Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AFL officially takes over control of WAFC Colts 5 years 5 months ago #160197

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Tiger of old wrote: I think you’re missing the point here BC, the AFL /VFL basically said “we don’t trust WAFL clubs to raise talent, we can do it much better.” And used that as a reason to take draft fees away from us, a crucial income stream for all clubs except yours of course. We all know that was complete bullshit.

Too it was the WAFC that took the draft fees away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AFL officially takes over control of WAFC Colts 5 years 5 months ago #160201

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547

Tiger of old wrote: I think you’re missing the point here BC, the AFL /VFL basically said “we don’t trust WAFL clubs to raise talent, we can do it much better.” And used that as a reason to take draft fees away from us, a crucial income stream for all clubs except yours of course. We all know that was complete bullshit.

I'm not missing anything ToOl...I agree that was the basis of taking colts teams out of the WAFL club's control and I guess time will tell whether it was the right decision or not but think it's too early to be critical at this point. also, the revenue stream may have gone but so has many of the costs associated with putting a colts team on the park....my point is that while the current structure is in place, the fact that young players from WA are not getting drafted isn't necessarily a bad thing for WAFL clubs.

AFL officially takes over control of WAFC Colts 5 years 5 months ago #160203

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109

swan42 wrote:

BC wrote:

Tiger of old wrote: I care BC, I care that the afl took over control of the colts at my club for no good reason. All clubs main target is to win flags, but Colts are an integral part of the fabric of all WAFL clubs. Who cares??

If the current structure gave AFL recruiters the cattle to bleed WAFL clubs dry of young talent the likes of BH and his mate Sean would have a whinge about that too....what would you prefer as a WAFL devotee...to have only a few draft picks taken for your respective club or a lot?

Absolutely obtuse is the most apposite way of describing your post. Let's start at the beginning: neither BH nor myself made the decision to remove the colts competition from the WAFL clubs. It was made by the WAFC.

In 2017 there were 15 drafted from WA including 8 from the first 32.

In 2018 there were 6 drafted from WA and only 3 in the first 32. Going from 15 to 6 and 8 to 3 could hardly be described as anything than a complete and utter failure.

Last year Tasmania had no players drafted, This year number 9 & 58. This year Sth Australia had 2, 3 & 5. Obviously they are doing something good.with 13 drafted to WA's miserly SEVEN.

AFL officially takes over control of WAFC Colts 5 years 5 months ago #160204

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
I reckon this is one of those issues that everyones opinion is right for them and some of the situations.

The AFL reckons they can do more to develop talent than the WAFL clubs and the WAFC obviously agreed ( with some benefits for them).

One of the benefits is they no longer have to fund the so called elite development process out of their coffers as it comes from the AFL. Which should mean that the WAFC have more for the WAFL.

I would suggest that over the years if you compared SA players in the VFL/AFL that they might have more than we have had and I cannot see why that would be so!

One thing abt this years crop of WA players I would suggest that those who deserved to be drafted got the nod with one exception but that is more of a character issue than a football one and as always I hope I am wrong for his sake(never been a fan of the Trizzie Lawrence school of additional football skills)!

It is only the second year and I know at EP there were perhaps 2 or 3 that I thought may have a chance with 5 or 6 looking like being VG WAFL players who might be mature aged players down the track.

Next years 16's look like they may have a few more prospects in there but time will tell if the next process brings them on!

A worry thing for me was the number of VFL players drafted compared to WA where clearly we have the best 2nd tier comp in the country and that is a question I would like answered!
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

AFL officially takes over control of WAFC Colts 5 years 5 months ago #160211

• Unholytugboat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Oakleigh Chargers had 8 drafted. Fine effort.

AFL officially takes over control of WAFC Colts 5 years 5 months ago #160213

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Grump wrote: I reckon this is one of those issues that everyones opinion is right for them and some of the situations.

The AFL reckons they can do more to develop talent than the WAFL clubs and the WAFC obviously agreed ( with some benefits for them).

One of the benefits is they no longer have to fund the so called elite development process out of their coffers as it comes from the AFL. Which should mean that the WAFC have more for the WAFL.

I would suggest that over the years if you compared SA players in the VFL/AFL that they might have more than we have had and I cannot see why that would be so!

One thing abt this years crop of WA players I would suggest that those who deserved to be drafted got the nod with one exception but that is more of a character issue than a football one and as always I hope I am wrong for his sake(never been a fan of the Trizzie Lawrence school of additional football skills)!

It is only the second year and I know at EP there were perhaps 2 or 3 that I thought may have a chance with 5 or 6 looking like being VG WAFL players who might be mature aged players down the track.

Next years 16's look like they may have a few more prospects in there but time will tell if the next process brings them on!

A worry thing for me was the number of VFL players drafted compared to WA where clearly we have the best 2nd tier comp in the country and that is a question I would like answered!

Only the WAFC aren't aware that these things are cyclical in nature but they made the decision and by their metrics 2018 was an unequivocal failure.

With respect to your comment about mature aged players; I think a consequence of the WAFC taking control is that there will be an even greater drop-out of players.

Last edit: by swan42.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 761 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977