Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129734

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
The competition is okay:

three teams can win it
there is interest in how many Subi can win
whether EF can avoid the wooden spoon

How many times in the last 35 years have three teams been in the running to win the flag? The answer is not many, the exceptions would be:

1981 -- maybe
maybe the mid 1990s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129737

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ArkRoyal wrote: The competition is okay:

three teams can win it

How many times in the last 35 years have three teams been in the running to win the flag? The answer is not many, the exceptions would be:

1981 -- maybe
maybe the mid 1990s

AR you're probably right for any INDIVIDUAL season. The problem with the current situation is that the same few clubs are the ones MOST LIKELY to win or play off in the GF year in year out. In the period you mentioned East Perth, East Freo, South Freo, Claremont, and Swan (3) won GFs. That is 5 of the 8 teams and Perth won the GF in 1977 & 76 and West Perth in 1975 and Subiaco in 1973. So in the period 1973-1982 all WAFL clubs had won at least one GF.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129741

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
1973-1982 delivered all Wafl clubs a flag.During thoes eras the VFL+Sanfl where dominated by a few clubs.Like the Wafl of today.All empires end however the alignment setup is not like that.
If Swans can beat Subi tommorow that can open up the comp.Dont know if the Eagles are that interested but Freo will load Peel up.For th finals like 16.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129744

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161

ArkRoyal wrote: The competition is okay:

three teams can win it

1981 -- maybe
maybe the mid 1990s

Yeah, its not bad, 3 teams in the running is OK.

And as you say the wooden spoon is still up for grabs, bottom line is we a drawing on a small cohort of WAFL diehards now to support the comp.

Glad to see SF carry the flag for the non cashed up traditional clubs.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129745

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

swan42 wrote:

Bazza wrote: I noticed after I got back from OS that there had been hardly any activity on the site, few posts , its been pretty dead tbh. Normally there is a political debate going at least for a few laughs, even they are non existent.
Can understand a Perth supporter being bored, but its pretty much business as usual for you guys, not much excuse across the board though, its odd.
Was hard not to notice the very old age demographic at the WP v SF game last Saturday reckon the average age of those attending from both clubs was 65. WAFL fans disappearing quick.

Bazza I believe this is a footy forum so I am not sure why you would think there would be political debate on here.

I don't know Swan, probably the same reason there is Cricket, Tennis and Cadbury Halal Chocolate Easter Eggs Threads..all non footy subjects.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129750

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
When zoning was brought into the WAFL in the late 60s every WAFL club won at least 2 or 3 Premierships until the the end of the WCE first season (a period of approximately 18 years) so it was proven to be working beautifully for equality across the competition...and then the WAFC in their infinite "wisdom" started stuffing around with the zones especially after Fremantle & Peel were introduced and now we have the most lop sided era in 132 years of WAFL history!
Well done WAFC yet again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129752

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

gtrxuone wrote: 1973-1982 delivered all Wafl clubs a flag.During thoes eras the VFL+Sanfl where dominated by a few clubs.Like the Wafl of today.All empires end however the alignment setup is not like that.
If Swans can beat Subi tommorow that can open up the comp.Dont know if the Eagles are that interested but Freo will load Peel up.For th finals like 16.

Yep exactly right.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129761

• DD
  • DD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1350

BC wrote: I'm not sure I agree DD given the re-emergence of SD, the obvious quality Souths have to offer, FART the unknown quantity...it all makes for a pretty interesting finals series for mine. I just wish the WAFC would make some concessions to Perth and EF to bring them back into the picture...be it increased salary limit or raising the player points or both.

Perth already have been granted a concession the last two years, I think an extra 12 points and the salary to pay for it but it's going to take something far more serious than one extra 12 point player.

It will be interesting to see what impact the VFL being scrapped next year someone reported will have on the WAFL. Maybe the WAFC can put a ban on Subiaco recruiting anymore players from interstate and give Perth and EF a chance to catch up and compete. That's the type of drastic action required to make a difference. If Subiaco go and raid the VFL and get the best 3 or 4 players out of the VFL then the status quo will continue and it will continue to turn people off from attending WAFL matches.
Get on your bike.

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129765

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On what basis do Perth and EF qualify for special treatment?? Poor onfield performance is the clubs responsibility not everyone else's, they get the same financial deal as SFFC WPFC etc, isn't about how you manage your resources??

We all are doing it tough off the field, ( not including Subi in this).

WAFL SEASON BORING 6 years 7 months ago #129766

• Larry Bird
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 78
DD is it reflection of our competition that we want to hamstring our best team to make the others competitive. Money is the issue in the WAFL just so inequitable due to decades of poor management at club and league level.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 356 guests and 4 members online

• Success Hill
  • Time For a Flag
  • Southerner
  • Johnny Leonard

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes