Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80763

• RedLegs
  • RedLegs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Strong rumours are circulating that the WAAFL is set to bring in a Player Points Sytem along with more stringent rules in 2016 in an attempt to reel in player payments that the League has failed to control over many years.

Has anyone got any info on what has been proposed by a subcommittee formed to investigate the issue?

Which clubs will be affected by the introduction of a Points System and which Clubs might benefit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80769

• The Rug
  • Thank you received: 7
Personally cant see how a salary cap or points system can work and be fair. We as clubs are the ones breaking the rules to get an advantage or stay with the pack and this will continue forever unless we all agree to follow the rules. All your club has to do is say its amateur footy we are not paying players and the issue is resolved, but this will never happen so whatever rules or systems we bring in will always been broken. Clearly some clubs will be favoured by a points system probably the bigger ones so thats why they will push this and become stronger.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80812

• skfc1
  • Thank you received: 5
South Australian AMs and country have a cap for 2016, max of $500 per player with a limit of $3000 per team per match.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80831

• Mad Dog
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8

skfc1 wrote: South Australian AMs and country have a cap for 2016, max of $500 per player with a limit of $3000 per team per match.

Not much point in that!
If you were going to pay when there was no cap why would you stick the rules when one is put in place?

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80950

• The Wiz
  • Thank you received: 1
I really hope this isn't the case. Will do much more harm than good. I think you'll find most of the reason players with AFL/WAFL experience is to go back and play with their mates. Putting a points cap in place is only going to reduce the numbers of good players in the league. If a WAFL bloke wants to play with his mates but can't because of a points cap then he's not gonna go and sign up for another club is he...terrible idea

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80961

• King
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I dont like the idea if u want an even competion u might aswell throw out the grade system have a 50 team comp where all clubs play each other then give each one a premiership cup at the end. Its all crap no matter how "fair and even" u make it being a successful club still comes down to a number of things ie.
A good president and commitee that make good decisions
Going out and finding numerous and good sponsors
Putting time into your junior club
Good coaches
Good recruiting
There just a few examples the only real problem atm is the word amateur but either way clubs have been doing what there doing for along long time so the question for me is why change now its a very successful comp as it is if everyone stopped whinging and put that effort into doing something to help out or improve their local club the world would be a better place

Last edit: by King.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #80992

• Fair play
  • Thank you received: 0
I would admit that any type of system you put in place will be open to cheating but we have to allow clubs to pay players and that will stop this absolute nonsense of every club claiming they do not pay/induce players to their club. There is no doubt that most A grade clubs have or are paying or inducing players with some type of monetary gain. Those who claim to the contrary are either lying or are not involved in the transaction.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 5 months ago #81126

• Hawk Eye
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Dear Leader
  • Thank you received: 24

King wrote: .........being a successful club still comes down to a number of things
A good president and committee that make good decisions
Going out and finding numerous and good sponsors
Putting time into your junior club
Good coaches.......why change now its a very successful comp

Totally agree with King and it continues to amaze me that people complain. The WAAFL A Grade competition continues to excel.

However, more work needs to be done to encourage players to remain at their A Grade clubs by increasing the amount of "rewards based incentive" for the Best 5 players each match day. That is why I like the SAAFL model, which increases the cap payable each week to a max of $500 per player with a limit of $3000 per team per match. Based on a 20 game season that equates to $60,000 or around $3000 to a player for a good individual season.

Whilst I was once an advocate of a points system, my view now is that will not work in the best interest of the League insofar as its desire to attract and maintain the best players for the WAAFL competition.

If we recognise individual players much more "on merit" then the sponsors will get on board that concept much more readily.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 4 months ago #81654

• Birdman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Sorry, a points system ASAP. We have a strong president, a good committee, a close relationship with our affiliated junior clubs and good sponsors.

We are being absolutely screwed by clubs paying players which we do not do and do not support.

I have no issue with former players who have graduated to AFL, WAFL, SANFL, etc coming back to their original club. I have a strong issue with clubs going out and purchasing teams.

Virtually every A and B grade team does it. MANY C grade teams (right down to C4) and even down to D grade did it last year and I'm not stupid enough to believe that it hasn't been going on for YEARS.

How does a club get to the position where their league coach is on a package of well over $100,000? How could they afford it? Who's paying?

Our club turns over about $250,000 a year - a pretty good turnover. Our facilities are excellent - and improving. We have put our money into developing facilities for players and members which are the envy of most clubs. NOT ONE RED CENT goes in paying anybody other that what is allowed. The only area we are at the top of in payments allowed is with our League team weekly awards. Everything else is WAY down.

I only ask that every club competes on a level playing arena. I understand that those clubs affiliated with schools and universities will ALWAYS be ahead of the pack due to the numbers they have to chose from and the loyalties those players have to their schools and uni's. Were I still playing (too old) and in living that town, my loyalties would be to my former country school's teams.

The more I hear about the rorts being perpetrated (and the 'justifications' given), the more upset I get.

WAAFL to Introduce Player Points System in 2016 8 years 4 months ago #81719

• RedLegs
  • RedLegs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Hawkeye the SAAFL along with the SACFL as you point out have put in a state wide system that only allows a club to pay a maximum of $3000 per team per week, with a maximum of $500 per week to an individual player. This was in response to some clubs previously spending up to $460,000 per year on players do coaching payments.

What you fail to mention is that sitting over the top of this salary cap is a Player Points System in both competitions.

If the WAAFL can't control a $0 salary cap what hope does it have of controlling a $20,000, $40,000 or $60,000 salary cap?

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 305 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes