Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Four umpire trial. 9 years 1 month ago #62818

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

anchorman wrote: Any one have any thoughts about the AFL trialling four central umpires this pre-season!!
I hope that it is not ever implemented during the real season. In my opinion there are too many umpires on the field as it is.
The third umpire we have now was only brought into the game to stop behind the play sniping and cowardly attack. This has been taken away with the advent of so many cameras. To me it would make sense to reduce the number of umpires that run the game now.
Adding another to the mix means that there is more room for error and disagreement among the coloured controllers.
The field seem more than congested enough now with out adding another one to the mix.

It is a strange day in paradise when A/man and I agree on something!!!! However, on this we most certainly are in accord. Four of them trying to be the centre of attention; almost enough to cause a black hole.

The alternative is go the whole way: 2 goal umpires at each end (one for each goal post) and two point umpires (one for each point post) and let's see: how about a boundary umpire for each 30 or so metres (probably about 4 or 5 boundary umpires per side of the foot oval). Of course then you would need to replicate same on the benches as reserves. I think that should amost cover us in terms of umpire requirements for the next season or two.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Four umpire trial. 9 years 1 month ago #62822

• UNKA2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116

swan42 wrote:

anchorman wrote: Any one have any thoughts about the AFL trialling four central umpires this pre-season!!
I hope that it is not ever implemented during the real season. In my opinion there are too many umpires on the field as it is.
The third umpire we have now was only brought into the game to stop behind the play sniping and cowardly attack. This has been taken away with the advent of so many cameras. To me it would make sense to reduce the number of umpires that run the game now.
Adding another to the mix means that there is more room for error and disagreement among the coloured controllers.
The field seem more than congested enough now with out adding another one to the mix.

It is a strange day in paradise when A/man and I agree on something!!!! However, on this we most certainly are in accord. Four of them trying to be the centre of attention; almost enough to cause a black hole.

The alternative is go the whole way: 2 goal umpires at each end (one for each goal post) and two point umpires (one for each point post) and let's see: how about a boundary umpire for each 30 or so metres (probably about 4 or 5 boundary umpires per side of the foot oval). Of course then you would need to replicate same on the benches as reserves. I think that should amost cover us in terms of umpire requirements for the next season or two.

Our great game is becoming nothing more rhan a reality show. Another season and another set of rules ( ala big brother etc). Serioulsy how can any "normal" person watch an AFL game with 3 or 4 umpires, THEN watch another game in another league that has 2, yet is the same sport? Its become a joke to appease EVERY sections of the community EXCEPT the genuine sports/footy fan

Four umpire trial. 9 years 1 month ago #62828

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109

swan42 wrote:

You are both missing one thing. We will then need a REVIEW umpire ( like in cricket) to give the waterboys time to pass on messages. Three Centrals is still one TOO many.

Four umpire trial. 9 years 1 month ago #63056

• yolo swaggins
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Couldnt agree more A/M! It will just make them even more whistle happy as they will be even more afraid to make a mistake.
#yolo
#swaggins

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 428 guests and one member online

• GarlicBreath

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL