Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Playing coaches 6 years 5 months ago #137687

• 58shark
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553
With freeze talking about Josh Kennedy or Harry Taylor as a good pick as coach, I wondered, do you think that we will ever see another playing coach? Brad Smith and Ron Alexander made a pretty good fist of it.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Playing coaches 6 years 5 months ago #137688

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

58shark wrote: With freeze talking about Josh Kennedy or Harry Taylor as a good pick as coach, I wondered, do you think that we will ever see another playing coach? Brad Smith and Ron Alexander made a pretty good fist of it.

I don't remember Brad Smith playing too many games for Old Easts 58 but certainly Big Ron played a few as did Graham Moss CL, Barry Cable EP & Gerard Neesham CL in that era.
Unfortunately the days of the Playing Captain/Coach seem to be over but with a decent off field coach a la Murray Ward looking after match ups etc I don't know why it wouldn't be possible for an experienced player leading by example on the field.

Playing coaches 6 years 5 months ago #137747

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
I think it could be done these days, rememverring all of the bloody assistant coaches they have got. It is a useful strategy if the playing coach is a good footballer, as a club gains on and off the field. I think someone, such as, Horseley could do the job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Playing coaches 6 years 5 months ago #137756

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

ArkRoyal wrote: I think it could be done these days, rememverring all of the bloody assistant coaches they have got. It is a useful strategy if the playing coach is a good footballer, as a club gains on and off the field. I think someone, such as, Horseley could do the job.

Dead right AR. Ryan Crowley is another who could Captain/Coach in my opinion.

Playing coaches 6 years 5 months ago #137769

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bh: thanks, Mr Crowley is is certainly one whom could do the job

Playing coaches 6 years 5 months ago #137810

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Anch: too many people areinvolved in football full stop. If you can accpet that, you can see why it would be possible to have a cptain coach. The last one to do it in Victoria was Malcolm Blight which ended in failure for a couple of reasons: he was young; and he was coaching players whom were more experoenced than himself.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 407 guests and one member online

• Whinnen

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977