Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20128

• Time For a Flag
  • Time For a Flag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 129
Was at South Fremantle oval yesterday and made these observations.

Of the 1800 or so people that were there

150 of them were behind closed windows 30 meters from playing area.

150 of them were sitting in the old stand 25 meters from playing area.

300 of them were sitting in the comfy seats of members area ( these comfy seats are behind 15 meters of run down seats though ) and hence these 300 were 15 meters away from playing area.

This in my opinion took 600 pf the 1800 people at the game (33%) out of the games atmosphere.

Any redevelopments like Claremont oval, and East Fremantle oval and Lathlain must take this into account and design grounds in a way that bring the spectators to the edge of the oval.

Won't even mention the $6 stubbies - ok I will.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20145

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161
It's actually called Fremantle Oval, not south Fremantle oval.

anyway , not really sure what your point is, fact is these older grounds were designed when 10 - 15 000 people were the regular norm at WAFL grounds, obviously now when your getting Sunday League turnouts all the WAFL grounds are largely obselete and inappropriate to today's games.

As I've said ground rationalisation is desperatly needed, as well downsizing of facilities to be viable,

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20146

• La Hincha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm fairly certain that ground sharing won't happen from what I can tell.

The key is we have to get better/fairer deals from the councils in terms of rent etc...much like the 16 WACA clubs do that are spread throughout the metropolitan area.

Sure, their costs aren't as high in terms of player payments but they are on a "better wicket" than us.

It's important to keep the grounds as it's getting difficult enough to attract kids to train for development squads/colts etc.

Subi are lucky as their home ground is only a 10 minute train ride from the heart of the zone. It is indeed the closest WAFL ground to the most central part of it's zone.

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20150

• La Hincha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
And god knows what we're going to do when in 30 years time when the metro area spreads out beyond Mandurah, Yanchep and most likely gets close to Northam.

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20154

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL

Bazza wrote: It's actually called Fremantle Oval, not south Fremantle oval.

anyway , not really sure what your point is, fact is these older grounds were designed when 10 - 15 000 people were the regular norm at WAFL grounds, obviously now when your getting Sunday League turnouts all the WAFL grounds are largely obselete and inappropriate to today's games.

As I've said ground rationalisation is desperatly needed, as well downsizing of facilities to be viable,

My point is that these grounds should be redeveloped to bring the now smaller crowds closer to the action. I I am well aware that the current wafl grounds were developed to cater for 10,000 plus crowds. In fact that is pretty much my point. Sorry about calling it South Fremantle oval.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20220

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161

La Hincha wrote: And god knows what we're going to do when in 30 years time when the metro area spreads out beyond Mandurah, Yanchep and most likely gets close to Northam.

I certainly hope you are not right about the ground sharing, as the current set up is a financial liability.

how can they sustain so many licensed premises with bugger all patronage. They sit there empty for 6 months of the year. Clubs in general are pushing crap up hill to make a quid, bowling clubs, rsl's etc.

The Mandurah Dockers are well placed in a area of growth..

Whats the go with Lathlain once the eagles move in??

I cant see both East Fremantle and Fremantle ovals being sustainable , I think Leederville is the best example of how to do it long term.

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20228

• La Hincha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We just have to get the same deal the 16 WACA clubs have. They all survive with a home ground no problem. And they have no revenue stream. It's as though the councils know this and charge them accordingly.

Good point about the facilities being underused. Clubs have to be more pro-active about making money out of their function areas. I think they're onto this at last.

The ground sharing thing has it's problems. Even for Subi and EP.

Our colts aren't even able to train at Leederville most of the time because of the EP and S league sides taking preference which is a massive disadvantage. We even had to secure a second oval because of it down the road a bit. Then we had to pump some cash into the second oval. Then that ground get's used for other sports in summer so we had to do pre-season at bloody city beach oval. Development squads end up in woop-woop.

Nah honest mate, I wouldn't even recommend ground sharing if you want to maximise your zone.

I'd even suggest to East Fremantle to move out into the heart of their zone and set up a deal with Murdoch University if the Town of EF doesn't play ball soon.

South Fremantle are in a good spot anyway. Kind of central as you can get with such a vast area to cover - Armadale to Leda.

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20239

• La Hincha
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Although I'd prefer in time to see all of Rockingham, Safety Bay, Warnbro go back to South and Armadale, Roleystone, Kelmscott go back to Perth.

But that is unlikely to happen until 2024.

EP and S was an exception too I guess. East Perth remained in it's zone and Subi actually got closer to it's zone. We're a bit closer to Tuart Hill now. Both clubs only had to move 2 kms to relocate. If Perth or Swans were to ever ground share it would be a disaster for their development programs. And I believe that would in time kill-off the one that moved.

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20253

• jardine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
as LaHincha said ground sharing is not without its problems. i think clubs can still work around these things as Subi & Ep do.
i would have thought once Dockers vacate to Cockburn, it would seem logical for the arch enemy east freo to move into those state of the art facilities at fremantle oval.
i dont think it would be that bad? rivalries & hatred aside.

for the record i dont mind fremantle oval. while souths are struggling the perception about the ground can be a misguided one. it may not be the most comfortbale venue, but on a good day it has a tremendous feel about the place. the most historical ground in australia. dont mess with it too much.

who is too say in a few years if both south & east are back up the top, a long weekend crowd of 15,000 is not unlikely. /

South Fremantle Oval 10 years 8 months ago #20256

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
What about the ground designs and getting people closer to the action.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 580 guests and 6 members online

• Success Hill
  • one time only
  • Blackduck
  • Tiger Tales
  • GarlicBreath

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty