Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #891

• MikeXU1
  • MikeXU1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Swan Districts FC
  • Thank you received: 0
Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Dennis Cometti,
The West Australian
Updated November 1, 2012, 5:38 am
au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/...nt-broke-why-fix-it/

The deal is done. East Perth and Peel have rolled over without due regard for their fellow WAFL clubs.

The decision to anoint East Perth and Peel as host clubs for our two AFL teams is as risky as it is disappointing.

They have accepted too little and others will be hurt by their largesse.

Despite conventional wisdom, I'm far from convinced this grab for power by the Eagles and Dockers is a good move even in a competitive sense.

Under the existing structure (to apply for one more season) it's easy to argue West Coast is the most successful club of the AFL modern era.

Since 1987 the Eagles have played in 43 finals, the same number as Geelong.

People who dismiss West Coast's competition-high 43 finals appearances in the AFL or Fremantle's resurgence under Ross Lyon by suggesting 'we could have played in more finals previously' may be missing the point.

John Worsfold has said control of a WAFL club 'might give' his club 'an additional one percent', but what if he's wrong, either way?

Over-estimated, we're witnessing a body blow to the WAFL. Another act of disrespect! For what?

Under-estimated (let's say it's as high as 5 or 10 per cent), our clubs may actually pay in draft picks.

Sometimes there is disincentive to finish 15th or 16th when you could have finished 17th or 18th, trivial things like drafting the likes of Chris Judd or Nic Naitanui.
Small percentages only count when you're good enough to win it all!

Improving poor cattle mid-table during the ups and downs of AFL footy has counter-productive written all over it.

We are dealing with very quasi science here. Still, against a background of success, maybe in another 25 years we'll know the answer.

I'm in the minority but I find it a disappointing day for local footy.

I must have misunderstood. Is the saying 'if it ain't broke, break it'?

Ric Charlesworth, regarded as Australia's most successful active coach, is also confused.

Over lunch (something planned well before Tuesday night's decision), Charlesworth expressed concern and surprise at the Eagles' and Dockers' single-minded push for control.

He, like me, thinks diversity of coaching and ideas is a major plus and that the value of an outside environment with fresh challenges and different faces favours success.

He also thinks the Eagles are well placed to win next season's flag. No argument from me.

But how's the irony?

That's when you scrap the model?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #892

• MikeXU1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Swan Districts FC
I realise the above story is 15 days old, but it is good to see high profile support for the WAFL. Dennis is true to his roots. Congratulations to the West for publishing this.

Mike

Last edit: by MikeXU1. Reason: spelling

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #894

• UNKA2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Despite some dislike from some for Cometti, i personally have always thought he is pretty well balanced in his views on footy generally. Unlike Langdon Vlahos Gossage Barich ( the list goes on and on) he (Cometti) isnt biased about WA footy ( read Eagles and Fremantle as the be all and end of footy here) and the wa v vic mentatlity that the others seem to have. The other thing is even IF people disagree with his opinion he backs it up with some logical arguement, rather than the other meatheads who CLAIM?, to be footy experts. Cometti travels allaround Australia to commentate on footy, but Langdon and his fellow buffons, make all there "calls" form the comfort of the WA bubble, yet despite his travels Commetti still has a better view on local footy.

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #897

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
Duffield wrote his article through AFL eyes, he wouldnt have a clue about the WAFL..he writes for a paper that gives us player reviews of AFL blokes playing reserves, that says it all..

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #899

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
i've never had a conversation with Mark Duffield, Dennis or anyone else who writes for the West...
Duffields article was pretty ordinary, the only people that would give him information would be WC,Freo,Peel and East Perth - no other WAFL club would talk to him as though know he has an AFL agenda in his articles.
his article contained no direct quotes from anyone conencted with any of the 7 clubs not invovled so not sure how it could be balanced, it was just an opinion piece to support his AFL mates..

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #901

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
telling like it is ?

do you know if Duffield has spoken to anyone at Swans ? or West Perth ?
or is he like John Townsend getting fed tripe from the WAFL..

didnt see any mention of the WAFL doing a 7 month investigation into Swans, finding them "guilty" of breaching the salary cap and then on appeal it was found they were not in breach - and apparently its the WAFL clubs who are "in crisis" and dont know what they are doing..

it was an opinion piece, not a balanced article..

Last edit: by MarkOlsen.

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #904

• MikeXU1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Swan Districts FC
I think Dennis would be one of the better "aussie rules" commentators. Quite often you hear him during a broadcast acknowledge where a young player has had his start, and not only the WAFL.

A number of years ago, Dennis didn't rank in my books, but I think one experience he had on TV forced him to make a conscious effort in not forgetting the lesser media focused leagues.

Dennis and Basil Zempilas were discussing the finer details of one of the AFL coaches sackings. It may have been Neesham from memory, who was also quite emotional about being speared.

Dennis was not showing much compassion until Basil pipped up and said "you should know how it feels, you got the sack as Subi?!? coach didn't you?" to which Dennis replied quite defensively along the lines of what would you know about footy? you have never played the game! Needless to say Basil informed him of time playing with West Perth!

I think Basil may have played more games for the garlic munchers than Dennis...

mike

Last edit: by MikeXU1. Reason: spelling

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #907

• Cardy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10

Good comment. Out comes my Grand Old Flag book - History of WPFC. :)

Basil Anthony Zempilas. 1990- 1994 played 5 seasons total of 24 games (must of had an injury looking at that). I do remember Basil playing as he certainly stood out due to his build. Forward line from memory? Could of even played ruck?
Kicked 25 goals

Dennis John Cometti played in 67,69,71
4 seasons played 38 games and kicked 70 goals

He also Coached WPFC 1982-1984

Dont think either guy is a Life Member of the club but could be wrong

Dennis and Basil are both great guys and easily approachable.
As are most probably aware Dennis is the WPFC No 1 ticket holder.
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head
Attachments:

Last edit: by Cardy. Reason: pics

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #910

• 58shark
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553
Love DC...Mr silk. Can't stand the greek god though!
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake

Cometti: If it ain't broke, why fix it? 11 years 5 months ago #914

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
From memory, Basil was in the ruck. Is he still connected to WP?

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 276 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977