WAFL clubs to move the games there..I for one would much rather watch say SF v WP play there rather than travel to Joondy.

Last edit: by Bazza.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142305

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Night WAFL matches could move to the WACA Ground as early as this season with the cricket body confirming plans to extend the ground and football setting the terms for a shift.

The WACA estimates it would cost about $1 million to excavate the grass banks installed at either end in 2002 as part of the last ground redevelopment.

But WACA chief executive Christina Matthews said the prospect of football returning to the ground was growing, particularly with Channel 7 eager to broadcast night matches.

“It would cost around $1 million but it would be an absolute boon for the WA Football Commission to be able to hold WAFL games at a venue that has top quality broadcast facilities,” Matthews said.

“It is more likely to happen next season but we could look at the end of this season.”

The WACA has $12 million in the bank but would look for other funding options to allow football to return to the ground as the first step in a new era without international cricket.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142324

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bazza wrote: Night WAFL matches could move to the WACA Ground as early as this season with the cricket body confirming plans to extend the ground and football setting the terms for a shift.

The WACA estimates it would cost about $1 million to excavate the grass banks installed at either end in 2002 as part of the last ground redevelopment.

But WACA chief executive Christina Matthews said the prospect of football returning to the ground was growing, particularly with Channel 7 eager to broadcast night matches.

“It would cost around $1 million but it would be an absolute boon for the WA Football Commission to be able to hold WAFL games at a venue that has top quality broadcast facilities,” Matthews said.

“It is more likely to happen next season but we could look at the end of this season.”

The WACA has $12 million in the bank but would look for other funding options to allow football to return to the ground as the first step in a new era without international cricket.

Let's start with first principles:

(i) why should a WAFL club alienate its supporter base by losing YET ANOTHER HOME game? Since the introduction of Peel we have gone from 11 or 10 home games per year; down to 10 and NOW down to 9.

(ii) what hit to the clubs' bottom lines will there be when advertisers are told that there would be one fewer home game?

(iii) which entity is driving the push for WAFL night games? Is it the same entity that is CURRENTLY being paid $1,000,000 to broadcast the games? Why are we being DICTATED to by that entity?

(iv) how ludicrous would it be to schedule say a Peel home game against South Fremantle at the WACA at night?

(v) under no circumstances would there be an increase in attendance at night games compared to a day game at the WAFL home ground.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142384

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
(I) you are assuming it would alienate the supporter base and thinking like it is something new, its not I clearly remember games in the pre eagles 80s being played at Subi during the home and away as a neutral venue, I think they had double headers and the first ever Sunday games were held there. I also remember late 80s, East Perth and Perth playing double headers there that pulled good crowds.
(ii) the clubs should not accept any deal at all unless they the have a potential loss underwritten by the WAFC - I have already told you this but you keep repeating it.
(iii) I suspect the media ( in partnership with the WACA who want use out of what is becoming a potential white elephant) is driving it as the venue will give vastly superior broadcast quality for night games and time slots with leads to higher ratings which is what the WAFC wants and needs because if the ratings are higher more sponsorship is obtained which in turns means the broadcast deal is more financially viable which in turn means the WAFC will have to fork out less and sponsors fork out more for the production, this makes perfect fiscal sense.
(iv) no more ludicrous than having to drive down to Mandurah at night to watch Peel at a dumpster park, Oh wait you cant do it, no lights down there. Id go to the WACA a long time I went to Peel Park.
(v) Crystal ball time I guess, but see points (i) its attracted decent crowds in the past, and what ever we are doing now isn't working and hasn't done for years so why not change.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142387

• boothead
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
You guys have to understand sometime that things change, and the wafl will never be like it used to be. Its now become a competition that realistically only three teams can win (Subi, Peel, East Perth) and that the following of the wafl will never be the same again. Eight year old kids arent interested in the Hayden Schloithes, Shane Nelsons & Kyal Horsleys they are interested in the Nat Fyfes & Nic Natanuis. As i fitzroy supporter i moved on and respected football for what it is becoming like all of you guys should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big Blue

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142396

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bazza wrote: (I) you are assuming it would alienate the supporter base and thinking like it is something new, its not I clearly remember games in the pre eagles 80s being played at Subi during the home and away as a neutral venue, I think they had double headers and the first ever Sunday games were held there. I also remember late 80s, East Perth and Perth playing double headers there that pulled good crowds.
(ii) the clubs should not accept any deal at all unless they the have a potential loss underwritten by the WAFC - I have already told you this but you keep repeating it.
(iii) I suspect the media ( in partnership with the WACA who want use out of what is becoming a potential white elephant) is driving it as the venue will give vastly superior broadcast quality for night games and time slots with leads to higher ratings which is what the WAFC wants and needs because if the ratings are higher more sponsorship is obtained which in turns means the broadcast deal is more financially viable which in turn means the WAFC will have to fork out less and sponsors fork out more for the production, this makes perfect fiscal sense.
(iv) no more ludicrous than having to drive down to Mandurah at night to watch Peel at a dumpster park, Oh wait you cant do it, no lights down there. Id go to the WACA a long time I went to Peel Park.
(v) Crystal ball time I guess, but see points (i) its attracted decent crowds in the past, and what ever we are doing now isn't working and hasn't done for years so why not change.

(i) There was a much bigger supporter base per-1987. I will repeat that we have already lost 3 homes games in a two year period. I would contend that fewer supporters would go to a game at the WACA than played at a home game at a WAFL club.

(ii) No disagreement with your call for compensation; what is the likelihood of it happening and how would the amount be calculated if compensation was paid?

(iii) How much will it cost to hold games under lights at the WACA? How many would turn up and what percentage of those would pay? For example, WACA members would not pay to get in. Similarly, kids would not pay. So the amount through the gate would barely cover the cost of gate and security staff. Then we have the cost of the lights. Sounds like the WACA would be charging a fairly high fee to play there.

(iv) You might go to the WACA; how many Peel supporters would go to the WACA for a night game?

(v) Without revisiting all the anti-WAFL decisions made by the WAFC I don't think we should change for change sake and let's not forget the WAFL clubs don't want it; it is the WACA and Channel 7 that want it.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142397

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

boothead wrote: You guys have to understand sometime that things change, and the wafl will never be like it used to be. Its now become a competition that realistically only three teams can win (Subi, Peel, East Perth) and that the following of the wafl will never be the same again. Eight year old kids arent interested in the Hayden Schloithes, Shane Nelsons & Kyal Horsleys they are interested in the Nat Fyfes & Nic Natanuis. As i fitzroy supporter i moved on and respected football for what it is becoming like all of you guys should.

boothead Fitzroy was culled by the AFL and they showed scant respect for Fitzroy when they played their last game. The WAFL would survive if the WAFC cared about the WAFL.

Does this sound reasonable? 6 years 1 month ago #142416

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

boothead wrote: You guys have to understand sometime that things change, and the wafl will never be like it used to be. Its now become a competition that realistically only three teams can win (Subi, Peel, East Perth) and that the following of the wafl will never be the same again. Eight year old kids arent interested in the Hayden Schloithes, Shane Nelsons & Kyal Horsleys they are interested in the Nat Fyfes & Nic Natanuis. As i fitzroy supporter i moved on and respected football for what it is becoming like all of you guys should.

Yep mate, I've realised that a few on here have yet to come to grips with it.

Tbh I think this season will be a very bad one for the wafl, compared to even last couple of years, Im failry confident that neither the WCE of Dockers will make the finals , meaning come WAFL finals time they will dominate the comp snuffing out any interest at all.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 752 guests and 2 members online

• Swedgen
  • KCachard

Newest Footy Recruits

• BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes