Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Vale Gough Whitlam 9 years 5 months ago #57507

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Mike -- Thanks for your comments on the East.
Bazza -- you have been on a roll, but you have not addressed the other side of the argument outlined by other posters

A few points: it is not only cost that stops people drinking in pubs, but also social responsibility around drink driving; WA has changed a lot in this respect in the forty years I have been on the planet. It is true that the ALP walked away from reform on this owing, in large part, to resistance from the working-class in the East; but, this actually illustrates why people don't want them in WA: because they are addictive and cause social problems. You put forward the figures for the VFL clubs along with others, to illustrate how WA and your much beloved WAFL clubs could benefit from the machines in terms of revenue. But, Baz, for me, these are not serious figures, ignoring, as they do, the state of football in general. In short, at least half of those ruddy clubs without massive subsidies from the AFL, would not exist, pure and simple; In this context, the 2.2 million which ST.Kilda received from the machines might as well be zero. Cheerio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vale Gough Whitlam 9 years 5 months ago #57532

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

anchorman wrote: You will never ever get the young people to go to the clubs regardless of how little they charge for drinks.
They don't want to sit around listening to grumpy old men talking about crap from 50 years ago.
If you believe that pokies will save the WAFL and other service clubs... you are living in LAla land.

Are you reading these posts, have you seen the figuresthe AFL and SANFL are bringing is..are your seriously sayng it wont help WAFL clubs,,me thinks your in lala land...or maybe 1957.

Vale Gough Whitlam 9 years 5 months ago #57534

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

ArkRoyal wrote: Mike -- Thanks for your comments on the East.
Bazza -- you have been on a roll, but you have not addressed the other side of the argument outlined by other posters

A few points: it is not only cost that stops people drinking in pubs, but also social responsibility around drink driving; WA has changed a lot in this respect in the forty years I have been on the planet. It is true that the ALP walked away from reform on this owing, in large part, to resistance from the working-class in the East; but, this actually illustrates why people don't want them in WA: because they are addictive and cause social problems. You put forward the figures for the VFL clubs along with others, to illustrate how WA and your much beloved WAFL clubs could benefit from the machines in terms of revenue. But, Baz, for me, these are not serious figures, ignoring, as they do, the state of football in general. In short, at least half of those ruddy clubs without massive subsidies from the AFL, would not exist, pure and simple; In this context, the 2.2 million which ST.Kilda received from the machines might as well be zero. Cheerio

Addressing the arguments from the other side. what are they? Social Damage..? thats easy..We will address them the same way as other states, by keeping pokies, because people like playing them and the clubs like the money...unltil the other states ban them then there is no argument the other way.

Vale Gough Whitlam 9 years 5 months ago #57548

• MikeXU1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Swan Districts FC
  • Thank you received: 0

Bazza wrote:

MikeXU1 wrote: Pokie takings for Victorian AFL Clubs last financial year

Carlton $17.5m
Collingwood $12.7m
Essendon $11.9m
Geelong $8m
Hawthorn $18.6m
Melbourne $9.4m
North (none and struggling).
Richmond $4.1m
St. Kilda $2.2m
Footscray $4.3m

Footscray will apparently double as they have another 70 machines coming.

Remembering NSW and QLD and SA have pokies too.

Machines are geared for around 90c in $1 return (here in NSW anyway).

Holy Shit!

Imagine just half of that coming in to a WAFL club.

do you have SANFL figures?

Nope I don't. Figures were taken from the Herald Sun 27th Oct 2014.

You need to remember, even if say SF had 17 machines, and turned over 300,000 they wouldn't even get $30,000 back.

I'm not sure what the licences are worth.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 347 guests and 2 members online

• one time only
  • Frothy

Newest Footy Recruits

• Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020
  • MrBulldog