Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130018

• Big Al
  • Big Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
The dimensions of the MCG are 171m x 146m, which is approximately 25,000sqm.

If the oval was square and not oval, it is probably be about 20% less or around 20,000 sqm.

There are far Too many stoppages in today’s game which results in continual congestion and restriction of ball movement in virtually every game.

Unless we reduce the number of players around the ball, our game as a highlight will continue to diminish.
Remember the name of our game is Football & not Handball and players dancing around in circles handballing to each other, gaining meaningless stats whilst enforcing countless stoppages has to end.

Zones are the obvious answer to the issue.

At the moment we have at the centre point of the square One (1) 50m x 50m square equal to 2,500sqm.

The logical answer is as follows:
(1) Introduce a zone equal to approximately half the existing playing area
(2) Make the dimensions of the zone 100m x 100m square which is equal to 10,000sqm.
(3) Break the large zone of 10,000sqm into sixteen (16) smaller squares of 625sqm each. The dimensions of the smaller squares would be 25m x 25m.
(4) Change the rules so that for each stoppage you are only allowed four players inside each 25 m sq.
(5) Instruct the boundary umpires to enforce the rules by standing at each point of the smaller square as they do for centre bounce downs.

This will stop the constant stoppages, open up play, result in many more key one on one encounters and hopefully enhance the role of the Full Forwards which are a highlight that has almost been lost in today’s game and maybe, we might actually start kicking the ball again!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Big Al.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130019

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
how about ensuring 3 forwards have to be in the forward 50 at all times......that takes 12 players out of the equation immeadiately......bring back some true one on one footy contests which increases the amount of goals getting kicked by both teams like the good old days.....some of those score lines were incredible and goal kickers kicking regular 80 plus goals are year.....even guys like Ralph, Beasley etc wouldn't kick century tally's in todays game.....

Last edit: by Freezin.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130026

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
make it 18 players per team with only 15 on the ground at any one time. something like rugby 7's but obviously not quite as drastic as that. less congestion, more open space, more run and carry....just a thought.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130032

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
How about these suggestions:

The umpires pay the first free kick
The umpires throw the ball up earlier
The umpires stop preening themselves before they throw the ball up[/li]

Last edit: by swan42.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130035

• Tiger Tales
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 135
Nailed it Swan42.

Couldn't think of anything worse than turning out great games playing field into a giant checker board. It would just add another rule that the umpires would need to be worried about and the resulting free kicks would cause more issues than you'd solve.

Keep the rules simple and the interpretations simpler is the answer.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130055

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
I've often wondered what the impact would be if a mark was not paid for a backman kicking backwards in his defensive 50 ie play on.

Also like Freezin's idea of 6 men inside the 50 at all times.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130061

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374
My 2 cents worth...get rid of game day coaching from the bench. No player would choose to play the game the way it is currently being played. Might also lead to more footballers with football smarts being employed up against the athlete. Just imagine the game with out dull coaches, would be a spectators dream
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130063

• Hawk Eye
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Dear Leader
  • Thank you received: 24
I think it is a good idea Al except rather than have a grid-iron type set up with lines everywhere, I would simply have a protected radius of 10m around every stoppage and keep it to two ruckman and two receivers!

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130064

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Dirty Weekender wrote: My 2 cents worth...get rid of game day coaching from the bench. No player would choose to play the game the way it is currently being played. Might also lead to more footballers with football smarts being employed up against the athlete. Just imagine the game with out dull coaches, would be a spectators dream

How about this suggestion DW? Resting the ruckmen in the pocket rather than taking them off the ground. For example, Freo could rotate Sandilands and Darcy in the forward pocket and have someone like Ballantyne lurking around them for the crumbs.

Time for introducing Zones into Footy!!!!!!! 6 years 8 months ago #130093

• Tiger of old
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 230
Zones would be a disaster, and stupid.
The answer is simple, REDUCE THE INTERCHANGE CAP! It's now 90, take it down to 40. Jeez, I'd reduce it to 20 if I had my way.
And bloody well start paying holding the ball and incorrect disposal. How many times do we just get - no decision - ball up - again.
I heard Cometti talking about it a couple weeks ago, saying remove the prior opportunity bullshit, if you got em you got em!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 736 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977