Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131912

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have been having a discussion with a work colleague who was the better player: Billy Walker or Gary Ablett jr.

I said I would pose the question on here. All views welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131922

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
Only saw Billy in his late years 42.....my dad said Billy was special, him and Cable....Ablett jnr obviously is a champ....able to burst tackles, run all day, kick goals....and ever so clean and consistent every game....Pretty sure Billy would of been just as good in todays faster paced footy...pity he didnt have a season or two over east like what Cable did......

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131923

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
I was only a baby when Billy hung up the boots but I will say that Gary Ablett Jnr isnt even the best player I have seen in his own family!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog, ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131927

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Swan 42: I too can't really comment on Walker; but what I can say from reading is that he would be in WA's top ten players, possibly as a high as four. Ablett jr., is a good footballer, but is not clearly better than many mid field players.

If I had to pick a best player, his father would be it. The great shame is that he would not be able to play the game as well as he did today because of coaches and rule changes. Think about one of those goals he got in the grand final in 1989, as third man up in the ruck dual. He wou be banned from kicking such a goal today -- people whom say the game has got better in my life-time, it just is not true.

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131928

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Interesting Ablett Jnr for the 3rd time in 5 possible matches .After given the all clear by the Gold Coast medical staff has declared him self unfit to play.Brad Hardie believes he's trying to get sacked by the Gold Coast Train wreck.Brian Cooke has already said as good as it would be to have Gary back at the Cats.it won't happen.
Given Bill Walkers longevity in the game.The passion he played
with for his jumper. And even the passion he has for the club today.Dont think he hit the scoreboard as much as Gary jnr.But played in an era of hard nut physical footballers.Did Bill retire in 1976 and was still a good player even when his body had given up.
A tie between Bill and Gary jnr with Cable just ahead of both imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by gtrxuone.

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131929

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

gtrxuone wrote: Interesting Ablett Jnr for the 3rd time in 5 possible matches .After given the all clear by the Gold Coast medical staff has declared him self unfit to play.Brad Hardie believes he's trying to get sacked by the Gold Coast Train wreck.Brian Cooke has already said as good as it would be to have Gary back at the Cats.it won't happen.
Given Bill Walkers longevity in the game.The passion he played
with for his jumper. And even the passion he has for the club today.Dont think he hit the scoreboard as much as Gary jnr.But played in an era of hard nut physical footballers.Did Bill retire in 1976 and was still a good player even when his body had given up.
A tie between Bill and Gary jnr with Cable just ahead of both imo.

Gtr

G Ablett jr: 302 games 386 goals (from Gold Coast FC site)

W Walker: 305 games 462 goals (WAFL footy facts)

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131931

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Thanks Swan.Billy has to be ahead of Gary jnr on that stat.

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131936

• Larry Bird
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Having watched both its unfair to compare players from 50 years apart. Gary Ablett Jr in his prime was as good as anyone I have seen in the middle. Unstoppable basically but I would prefer to watch his dad for his pure physical impact.

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131937

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
We're not comparing apples to apples here when one is currently playing on the national stage and the other was a star at state level many years ago. How you'd bring them into a theoretical match up where we're judging them evenly I'd have no idea. Clearly Ablett winning the F&B of a national competition puts him ahead of the majority of his peers and I would think the game has gone up a few notches in terms of strength, conditioning, aerobic capacity, athleticism but probably gone backwards in terms hand and foot skills from Billy's day. Both great champions of the game but don't think you can compare.

The better player: Bill Walker or Gary Ablett Jr? 6 years 7 months ago #131942

• 58shark
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553
As someone has said, very hard to compare today's players from one of 50 years ago. I think Walker was probably a lot stronger and a better user of the ball in the heavy packs, but I think that Ablett is a lot more skilled and dextrous. I always thought that Walker could bull himself out of trouble, but Ablett could dance out of it. All very indicative of football in the 1960's compared to today. Whatever, Walker would have revelled playing in Vic and would have gained a lot more national respect - would have sat on the same stage as the great Polly.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 367 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020