Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128669

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1350

gtrxuone wrote: Ark once spoke to a Perth player from the 60's.He told me Armstrong though everyone blamed him for the narrow loss in 78.People who know more than me would have to answer that.Did he coach badly on the day,was there some bad selections for that wet day?????

Not bad selections gtr but forced ones and the next best came in. John Quartermaine injured a knee from memory, might have been in the second semi so Neil Fotheringham came in and punched well above his weight against man mountain Paul Arnold who booted about 4 goals.

Murray Couper got two weeks in the second semi for throwing the ball back with a bit extra on it to umpire Capes. A forward named Barry Dowell I think came in for him. Also champion rover Rob Wiley had his right thigh heavily strapped from memory forcing him to use his left boot all day. The footy gods were definitely against us.
Get on your bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DD.

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128671

• gtrxuone
  • gtrxuone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
So Smokey this curse ends next year.Thanks for the run down.
Jjim.East Perth offered Cabes the Captain-Coach.Dont think Perth could match that offer.Would of been good money and must of offered Miller a lucrative offer also.
DD with M Cooper playing you would of won.Didnt know about Rob Wiley injury.Must of been why the Buzz played a blinder to get em over the line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by gtrxuone.

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128682

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Great posts everyone on an interestting topic. I think the Perth supporters are being very fair because the umpirring also went against the club on the day. I seem to re-call a couple of goals the Royals got from free kicks, which were a bit dodgy.

On Ken Armstrong, for some reason, the board took away his position as a coach, but kept him on as a paid employee in another capacity. When Subi poached him, originally, Perth were going to hold on to him, before relentting and letting him go to the Lions. In fairness, to the Perth board, it would have be unlikely that Armstrong could have preventted some sort of slide down the ladder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128689

• smokey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 213

Jjim wrote:

gtrxuone wrote: Smokey what started Perth 40 years curse.The narrow loss in 78.

Was there a mistake in not taking Cable and Miller back into the fold at Perth when they returned from the VFL rather than letting them go to East Perth instead?? I got the feeling at the time that they were confident in the strength of their side that they couldn't fit those two into their plans. Probably one of the worst decisions of all time?

Every Perth supporter hopes the curse wont extend beyond 40 years..wishful thinking????

Cable wanted to coach and Armstrong had just won two flags. I think East Perth had their eyes on him and he got the gig at Lotons. Miller and our head trainer, Ted O'Callaghan went with him as did Mick Ray.
The Perth side that year was awesome. We thrashed the Royals in the second semi and were unbackable odds for the flag.
Wiley carrying a leg, Couper suspended and John Quartermaine also injured and did not play.
So the Gods were not too kind to us that day.

Last edit: by smokey.

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128691

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
What is all this talk ogf the gods cospiring against Perth?.......Pretty sure the son of god had a good game for Perth that day Perth boys...Buzz from memory had a cracker....Perth had plenty of good players to cover Coups and Quartermaine surely?....just the beauty of one off finals footy...anyone can win it as long as you are in it...and EP emphasised that big time....must of been one of the wettest GF in history...

Last edit: by Freezin.

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128692

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

DD wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: What about 1975 as well Grassy Robbie Wiley won Perths F&B that year but Alan Quartermaine somewhat surprisingly won the Sandover that year!! :ohmy:

That was Alan Quartermaine from EP, not John from Perth.

Yep I am fully aware of that DD ;) ....my point was Robbie Wiley could have been considered unlucky to not win the Sandover Medal that year 75 as well as 76, 77, 78, 84 etc as to be fair Alan Quartermaine was a somewhat surprising winner that season and although he was a good player not quite in Wiley's class

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128694

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 836

Freezin wrote: What is all this talk ogf the gods cospiring against Perth?.......Pretty sure the son of god had a good game for Perth that day Perth boys...Buzz from memory had a cracker....Perth had plenty of good players to cover Coups and Quartermaine surely?....just the beauty of one off finals footy...anyone can win it as long as you are in it...and EP emphasised that big time....must of been one of the wettest GF in history...

Yes 78 was the wettest GF I can remember, I was there with all sorts of raincoats and still got drenched. But I was able to see imho the best individual performance in a GF by the Buzz, 8 goals in horrendous conditions, he pulled every trick out of his sizable bag of tricks and almost won it for the D's

1977 6 years 8 months ago #128697

• smokey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 213

Freezin wrote: What is all this talk ogf the gods cospiring against Perth?.......Pretty sure the son of god had a good game for Perth that day Perth boys...Buzz from memory had a cracker....Perth had plenty of good players to cover Coups and Quartermaine surely?....just the beauty of one off finals footy...anyone can win it as long as you are in it...and EP emphasised that big time....must of been one of the wettest GF in history...

I'm not taking anything away from East Perth. They earned their flag. Held off everything Perth threw at them in the last quarter, and yes, Buzz played one of his best games that day.
Perhaps it was time for them to bear Perth in a grand final. Afterall we took 3 flags off them in the sixties and another in 1976.

Last edit: by smokey.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 349 guests and 3 members online

• Demons Forever
  • one time only
  • Ted Nugent

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes